Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
It is interesting that in a "forum" I am accused of being slow and that I didn't "get it" because I do not agree with how this building is being promoted.

It is as if I am an infidel and that as if I am too wordy because I participate with words on a forum. Not being a part of a herd does not mean I am

the slow one.

This building is, and will continue to be, as much an eyesore as it is a creative endeavor.
You are the one who criticized someone else's writing quite pointedly in imho as being wordy, or at least very picky on choice of words...sooooo...yeah , well, you know, that's just like your opinion man..

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 5:18 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
It is interesting that in a "forum" I am accused of being slow and that I didn't "get it" because I do not agree with how this building is being promoted.
Your reading comprehension skills are terrible.

The only thing I accused you of being "slow" on was your capability to grasp the notion that different people can have different opinions about subjective matters of taste.

If you hate the building or think it's ugly or terrible or whatever, that's just super. It ain't never gonna be any skin off my back.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 19, 2021 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 7:56 PM

I feel confident with St. Regis on board this building will be a hot spot in years to come. But as of today, the sales team has their work cut out for them to get more of those upper floors with some lights on.

Btw, if any adventurer is able to snag any interior shots of the progress of the hotel/restaurant spaces that would be a great addition to this thread.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 11:34 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

A few from today:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I feel confident with St. Regis on board this building will be a hot spot in years to come. But as of today, the sales team has their work cut out for them to get more of those upper floors with some lights on.

Btw, if any adventurer is able to snag any interior shots of the progress of the hotel/restaurant spaces that would be a great addition to this thread.
I agree! Once the restaurant and bar opens as well as events being held in their event spaces, it will be more lively and a great place to congregate at.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
A few from today:
great little run-down, looks like a nice walk.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
If you live in Lakeshore East, you're not living Downtown. I know a number of people that lived there and they all said they liked it because it was quiet.

Come to think of it, I know people that live in the Loop in part because it is so quiet on the weekends (pre-COVID, of course).
Ensuring the neighborhood stays quite - and does NOT turn into a path to the lakefront !

n.b. the very constricted stairs on the right - no crowds allowed.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:11 PM

Hotel lobby -

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Hotel lobby -

Nice shots, kolchak. Looks like they got a ways to go but with that ceiling height, this lobby should be pretty grand indeed. St. Regis is really gonna class this place up.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:47 PM
TL;DR

LSE is only quiet because the street patterns route car traffic around the area instead of through it. I can see how that might be unsettling for people who live in the rest of the city surrounded by auto sewers. If you're used to noise all the time, then the lack of it is weird.

However, LSE has plenty of pedestrian activity and it is very lively especially during nice weather. The park is very well-used. There are grocery stores (plural), restaurants, cafes, and services like dry cleaners, nail salon etc. If that isn't enough, it's a short walk into the Loop or Streeterville for more stuff. GEMS School is private and has more than its fair share of kids getting dropped off in G-wagons, but you do see children and families walking around which is far more than you see in River North or Streeterville.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but clearly a lot of people have moved there so it certainly has appeal.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:14 PM
1st Ward

That and the fact that LSE is not on anyone's way to anywhere. The only real "main street" type thoroughfare is Columbus Dr. on the far western end of the parcel. You have LSD on the east, but that's basically a highway of cars zipping by. Wacker and Randolph east of Columbus are more or less on-ramps to LSD. Otherwise I agree with everyone, the few times I have been to LSE on foot, there is a good amount of pedestrian activity (during the summers).

If I have one complaint about the street situation there, its that the circulator street around the park (Benton, Westshore, South Water, Park) is very narrow and makes anyone driving on that street feel like they are on some suburban access drive or frontage road. I wouldn't have minded wider streets. Not that I would want additional traffic lanes, but adding a parking/biking lane to increase the width of those streets would have gone a long way to making the street feel more like a Chicago residential side street. The narrow roads give me Dearborn Park vibes. Otherwise, its an excellent urban development that I have really enjoyed watching rise the last 2 decades. Can't wait for the last 2 parcels (Site I and Site O) to hash out!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:34 PM

It's a residential neighborhood with residential amenities. . . the fact that it sits smack dab in the middle of any postcard view of Chicago doesn't mean it owes anything to people who don't live there. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
That and the fact that LSE is not on anyone's way to anywhere. The only real "main street" type thoroughfare is Columbus Dr. on the far western end of the parcel. You have LSD on the east, but that's basically a highway of cars zipping by. Wacker and Randolph east of Columbus are more or less on-ramps to LSD. Otherwise I agree with everyone, the few times I have been to LSE on foot, there is a good amount of pedestrian activity (during the summers).

If I have one complaint about the street situation there, its that the circulator street around the park (Benton, Westshore, South Water, Park) is very narrow and makes anyone driving on that street feel like they are on some suburban access drive or frontage road. I wouldn't have minded wider streets. Not that I would want additional traffic lanes, but adding a parking/biking lane to increase the width of those streets would have gone a long way to making the street feel more like a Chicago residential side street. The narrow roads give me Dearborn Park vibes. Otherwise, its an excellent urban development that I have really enjoyed watching rise the last 2 decades. Can't wait for the last 2 parcels (Site I and Site O) to hash out!
Lmao sorry but narrow streets are awesome and much much safer for everyone. Why would you need to go faster on a two block long road? Not to mention that the road circles a park extensively used by children, slow speeds should be encouraged and the single most effective way of doing that is by making the street narrow. And because the road encourages such low speeds, it's safe for cyclists to share the road without widening it, which makes it easier for pedestrians to cross. We should have more streets like it, all the streets through Millennium/grant park would benefit from such a design, route all the traffic onto Roosevelt and lower Columbus

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 3:08 PM
BANNED

This tower looks stunning.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:18 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Lmao sorry but narrow streets are awesome and much much safer for everyone. Why would you need to go faster on a two block long road? Not to mention that the road circles a park extensively used by children, slow speeds should be encouraged and the single most effective way of doing that is by making the street narrow. And because the road encourages such low speeds, it's safe for cyclists to share the road without widening it, which makes it easier for pedestrians to cross. We should have more streets like it, all the streets through Millennium/grant park would benefit from such a design, route all the traffic onto Roosevelt and lower Columbus
Adding a bike lane/parking lane would make these roads unsafe? I never said I wanted traffic to go faster on these roads, I simply said that these very narrow streets without parking lanes did not resemble typical Chicago residential side streets. I also said it was not a major problem, more of an observation. If safety is such a concern, by all means add speed humps every 15 feet. Not that it matters, since the roadways will not be getting a redesign anytime soon.

And I am all for reducing, if not outright removing all the streets in Grant Park. I could see why removing Columbus would be difficult since it is such a large traffic distributor, which in that case tunneling under the park would be great, although fiscally impractical. Monroe, Jackson, Balbo and Ida B Wells Dr. (west of Congress Plaza Drive) should be entirely removed (except for short sections of Monroe and Jackson that would be needed for access/service drives to the Art Institute).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 1:27 PM
The City

Are they done building that connector road that runs underneath this tower. I want to go check that out in person some day. That will allow through traffic as well

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Are they done building that connector road that runs underneath this tower. I want to go check that out in person some day. That will allow through traffic as well
Yeah, it's been open since last spring.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
There are pictures of it completed earlier in this thread.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 5:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Adding a bike lane/parking lane would make these roads unsafe? I never said I wanted traffic to go faster on these roads, I simply said that these very narrow streets without parking lanes did not resemble typical Chicago residential side streets. I also said it was not a major problem, more of an observation. If safety is such a concern, by all means add speed humps every 15 feet. Not that it matters, since the roadways will not be getting a redesign anytime soon.

And I am all for reducing, if not outright removing all the streets in Grant Park. I could see why removing Columbus would be difficult since it is such a large traffic distributor, which in that case tunneling under the park would be great, although fiscally impractical. Monroe, Jackson, Balbo and Ida B Wells Dr. (west of Congress Plaza Drive) should be entirely removed (except for short sections of Monroe and Jackson that would be needed for access/service drives to the Art Institute).
I agree the upper-level streets in LSE aren't great. The sidewalks are too narrow, I don't even think they meet ADA (not enough clear space around obstructions). They tried to "soften it up" with planter boxes and that just made things worse.

In that StreetView link, you can see that the roadway is plenty wide for two-way traffic and parked cars on both sides, but parking is banned on those streets so they just feel wide and hostile. (36' curb to curb)

Thankfully the new sections that were built as part of Vista/St Regis are much better. High-quality pavers, decent space for pedestrians, and narrower driving lanes/narrower turn radii to calm traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/F7ZaCM5UTYpohjGo7

Quote:
They're done building it, but it doesn't really allow "through traffic" exactly because it connects to the sub level of Wacker (the lowest level where the auto pound is) and not to Lower Wacker (the middle level that is a busy 6-lane connector road). Sub Wacker just leads you to other sub level streets with loading docks, or the parent dropoff area for GEMS. You have to go up a level to exit the LSE/Illinois Center area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture