HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 2:58 PM

The battery is on the move. Parking garage going up fast.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Some times it seems like you all defend the same kind of things you have previously criticised.

I'd like to see less empty space and exterior finishes that pay more respect to the style of the neighborhood. Red brick and pre war industrial schemes should be required. But it's not my project so they can do whatever they want.
Have to agree. This development doesn't provide an ounce of "warehouse district" feel - might as well have been built in Surprise.

In the linked article KJ says he hopes this project will be a game changer - umm, in what way?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post
Have to agree. This development doesn't provide an ounce of "warehouse district" feel - might as well have been built in Surprise.

In the linked article KJ says he hopes this project will be a game changer - umm, in what way?

Couldn't agree more and said so on the last page. You'd think their drooling was for something special. This aint it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:09 PM

^ They're good looking, modern apartments with exposed brick incorporated into the design. They're also preserving the historic buildings and activating them as retail. Gould Evans did the interiors and there's even a rooftop pool.

What more do you guys want from an apartment complex in the Warehouse District?

It's a generally dilapidated area with hardly any residential, and this really nice project will spur more of it.

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Oct 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:18 PM

The warehouse district is stupid and Ill conceived.

I know a bunch of people are obsessed with saving old buildings because they are old but the warehouse district offers very little in terms of architectural value.

Do you expect them to make ultra expensive urban lofts in a fake old factory in a very unpopular part of downtown?

What really do you think will get built south of the tracks?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:34 PM

^ I don't think its stupid, but these guys clearly have delusional expectations for residential projects within the Warehouse District.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:44 PM

What’s the delusion for building apartments in the WD? It’s only going to put more eyes in the area after work hours, strengthen foot traffic, and attract more businesses (maybe even retail). Or am I missing something?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
^ They're good looking, modern apartments with red brick incorporated into the design. They're also preserving the historic buildings and activating them as retail. Gould Evans did the interiors and there's even a rooftop pool.

What more do you guys want from an apartment complex in the Warehouse District??

It's a generally dilapidated area with hardly any residential, and this really nice project will spur more of it.
Jesus dude, do you work for the developer? You're shilling for this project makes it seem like you have a personal investment in it. Are you the only sane one? Is everyone else who has an opinion delusional or crazy? Lighten the load dude, Xanax is cheap nowadays.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Jesus dude, do you work for the developer? You're shilling for this project makes it seem like you have a personal investment in it. Are you the only sane one? Is everyone else who has an opinion delusional or crazy? Lighten the load dude, Xanax is cheap nowadays.
Thanks for the advice, dipshit

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Conversely you could submit something else for us to talk about?
How about the psychological oddity of crane envy? Freud would have a field day with this group.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
What’s the delusion for building apartments in the WD? It’s only going to put more eyes in the area after work hours, strengthen foot traffic, and attract more businesses (maybe even retail). Or am I missing something?
In my opinion some people on here are expecting too much from the project. I think they're great for the area.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
In my opinion some people on here are expecting too much from the project. I think they're great for the area.
Bingo. Can't imagine anyone being against more housing when this is practically at the doorstep of the new Fry's. And wasn't that a complaint for this Fry's location; that it was too far south to be utilized by residents on the north-end of downtown?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:27 AM
Skyriser

The tone and insults expressed by some forumers on the previous page is not welcome here.

Please be civil.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
How about the psychological oddity of crane envy? Freud would have a field day with this group.
Well I dont know about you guys but my crane game is solid

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:15 AM

I don’t understand what people want from this project. Yeah, a floor or two taller would have been nice. They mentioned exposed brick. Idk if they meant on the interior or not. That is definitely something I wish more of these new apartments would do. Former Broadstone Roosevelt Row, now known as Roosevelt Row has exposed aesthetic brick on their first floor apartments, never seen them but heard they look pretty cool. I do wish more of these new apartments would have more urban design on their interiors exposed brick and exposed vents would be cool. But I’m sure it all comes down to cost of course. With our lack of fire escapes in Phoenix, Id love to see some in the design. I was in San Francisco a few months ago and I noticed a couple new buildings add fire escapes, I’m sure for the beauty of it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:53 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
With our lack of fire escapes in Phoenix, Id love to see some in the design. I was in San Francisco a few months ago and I noticed a couple new buildings add fire escapes, I’m sure for the beauty of it.
I can't say I've ever thought of fire escapes as beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I can't say I've ever thought of fire escapes as beautiful.
I think they have a lot of architectural value. I personally love the way they look and remind me that I am in a real city that’s been around for a long time.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:30 AM

Anyone have any idea on when Punch Bowl Social is opening? Was at First Friday and saw the coming soon sign. That place is really going to bring that whole area of bars together. Hopefully something comes to that old Milk Bar location, I used to like that place. Also, any word on whatever that development is called that they are doing behind The building with Traphouse Bar b que and Taco Chelo? It almost looks like another Church Hill. Anyone know what they will have there? Sooooooo much stuff happening.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
. I was in San Francisco a few months ago and I noticed a couple new buildings add fire escapes, I’m sure for the beauty of it.
This is typically a cost cutting move. Interior fire escapes have to meet all suppression and interior safety regulations. If they're outside they are just stairs. internal emergency-use staircases must be enclosed, battery-powered lighting, signage, nothing that could form a hindrance (which means nothing can be placed in the stairwell or it can no longer serve as an emergency egress), all things taking up the pennies that developers would prefer to pinch.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
This is typically a cost cutting move. Interior fire escapes have to meet all suppression and interior safety regulations. If they're outside they are just stairs. internal emergency-use staircases must be enclosed, battery-powered lighting, signage, nothing that could form a hindrance (which means nothing can be placed in the stairwell or it can no longer serve as an emergency egress), all things taking up the pennies that developers would prefer to pinch.
Wow, ok,lol. Yeah, I doubt we would see much of that here. But it was cool to see them bringing it back a bit to fit in with the neighborhood on the few new small developments I saw in San Fran.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest