HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Only on the lower hotel levels. It's like they gave up on the upper portion and asked the accountants to design it.
Ha, yeah. I think on the east side you are right. On the other 3 sides though I believe they go all the way up.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 8:22 PM
Chicago

I'm not a fan of the final design either, but it could have been worse.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 10:01 PM

Maybe my opinion will improve slightly when the skip comes down and the vertical "slice" near the northeast corner materializes. I doubt it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
They definitely could've repurposed the original building (or at least a facadectomy) and build a tall, modern hotel above. Maybe in a bronze finish akin to 9 Dekalb to complement the C&C building next door.
Even if they didn't save the old commercial building, a facade similar to 9 Dekalb would have been incredible at this site. 9 Dekalb is my favorite UC building in the world.

I wish SHoP's designers would come to Chicago and save us from ourselves.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:54 AM

What do they do with those old water towers on top of buildings after their dismantled? Wish we had a museum of Chicago ones.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:37 AM

Lol this is going to be a CitizenM. I went to Boston late November and booked there for a week and a half and paid from here in Chicago thinking I would work from a desk in the hotel room. The room was tiny tiny and the desk was 1.5 feet in width and 1 foot in depth. I checked out the next morning. But alas this was all my fault for not looking into the hotel. The hotel gears towards a demographic I wasn't looking for. But I must say the customer service was excellent. The customer service was polite and attentive and fast. They refunded my money even though I booked and paid through a third party app. Everything was really clean and was geared for something I wasn't looking for. But if I was looking for what the hotel offers this would have been excellent. I think having CitizenM in Chicago will be a good thing. To bad about the old brick building going away though.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 7:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
this is the worst kind of filler... it takes away from the built environment with its blasé curtain wall, mediocre height, and thoughtless positioning (blocking a historic view of the C&C building)
Spot on, the tower itself is fine, but for that sight there should have been better consideration with it's surroundings. Even just a modest setback or two could have done wonders with the design of this building, plus that could have been a trade off to give it more height while also protecting the view of the C&C building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Lol this is going to be a CitizenM. I went to Boston late November and booked there for a week and a half and paid from here in Chicago thinking I would work from a desk in the hotel room. The room was tiny tiny and the desk was 1.5 feet in width and 1 foot in depth. I checked out the next morning. But alas this was all my fault for not looking into the hotel. The hotel gears towards a demographic I wasn't looking for. But I must say the customer service was excellent. The customer service was polite and attentive and fast. They refunded my money even though I booked and paid through a third party app. Everything was really clean and was geared for something I wasn't looking for. But if I was looking for what the hotel offers this would have been excellent. I think having CitizenM in Chicago will be a good thing. To bad about the old brick building going away though.
Yeah as mentioned above I visited some friends staying in one in New York. It's basically ultra small rooms at affordable price but with very nice finishes/customer service/amenities that a more expensive hotel would have. If you're not aware of this when booking I'm sure it would be a bit of a shock. But for locals this should be a nice place to enjoy the bar/patio/roof or whatever they have.

Agreed it's a win to have this option and adds tot the diversity of hotel options available in the city. Kind of like the relatively new Moxy in River North which a lot of people seem to love staying in.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Not to mention the one embellishment they chose to include doesn't even line up with the edge of the building (or the other set?). Design obviously wasn't a priority for the developers, and it shows.
embarrassing. my 80 year old back porch has a tighter tolerance than that

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 10:51 PM

Jan 7

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:29 PM
1st Ward

Well, its a 500 footer. Add it to the big board, and lets move on.

Great shots as always, Harry!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Yes agree. The problems with this building imho ARE the V columns and off base. A well executed glass box with the curtain wall extending straight down flush to the sidewalk might have been pulled off here - but this is a hopelessly compromized design. I thought it had a chance but it just looks like another pedistal on a podium.
A pedestal and a podium are basically the same thing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Jan 7

Good infill. Don't understand the hate. Nice blend of classical and new architecture, and it looks good from the brown line flyover and coming north up michigan ave. Not everything needs to be a supertall, now the salesforce tower should've been that.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Good infill. Don't understand the hate. Nice blend of classical and new architecture, and it looks good from the brown line flyover and coming north up michigan ave. Not everything needs to be a supertall, now the salesforce tower should've been that.
There is absolutely no way this is visible from the flyover

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
There is absolutely no way this is visible from the flyover
Perhaps he meant the bridge over the river?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 6:58 PM

[QUOTE=Drcastro;9497371]A pedestal and a podium are basically the same
Sorry - 'or' a podium

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 7:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Jan 7

Thanks Harry - I think this image alone highlights what's wrong with the building design: cold, incredibly bland, thoughtless, monolithic and a complete disregard of the historic view corridor highlighting five gems of Chicago architecture, now gone forever because of this monstrosity. They could have easily stepped the Michigan Ave facade back 20' to maintain the original view, while building a taller building (and even possibly commanding higher rents for top level apartments). I blame Magellan, Tom Kerwin, and to a lesser extend SB.

Wikipedia

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 7:55 PM

I'm in the camp that likes this building. Yes it's a glass box but with a fair amount of nice, simple but effective details. The horizontal white bands contrasting especially noticeable black vertical lines between glass panes which are not just a perfect grid but varied in pattern. Furthermore, the construction looks "tight", sharp and crisp. Look at Solarwinds second picture on post #341 for example. That is a fricken tight corner and looks bad ass imho.

Finally, this building is kind of in a peculiar location as far as Michigan Ave goes. It is tucked away from the vast open space of Millenium park, fairly hidden from any type of full view like the other buildings facing Grant Park, etal. Michigan Ave is sort of broken into two parts divided by Wacker, a very robust and busy street. The block or so south of Wacker is a bit in no mans land. I would think people are either on the Mag Mile portion or the portion facing the parks.

I don't blame the developer one bit for choosing not to waste valuable resource doing some fancy pants design that no one will hardly see from the parks. And still, it's not bad at all. Very nicely constructed. And with all those operable windows on every floor, it could add an unexpected air of coolness to it in the summer months. Like little fins randomly jutting out of a wall of glass.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:13 PM

By the day' lsat light.

Jan 27

Last edited by harryc; Jan 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 7:48 AM

great shot of the shadow from the Jeweler's Building cast upon the greyscale hotel party wall!

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_Zach View Post
With all due respect to HarryC, the light being cast from the west would be late light of dusk, not the early light of dawn!

New poster here. I am also in the camp that holds appreciation for this building. It adds a fresh look to the beautiful and historic cluster.

The angle in that Jan 7 photo looks to be from the middle of NB Michigan Ave. My guess is if you move onto the sidewalk, C&C will appear perfectly centered between 333 and 300 N Mich.
Good catch - ty !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive