HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 11:50 PM

I noticed today that the Portland on the park is actually happening, there was a crww and equipment on site. Same for Union and the scientology apartments.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:02 AM

Also, to touch on the 3rd street steel buildings, the ownership is listed under Urban Flower LLC, of which a member chef Walter Sterling is a member. The building design with a street facing entrance as well as a fairly successful catering chef being involved tell me that this is going to be a restaurant and/or event space and office for the business. I can't dig up much info on the managing member of the company other than where he lives or lived in San Francisco and owns a business called Lab Design Collaborative. It appears to me that he is the architect for the building and may be a partner in an upcoming restaurant.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Apr 24, 2015 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I noticed today that the Portland on the park is actually happening, there was a crww and equipment on site. Same for Union and the scientology apartments.
If you're in the area again can you take pictures and post them?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:56 PM

Another 3rd st. development I noticed this morning... there was a sign on the NW corner of Thomas and 3rd for a zoning hearing. My picture I snapped from the car didn't turn out but it said something about increasing from 154 units to the "maximum allowable."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Another 3rd st. development I noticed this morning... there was a sign on the NW corner of Thomas and 3rd for a zoning hearing. My picture I snapped from the car didn't turn out but it said something about increasing from 154 units to the "maximum allowable."
I noticed that too and I've been trying to find some information about it online. Does anyone know how to look up Zoning Cases on the City's website?

I found this, which makes it seem like it includes everything on that whole block, except those semi-new townhomes. This includes the Winnie Ruth Judd house (I think it was talked about a few weeks ago). It also includes a couple other decent historic homes and one interesting duplex.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...x?LID=18083474

I think there should be some information within the Zoning case, if not, I'll try to read the sign after work.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:04 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I noticed that too and I've been trying to find some information about it online. Does anyone know how to look up Zoning Cases on the City's website?

I found this, which makes it seem like it includes everything on that whole block, except those semi-new townhomes. This includes the Winnie Ruth Judd house (I think it was talked about a few weeks ago). It also includes a couple other decent historic homes and one interesting duplex.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...x?LID=18083474

I think there should be some information within the Zoning case, if not, I'll try to read the sign after work.
We (the HP community) have been in pretty constant contact w/ the developer on this one. Everything from 3rd St to 2nd St, Thomas to Catalina is going away. With the exception of the new-ish townhomes and....the Winnie Ruth Judd murder house. We convinced them to keep that one, which worked out well since it's on a corner.

From an architectural POV, there's actually a yellow brick house on 2nd St that's pretty nice and more interesting than the Judd murder house. Obviously though not as historically interesting/notable.

I have yet to see any real renderings/elevations though. I think it's 3 stories if memory serves....it should be similar scale to those townhomes on Catalina.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
We (the HP community) have been in pretty constant contact w/ the developer on this one. Everything from 3rd St to 2nd St, Thomas to Catalina is going away. With the exception of the new-ish townhomes and....the Winnie Ruth Judd murder house. We convinced them to keep that one, which worked out well since it's on a corner.

From an architectural POV, there's actually a yellow brick house on 2nd St that's pretty nice and more interesting than the Judd murder house. Obviously though not as historically interesting/notable.

I have yet to see any real renderings/elevations though. I think it's 3 stories if memory serves....it should be similar scale to those townhomes on Catalina.

Nice work. Glad they're saving the Judd House.

That's a big accumulation of land though for a bunch of 3 story townhomes.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:12 PM
Skyriser

Hoover are you sure it's 3 story townhomes, or is there another component?

154 units over 4.2 acres isn't super dense, but it'd be denser than townhomes, and they're seeking an increase over that.

I bet they have different plans for the lot based on what kind of density they can get from zoning.

As an aside ... $1.5 million/acre ... land in SF is 20x more costly than that for a "similar" location (along a transit line in the city center). Wow.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:29 PM

Valley Bar to bring live music, hot dogs and parlor games to Central Avenue

Quote:
Crescent Ballroom co-owners Charlie Levy and Tucker Woodbury are opening a second live venue named Valley Bar downtown, which will start hosting bands next month.

The underground bar will be located in the basement level of a three-story building on Central Avenue south of Monroe Street, near the intersection of Central Ave and Monroe Street.

The 8,000-square-foot venue will have a stage for live acts and a 250-person capacity. The menu will be prepared by Phoenix gourmet hot dog restaurant Short Leash Hot Dogs and the venue will have a game room for billiards, shuffleboard, Skee-Ball and darts.

Valley Bar will keep busy with weekly performances and events, much like the Crescent Ballroom does with Motown on Mondays and Flamenco Por La Vida on Saturday nights. These will include Thursday dance nights, Friday Latin dance nights and Saturday old-school soul nights.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 10:02 PM

COULD seems to be WILL

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-space-if.html

“We have been informed that the owners of the One E. Camelback building have other plans for the property and they have asked tenants to vacate,” said BMO Harris Bank spokeswoman Carey Allen. "We are currently looking for a suitable location in Phoenix’s central corridor for our corporate and administrative departments. Our branch and drive-thru will remain at this location.”

Well I think this is a certainty, not a possibility. You don't get tell your tenants to vacate and risk your future revenue if you are not serious about the conversion.

It also says that BMO wants to stay in the central corridor. This is good news all the way around!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 10:21 PM

I did post that a friend of mine is helping them find new office space, so yes, tenants are leaving, but I still doubt that this will happen any time soon if at all.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
... but I still doubt that this will happen any time soon if at all.
They would literally have to be the biggest idiots in the world not to follow through with this now. With vacancy rates at 27%, you don't go drive your current tenants away. This will force their hand to go through with the conversion, otherwise they'll be sitting on an empty building for years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
They would literally have to be the biggest idiots in the world not to follow through with this now. With vacancy rates at 27%, you don't go drive your current tenants away. This will force their hand to go through with the conversion, otherwise they'll be sitting on an empty building for years.
I don't argue this at all, and I actually wholly agree with you, but that doesn't change my mind. You're dealing with a commercial broker wanting to partner with an apartment developer, the number of things which could go awry in this situation is unbelievably high.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 7:10 PM

Good read on azcentral on infill development trend and how condo sales are outpacing those of single family homes

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...core/26385639/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 8:00 PM

There is an awful eBay building being constructed along 3rd St near Indian Steel Park. That might be one of the buildings someone mentioned seeing upthread. They requested - and I am fairly sure received - a horrible set of variances... basically allowing them to shorten the width of the sidewalks, reduce shading to 0%, reduce windows along the edge to 0%, etc. It's going to be a giant concrete box.

I always thought we'd eventually start seeing apartment conversions in Midtown and it sounded like one of the options McKay was pushing for the area in terms of redevelopment. Most cities have their densest urban residential clusters outside of their main CBD - with the restaurants and bars along Central, along with the 'vintage' residential towers, it'd be nice to see Midtown fit that role. As far as the drive-thru ATM, however, the article mentions BMO Harris continuing ground-level operations, so I don't think anything will be happening there.

Maybe this project will come to fruition on Pierson/Central?

"Omninet – NEC: A transit-oriented, compact, mixed-use development that
includes approximately 177 multifamily dwelling units and approximately 6,300
square feet of commercial and retail space located at the northeast corner of
Central Avenue and Pierson Street."

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
There is an awful eBay building being constructed along 3rd St near Indian Steel Park. That might be one of the buildings someone mentioned seeing upthread. They requested - and I am fairly sure received - a horrible set of variances... basically allowing them to shorten the width of the sidewalks, reduce shading to 0%, reduce windows along the edge to 0%, etc. It's going to be a giant concrete box.
From what you described, it might be a data center. Wouldn't be surprised...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
From what you described, it might be a data center. Wouldn't be surprised...
Definitely a data center. I've been watching it be built for over a year now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:16 AM

Is there any chance the article could be reporting wrong information? The parcels on the nw corner are all currently occupied (doesn't mean they soon won't be) but the parcels on the NE corner are all unoccupied and the truck dealership recently relocated. It appears there has been some assemblage on the NE corner.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 7:21 AM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Is there any chance the article could be reporting wrong information? The parcels on the nw corner are all currently occupied (doesn't mean they soon won't be) but the parcels on the NE corner are all unoccupied and the truck dealership recently relocated. It appears there has been some assemblage on the NE corner.
Isn't there a 7-11 there? I don't see any problem with that being torn down. I'm sure there's another Circle K around there somewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest