HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:51 AM
Time/Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Agree NYC4life. I only spent 3 months in New York, but I loved being up in the Bronx and would have never imagined these area looking like this. The service drive off the expressway shown above still looks kinds of messy sans the tires, but I've been up and down Tremont and looks nothing like what is shown above today. It's pretty busy and lots of stores.

Although, I think a few of the addresses above might be off by a little. But they are close.

Talk about change (for the better)

This shot however:

Still looks somewhat the same. However all the buildings looks a lot cleaner and there's no trash. I hope someday the Bronx Courthouse gets renovated.
This is what is getting built right next to it. Boricua Village...

Boricua Village Project

Market:
Melrose, Bronx, NY

Property Description:
Boricua Village is comprised of 4.5 acres with
approx. 460 feet of frontage on Washington
Ave. and 525 feet on East 163rd St.

Market Info:
Boricua Village is located at the entrance to the Melrose Commons Urban Renewal Project (see “Neighborhood” for map of area) and is only a few minutes away from The Grand Concourse, the new Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Borough Center, Concourse Village, Lincoln Hospital and Hostos Community College. There are many residents currently living within walking distance of this new development. The Melrose Commons Urban Renewal Plan is bounded on the North side by East 163rd Street, on the East side by Brook Avenue, on the South side by East 156th Street, and by Park Avenue on the West side.

Development:
This site is a future development comprising of:

750 residential rental units
110,000 sq. ft. state of the art college with 2,400 students enrolled
Approximately 40,000 sq. ft. of retail space that will feature full-height glass windows, high ceilings, and large frontages on Elton Avenue, 163rd Street and Third Avenue.

Located at the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and East 163rd Street with easy access to the I-95.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:54 AM
Time/Space

Here are some photos of the over all development in the area...

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=240

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:47 AM
Time/Space

The construction going up in the first shot is called Courtlandt Corners. A 323-unit mixed-income housing development with ground-floor retail space.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 8:57 PM

Some great changes happening in the Bronx!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 9:52 PM
tilted & shifted

Thanks for the update, Jularc. I'm currently reading We're Still Here: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of The South Bronx by Jill Jonnes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:22 PM
Urban Advocate

Unreal pics. Thanks guys! I can't believe how desolate it was... and the transformation that has (and continues) to take place.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 4:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

really awesome grit.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
The construction going up in the first shot is called Courtlandt Corners. A 323-unit mixed-income housing development with ground-floor retail space.
Cortlandt Corners? I wonder if this isn't a reference to the Cortlandt Homes designed and blown up by Howard Roark in The Fountainhead? I mean they were supposed to be in or around the Bronx and were a housing project. Then they were blown up and ended up a pile of rubble just like the lot Cortlandt corners now stands on once was.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 1:50 AM

Lots of fond memories. I actually walked some of those streets back in the 60's and 70's when I lived on Crotona Pk No. Went to St. Thomas Aquinas on Daly Avenue near Southern Blvd, till 1973. Drove by there about a year ago, completely different than what I remembered.

Still can't get use to the sight of private homes in the Bronx, but have to admit they have help stablized neighborhoods. The Bronx lost a lot of housing stock that will be very difficult to replace. I think that why although NYC populations is at an all-time high, the Bronx has yet to reach its peak population of 1.4 million which it saw in 1960-1970 period.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yves M

Fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing these precious documents and to all the people who took pictures of the South Bronx in the 70's and 80's.

1983 French movie "Banzai" with famous comedian Coluche features a scene filmed in the South Bronx (depicted as Harlem in the movie, maybe because Harlem was more famous than the Bronx in France in the 80's ?).
Here is this scene : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19myd_banzai_ads

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:49 AM

Wow, some of the most depressing, haunting pics I have ever seen. Makes one despair for humanity, as there is none in those photos. They play like the end of time. Yet, good to see almost all of those wastelands have been reconstructed.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:16 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves M View Post
Fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing these precious documents and to all the people who took pictures of the South Bronx in the 70's and 80's.

1983 French movie "Banzai" with famous comedian Coluche features a scene filmed in the South Bronx (depicted as Harlem in the movie, maybe because Harlem was more famous than the Bronx in France in the 80's ?).
Here is this scene : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19myd_banzai_ads
Yves, that video clip is a gem, thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 6:56 PM

Thanks for that clip!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Cortlandt Corners? I wonder if this isn't a reference to the Cortlandt Homes designed and blown up by Howard Roark in The Fountainhead? I mean they were supposed to be in or around the Bronx and were a housing project. Then they were blown up and ended up a pile of rubble just like the lot Cortlandt corners now stands on once was.
The Van Cortlandts are an old New York family, and were big landowners in the area that later became the Bronx. Many things in NYC are named after them. I don't think there was any conscious effort on the developers to make an obscure Ayn Rand reference... just a historical one.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 10:52 PM
Time/Space

From this...

To this...

Bronx Parks Twofer: Concrete Plant Park & Ferry Point Park

Wednesday, September 16, 2009, by Lockhart

From the department of flying way too low under the radar, here's our first look at the remade Concrete Plant Park in the Crotona Park section of The Bronx. A neighborhood activists' dream for the better part of the decade, the park occupies the site of an abandoned—yes—concrete plant, on the banks of the Bronx River between the Bruckner Expressway and Westchester Avenue (below). What makes this 2.7 acre park unique in the new-generation of NYC greenspace, however, is the degree to which the numerous industrial objects that defined the site have been kept and reworked into its fabric. The park apparently opened to the public earlier this month; while we plan to get our asses up there, anyone had a look around and want to shed more light?

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/09/1...point_park.php

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 9:58 PM

YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgUsEVwXch0[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNgx...eature=related" target="_blank">Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtI-E...eature=related" target="_blank">Video Link

Last edited by kingcity; Aug 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 7:51 PM

Thanks for that Jularc, had no idea any of that was going on.

This thread is amazing as well. Genuinely looks post apocalyptic. Unreal.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 8:18 PM

bronx in the 1980s looks better than today^^

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 9:07 PM

where are the worst parts of the bronx today? so i can visit them

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The old south bronx photos are like crack cocaine. I can't kick the habit of reviewing them every 6 months or so.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos