HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
https://www.reclaimphiladelphia.org/...schools-funded

I know it is not the latest data but just as an example of where the money is going and what could be used to buy ductless HVAC units or window AC units.

In the other column, they can used some of that money and buy window AC units for the school. It's pathetic that this doesn't get addressed with the existing budget. You would think the administration and teacher/union would demand it after all these years and kids don't get early dismissal due to a heat wave or excessive heat and miss out being educated.
Not only is that information 3 years out of date it is talking about OPERATING budget. Improvements to facilities are paid for out of a capital budget- totally different. You can have a healthy Operating budget and have an inadequate capital budget- which is the case for the SDP when you consider the number of buildings they own and the age. That said, they have added AC to more schools in recent years and it should be noted almost every charter school has AC due to the age of their facilities.

Capital spending is often heavily dependent on what federal programs may or may not exist to fund various initiatives.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Oh ok. Just this past summer, 6ABC new reported early class dismissals during the heatwave for some schools that didn't have AC.

Here's a few more recent links that shed color to capital/operating budget. $2 billion in capital improvements but can't get AC in schools that don't have them. Shame on them.

https://www.philasd.org/schoolboard/...021-22-budget/

https://www.philasd.org/budget/budge...-budget-facts/

https://www.philasd.org/budget/wp-co...-101_Final.pdf

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:11 PM
Me?!?

The DSW in the Fashion District has permanently closed suddenly, reports are it is due to crime:

https://twitter.com/KeeleyFox29/stat...14760960761856

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
The DSW in the Fashion District has permanently closed suddenly, reports are it is due to crime:

https://twitter.com/KeeleyFox29/stat...14760960761856
That's not good....

I wish the Sixers owners timeline was sooner. That entire stretch is going to be a hulking abandoned eyesore.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:19 PM

Sharing steve keeley tweets as "news" now right

DSW is in the toilet and has said they were going to close dozens of stores over the next several years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:27 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

DSW is in the toilet and has said they were going to close dozens of stores over the next several years.
Not meant to be mean, but there has been a lot of rather arrogant reactions on here to the consistent news of store closings...

Starbucks closes stores: "who cares, I don't like Starbucks."

Wawa closes stores: "Who cares, I don't like Wawa."

Rite Aid closes stores: "Who cares, I don't like Rite Aid."

District Taco closes: "Who cares, I don't like District Taco."

H&M closes: "There's another one."

The latest... DSW closes: "They're in the toilet, doesn't matter."

Yea, it does matter... The fact that several prominent retailers have closed up shop for mostly the same reasons is not good. And putting DSW's financial status aside, it is a solid retailer that caters to a huge market, but is now closed and will likely sit vacant for years...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Not meant to be mean, but there has been a lot of rather arrogant reactions on here to the consistent news of store closings...

Yea, it does matter... The fact that several prominent retailers have closed up shop for mostly the same reasons is not good. And putting DSW's financial status aside, it is a solid retailer that caters to a huge market, but is now closed and will likely sit vacant for years...
Got it. Can we stop talking about this now?

Who knows why they really didn't renew their lease. Could be that the landlord propped up rents by 30% and DSW decided it wasn't worth it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Who knows why they really didn't renew their lease. Could be that the landlord propped up rents by 30% and DSW decided it wasn't worth it.
I actually agree with you on this one.

Stores close. They aren’t permanent. It’s hard to discern the reasons why unless you’re directly involved. Could it be theft? Sure. Could it be 10 other things? Sure.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Nov 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Wow. Not cool.
Yeah that was uncalled for and Summers probably should intervene here.

PHLtoNYC has always been a respectful and fair minded contributor. Like many of us, he seems to be very concerned about crime everywhere, but he has always been a supporter of Philly’s success. If you disagree with his pov, there’s a way to do it without being cruel and belligerent.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:34 PM

If you can't find a way to advance a conversation without resorting to ad hominem, please don't post on this board.

FWIW, I agree with 3rd and Brown. Another store I never went to closed. Big whoop. I can agree that there are problems in the city and also agree that it isn't the end of the world.

The Fashion District was going to fail regardless; the current economy and state of East Market as a whole only served to expedite that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
PHLtoNYC has always been a respectful and fair minded contributor. Like many of us, he seems to be very concerned about crime everywhere, but he has always been a supporter of Philly’s success. If you disagree with his pov, there’s a way to do it without being cruel and belligerent.
It's fine. PHLtoNYC and I generally agree on politics. And I will conceed, it was wrong of me to say he was trolling.

But I will shut up and just share some development news instead, like building a big apartment building in the flood plain lol:

Controversial 213-unit residential development on Venice Island is moving forward

Quote:
Historically Venice Island was home to industrial uses, but in 1999, then-Councilmember Michael Nutter rezoned the area for residential development.
I wonder if this could ever happen to Petty Island. I would love if the island in the Delaware was an actual destination.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
It's fine. PHLtoNYC and I generally agree on politics. And I will conceed, it was wrong of me to say he was trolling.

I'm not going to come off the position that this board is no place for a Steve Keeley or a Phillycrimeupdate or any other twitter account that's paid to bad mouth philadelphia with speculation.
I don't know much about Steve Keeley, but I can definitely tell you that part of the reason I deleted Reddit was the awful state of r/Philadelphia. Every city subreddit is now just crime updates and rants.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to come off the position that this board is no place for a Steve Keeley or a Phillycrimeupdate or any other twitter account that's paid to bad mouth philadelphia with speculation.
I get it. All three of us probably agree on politics generally lol. To be honest, my feathers get a little ruffled when this forum turns negative as well. But we gotta take breath and keep things in perspective. I understand the seriousness of the crime wave, but you’ll drive yourself crazy if you see every shooting or store closing as a pending disaster for the city. Again, while it’s no excuse to ignore the crime issue, I think social media tends to make us hyper aware of things we wouldn’t have known about 10 or 20 years ago unless you happened to catch the eleven o’clock news.

I think it’s important to be grounded in facts. If a store closes, we can only go off what they’re specifically telling us. If not, we’re just speculating. As of now, the known two stores that have said they are closing down due to theft and/or homelessness are Wawa and Starbucks. Although, I suspect there’s a bit more to the story with Starbucks…

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:00 PM

One of the better projects in recent memory.

We’re Banking on 13 New Units at 10th & Catharine

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:12 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
The budget is shown as $574M in the link you posted.
Thank you. I knew I read that wrong. I wonder if they have the same amount of school stock as philly since their population is around the same as ours. However. I assume their schools are brand new or maintained at a high level.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:15 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

I do want to point out that even though name brand retailers are good for the city & people who want them.

They arent the reason a city lives & breathes & rather it is the unique businesses, buildings & people that bring the clout.

The name brand stores are the cherry on top.

Otherwise Suburbs would be valued as more expensive then cities due to their vast supply of name brand strip malls & parking lots, instead if the land it sits on and what comes with that said land.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:23 PM
Me?!?

Quote:

It is what I had found that confirmed the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Agreed.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:54 PM

https://footwearnews.com/2022/busine...203261366/amp/

So unless Keeley has sources close to DSW or PREIT, I’m going to to take what he says with a big grain of salt.

According to a few recent articles I’ve found, like many retailers, DSW is struggling post pandemic. The CEO recently stated, “DSW suffered a 34% dip in sales and would be closing stores”. There are reports they’re consolidating their 25,000+ ft stores into smaller 10-15,000 ft ones. They also closed their locations in Queens, Chicago’s Loop and several others earlier this year.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:54 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Last edited by TonyTone; Nov 6, 2022 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Tony's Photos
Fantastic photos, except for the dirtbikers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development