HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Thanks for your comments, citywatch.

I beg to differ, however, on food looking similar throughout the country.

Here's a picture I took of a chicken breast salad in a neighboring state at the end of 2019; before clicking the link, think of the image you might have of a chicken breast salad, and then click the link: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...72c81f51_b.jpg

Aren't you like, 'WTF??' Look what they did to the chicken breast. And cheddar cheese?? What the hell?!? It's a mess.

And have you ever had Mexican food in Wisconsin? Here's a yelper's picture of "authentic" Mexican food in Wisconsin: https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...myCGHHzA/o.jpg

Look at those chips. And the yelper referred to that white stuff as "salsa blanca." What the fuck is that?? Like ranch dressing or something? Isn't it appalling?

I named this thread "My Los Ángeles." I post pictures of what I see in *MY* Los Ángeles. The food. The people. The landscapes. The art. Things I love and appreciate and connect with in my county. Things that stimulate my senses. My Los Ángeles.
What a pretentious post

I definitely find your people photos to be odd and intrusive. I don't mind the food pics, but it does come off like you're trying to boast about how worldly and cosmopolitan your tastes are. I'm not really sure what was wrong with the salad you posted, but I'm sure you could be served something similar at a greasy spoon type of place in LA.

40% of Milwaukee is Hispanic, be sure to tell them there's no authentic Mexican food in Wisconsin. Your post feels just like those periodic New York hit pieces on LA. Declaring it a vapid suburb pretending to be a city with no culture and shitty pizza. People who act like that are usually doing so out of insecurity.

I like seeing your photos of different LA neighborhoods, but this whole post was just gross.

Last edited by edale; May 4, 2021 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What a pretentious post

I definitely find your people photos to be odd and intrusive. I don't mind the food pics, but it does come off like you're trying to boast about how worldly and cosmopolitan your tastes are. I'm not really sure what was wrong with the salad you posted, but I'm sure you could be served something similar at a greasy spoon type of place in LA.

40% of Milwaukee is Hispanic, be sure to tell them there's no authentic Mexican food in Wisconsin. Your post feels just like those periodic New York hit pieces on LA. Declaring it a vapid suburb pretending to be a city with no culture and shitty pizza. People who act like that are usually doing so out of insecurity.

I like seeing your photos of different LA neighborhoods, but this whole post was just gross.
What's pretentious about it? I'm not putting on any pretenses; if you're implying that I'm putting on airs, I have no airs to put on. I rent an apartment and drive a Yaris. I don't start threads that say "How many countries have you been to?" or "I'm thinking of investing in/purchasing a fill-in-the-blank, but I need an opinion on blah-blah-blah." I don't post photos of LA to make it try to look as "urban" as the next "urban" city. I post fricking pictures of strip malls, but strip malls in surroundings I feel you don't see in most other American cities... strip malls I see all the time.

I was countering citywatch's "food looks the same everywhere in the US" (paraphrasing, I know), because it doesn't. I have indeed had Mexican food in Wisconsin. It's not the same. But the white sauce was a first for me, I'd never heard of it. I have since looked it up, and I'm sure even you will be surprised to learn what it's made of.

And you think I'm boasting that my tastes are worldly and cosmopolitan? This is food you can get in Los Angeles. And it's not even "fine dining." A lot of it is very affordable ethnic food in strip malls. This is food that you've been able to get in the LA area for decades, yet many people are apt to say that a city's food scene is defined by how many Michelin-rated restaurants it has, and LA has very few Michelin-rated restaurants I think.. I wouldn't know, I don't pay attention to that stuff. I just eat where I know the food tastes good.

And people post pics of crowd shots all the time; how are my pictures of people different? They're out in public view and know they're in public view. I guess my trying to showcase the food and people of LA has made a few people react badly? It's not like I took pictures of people taking a dump or something, and it's not like I took pictures of obese Walmart shoppers in electric wheelchairs with the goal of ridiculing them; now THAT'S rude.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:20 PM

Well the quality of food does differ widely across the country and the world. It's one of the first things I notice when I travel, and something that I no longer take for granted. No need to get sensitive about that.

And I don't find these pictures to be "pretentious" at all. Quite the opposite. They're very down to earth - very few touristy places or skyline shots, just everyday images of life in the city. Actually, since I live here and I've seen all those places, I might find the food pics more interesting than the street scenes... but who knew people would get all up in their feelings over pictures of food

btw, just ignore citywatch. He's a well known troll who likes to post exploitative videos of ghetto tours and homeless encampments who now pretends to care about intrusiveness and privacy. His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I beg to differ, however, on food looking similar throughout the country.

Here's a picture I took of a chicken breast salad in a neighboring state at the end of 2019; before clicking the link, think of the image you might have of a chicken breast salad, and then click the link

Aren't you like, 'WTF??' Look what they did to the chicken breast. And cheddar cheese?? What the hell?!? It's a mess.

I named this thread "My Los Ángeles." I post pictures of what I see in *MY* Los Ángeles. The food. The people. The landscapes. The art. Things I love and appreciate and connect with in my county. Things that stimulate my senses. My Los Ángeles.

Yea, comparing & contrasting food like that I can get into....that provides a very interesting full context.

Your format of pics is actually the rule, not the exception, in most of the pictorial books I've seen at Barnes & Noble or other book stores. Professional photographers tend to like showing ppl or things that are animate & more personal vs mainly the inanimate & mainly public.

I tend to be the other way around....mainly because close ups of ppl pr things like food, inside of stores, don't allow me to as easily identify a place, inc LA. But I get why showing ppl in a setting is preferred by photographers, for the same reason that an empty area is less lively than a place bustling with pedestrians or shoppers.

In the yrs I've been going to dtla, I always come away feeling one way after seeing a lot of ppl out & about....by contrast, when I've gone there & the streets & sidewalks are sort of dead, I feel less good about dt.

But I'm so interested in seeing as many pics of dt & LA as possible, in terms of THE place, that when photos don't show that, I become disappointed. But I just have a different take on what images best reflect a city compared with what many professional photographers prefer.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:46 AM

Yes, food is different in cities. Prentinous or not, I've noticed food in LA is "healthier" than most of the country, generally speaking. Even In and Out is a healthier option than Five Guys or something. But anyway, I don't think the food pics are weird. It's interesting.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 5:14 AM
Paradise Island

I like the food pics, and there is a long tradition of them here. Kingofthehill had some great food pics back in the day. On the other hand take anything Yelpers say about food with a grain of salt. A lot of Yelpers are morons. You can find real Mexican food in Milwaukee but those photos aren't it. And that chicken salad would be considered hack work in Minneapolis.

As a side note Chef isn't just my user name, I've also been a restaurant chef for decades, mostly in fine dining. It is not hard to find California transplants cooking in Midwestern cities. A lot of second generation Americans who's parents immigrated to California from Latin America or Asia are spreading out into the rest of the country in search of lower cost of living.

In general you can find good food in most big cities in the US these days, the fall off tends to be big cities vs small cities vs small towns.

Last edited by Chef; May 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 5:56 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I'm glad you chimed in, Chef... because, I had a cheesecake today:

Photo by me

It was pretty delicious. I'm sure you can appreciate a good cheesecake, and you probably make some pretty good cheesecakes yourself.

Here's a non-intrusive shot of the restaurant:

Photo by me

It helps to get there early, before the crowd arrives at the more traditional dinner hour.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:51 PM

^ The resolution on that cheesecake photo is amazing. I'm tempted to stick a fork in my screen... but I'll resist the urge.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 9:46 PM

Just a few photos taken over the weekend of 5.15-5.16.2021.

May Gray and a bit of drizzle...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:22 AM

Random photos taken Sunday, 5.23.2021.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:01 AM

The jacarandas are in bloom in my 'hood. Photos taken Thursday, 6.3.2021.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:26 AM

Tag along with my partner and me to dinner. We wanted to check out a new restaurant that calls itself a cheesery.

El Chicano, a band from Los Angeles, singing "Sabor A Mi":
Video Link

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We're definitely coming back to this place.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:27 AM

Random photos taken around town, Sunday, 6.6.2021.

An Arizonan who likes Selena, I presume.

Photo by me

I did a double-take when I saw this plate; North Carolina, First In Freedom? But they were a slave state?

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:25 AM

Come walk with my partner and me to dinner! Hump Day! 6.9.2021.

A block away from...

Photo by me

...this place.

Photo by me

Grüner veltliner.

Photo by me

Trout almondine.

Photo by me

Butterscotch budino.

Photo by me

All very yummy.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:54 AM

Random photos taken over the weekend of 6.12-13.2021.

My partner and I saw a movie in an actual theater, something we hadn't done in well over a year.

Photo by me

Condensation trail at sunset over dinner.

Photo by me

Olive oil cake for dessert...

Photo by me

...which went well with Txakolina.

Photo by me

Out and about, enjoying the beautiful weather, and eating across the city.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Curry goat.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

My partner's pizza, which had salami, sausage, mushrooms, olives and bell peppers.

Photo by me

I had a pistachio and mascarpone pizza.

Photo by me

Napoleon for dessert.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Italian sangria.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jun 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 7:27 AM

Random photos taken Saturday, 6.19.2021.

Photo by me

Albariño.

Photo by me

Seafood squid ink pasta.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:44 PM

It's really nice this time of year with the jacarandas blooming.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:03 AM

Just a few pics taken today (Sunday, 6.27.2021).

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 7:17 PM

Random photos taken Saturday, 7.11.2021.

Replica vintage Porsche?

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

All those cargo ships... our economy is definitely on its way back.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Closing time.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:33 AM

Nice photos. That looks like the Seal Beach pier. It doesn’t look the same without the Ruby’s Diner at the end of the pier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos