HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
It kind of makes sense. Beverly Hills is about 40-50% multifamily and West Hollywood is like 90% multifamily so they're going to rank lower in these kinds of lists. They're very much a part of "the city," not like your typical wealthy leafy suburbs like Los Gatos or Palos Verdes. I still think Beverly Hills is more "elite" than either of those places though, just based on the ultra high end real estate market and the types of people that live there.
Right. And the ritzy parts of Beverly Hills have much more in common with Bel Air and Brentwood than most of West Hollywood.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Proximity to LAX, best climate of greater LA.

Which "interesting part" are you referring to? The ultra wealthy of LA live in hills of RPV which is even more remote than the South Bay.
The arc extending from Downtown to Santa Monica, between I-10 and Mulholland.

I’m talking about Newport not the South Bay / beach cities.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The arc extending from Downtown to Santa Monica, between I-10 and Mulholland.

I’m talking about Newport not the South Bay / beach cities.
That general area is boring and I wouldn't live there if I wanted an active social life. It's very nice, but mostly families and retirees. There's the beach, some canyons for hiking, and that's about it.

The one exception is the Balboa Peninsula, which has some bro-ish post-college activity, which is kind of a summer shitshow, with shared rentals and the like.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That general area is boring and I wouldn't live there if I wanted an active social life. It's very nice, but mostly families and retirees. There's the beach, some canyons for hiking, and that's about it.

The one exception is the Balboa Peninsula, which has some bro-ish post-college activity, which is kind of a summer shitshow, with shared rentals and the like.
What area are you talking about?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What area are you talking about?
Newport-CdM-Laguna. The wealthiest part of OC.

You could live a very good, but kind of empty, life in these areas:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5918...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Manhattan Beach is where it's at. I'd move there in NY minute if I had that kind of money and my wife didn't hate California.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Manhattan Beach is where it's at. I'd move there in NY minute if I had that kind of money and my wife didn't hate California.
Yeah, that's a really great area. It's got the beachfront and the coastal climate, but it is not as busy and overrun as Santa Monica-Venice, not as far-flung as Laguna, not as right wing as Huntington, nor as stuck up as Newport. Manhattan and Hermosa get the balance right.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:

You wouldn't want your family to live in a family area with other families? OC women have an active social life, or at least MTV and Bravo have told me so.

I don't see how it's all that much different from other parts of coastal LA. Beach, mountains, boating, marinas, John Wayne airport, rail. It does have newer housing stock and probably better schools compared to coastal LA County.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't want your family to live in a family area with other families? OC women have an active social life, or at least MTV and Bravo have told me so.

I don't see how it's all that much different from other parts of coastal LA. Beach, mountains, boating, marinas, John Wayne airport, rail. It does have newer housing stock and probably better schools compared to coastal LA County.
Among the more unforgettable periods of my life was when I was in training to treat substance abuse issues in Long Beach and part of it was participating in Alanon groups in Huntington Beach. The stories some of the overdressed parents told about their kids or spouses were jaw-dropping.

PS: You left out South Coast Plaza mall from your list of essential "coastal LA" assets.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Yeah, that's a really great area. It's got the beachfront and the coastal climate, but it is not as busy and overrun as Santa Monica-Venice, not as far-flung as Laguna, not as right wing as Huntington, nor as stuck up as Newport. Manhattan and Hermosa get the balance right.
Redondo is great too. The marina and the village are pretty vibrant.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I'd live there, and already have family there. But I prefer an urban lifestyle.

I spend a week in Corona del Mar every year, though, and definitely enjoy my time there.
Quote:
I don't care about boats, and Newport area has a flashy + reactionary vibe that I wouldn't prefer for my son. Huntington Beach feels like where the bad kids in Karate Kid would live, and Newport Beach is really blingy rich. Laguna is more low-key, though.

If I had unlimited funds and lived in LA/OC I'd probably live in Pacific Palisades.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
And then Beverly Hills is more on the level of Long Beach? This is just a weird ranking.
Totally. Long Beach has a wider variety and much better restaurants than Beverly Hills.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Redondo is great too. The marina and the village are pretty vibrant.
I've always preferred Redondo and Hermosa to Manhattan Beach, which I used to find very bro-ey and full of annoying Kens and Barbies driving BMWs. But Manhattan Beach has grown on me a little over the past couple of years. I still prefer the other two towns over it, though.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Proximity to LAX, best climate of greater LA.

Which "interesting part" are you referring to? The ultra wealthy of LA live in hills of RPV which is even more remote than the South Bay.
I think you mean the PVP...

And LA's ultra-wealthy are actually scattered throughout LA County; true there are concentrations of wealth, but even its "wealthy areas" are multi-nodal. When I was in my 30s, it was rumored that some Spanish royalty live in Bradbury, of all places. Not that Bradbury is a slum, of course.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:09 PM

I think the South Bay cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) feel more like San Diego than LA. They're more conservative and whiter than most of LA, and generally feel pretty insular. Lot of families who've been out there for multiple generations. I do really enjoy those beach cities, though. And I usually end up at either Manhattan or Hermosa for beach days, rather than Malibu/Santa Monica/Venice. I love all the bars and beachy restaurants and the laid back vibe.

I will say, they are all pretty dense and urban communities. While LA's beach areas don't have highrises like South Florida, they are still pretty structurally dense, and have very little green space. I have some friends who rented a place in MB one summer, Hermosa the next. I used to take my dog with me, and it'd be a bit of a challenge to even find a patch of grass for him to use the bathroom on! I don't love that aspect of the South Bay...at least the parts closest to the beach.

examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8881...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8895...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8653...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by edale; May 11, 2021 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I've always preferred Redondo and Hermosa to Manhattan Beach, which I used to find very bro-ey and full of annoying Kens and Barbies driving BMWs. But Manhattan Beach has grown on me a little over the past couple of years. I still prefer the other two towns over it, though.
I saw that in all those little towns but I chalked it up expensive trendy areas. Bro's are common pretty much anywhere you find new money.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:22 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I saw that in all those little towns but I chalked it up expensive trendy areas. Bro's are common pretty much anywhere you find new money.
They're all over the Marina District in SF. In fact, Fort Mason is now known as Frat Mason, with Brolympics and Mr. Marina pageants.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I think you mean the PVP...
Yep, that's what I meant. RPV is more specific to the PVP, but I meant PVP when I said RPV.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
They're all over the Marina District in SF. In fact, Fort Mason is now known as Frat Mason, with Brolympics and Mr. Marina pageants.
I can see that. It's pretty swanky neighbrohood with the Insta models swarming the PoFA and celebrities living in the area.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The Marina has been bro central for years! The 'triangle bars' were a popular place for USC greeks to go during "the weekender", which was when SC played at either Stanford or Cal, and tons of students would caravan up and take over the Marina. Not my scene, but been a few times. Also know someone who competed in the Mr. Marina pageant. Yes, he sucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions