HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Really? Looks boring to me architecturally anyway. I can't imagine its the nicest terminal in the world. Seems like it serves low cost carriers too. Carpet patterns are hideous there too.
I've been to Chiangi many times...it's definitely one of the best in the world, if not the best. They have carpet - agree if done well, it helps mute sound.

I think the miss for me in the new LGA is not bold enough architecture (think Beijing's new airport)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:42 AM

Did Delta pay entirely for the new Delta terminal?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:27 AM
BANNED

Just looks so ordinary for the grand entrance to NYC. Very average, not much uniqueness . I hope JFK looks more interesting.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 10, 2019 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
Did Delta pay entirely for the new Delta terminal?
Yes, they do. They have to pay a new terminal.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I've been to Chiangi many times...it's definitely one of the best in the world, if not the best. They have carpet - agree if done well, it helps mute sound.

I think the miss for me in the new LGA is not bold enough architecture (think Beijing's new airport)
that's the difference between china government building the beijing airport and delta paying for the lga terminal.

ny taxpayers will get shook down enough with the lga air train and roadwork.

it might not be the very best looks-wise or have changi amenities, but like the new istanbul airport, its more spacious, modernized and will get the job done.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:00 AM
BANNED

What a lazy design. Ny really going down hill in terms of transport design when you look at what Europe and Asia has built in recent times.

I thought a city with the global stature of NY would at least have a brand name designer, and not a cookie-cutter coporate conglomerate. Come on NY , you can do better than this terminal that has no character and could be something out of Houston or Miami. You can see from the interiors and dull exteriors that this is a budget first, design last kind of project.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
What a lazy design. Ny really going down hill in terms of transport design when you look at what Europe and Asia has built in recent times.

I thought a city with the global stature of NY would at least have a brand name designer, and not a cookie-cutter coporate conglomerate. Come on NY , you can do better than this terminal that has no character and could be something out of Houston or Miami. You can see from the interiors and dull exteriors that this is a budget first, design last kind of project.
LGA is almost entirely a domestic airport. The only international destinations served by the airport are Toronto and other Canadian cities on the East coast.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
LGA is almost entirely a domestic airport. The only international destinations served by the airport are Toronto and other Canadian cities on the East coast.
And the Caribbean.

But I don't get the relevance. Why would the relative merits of an airline terminal design be related to whether the flight is headed to Austin or Amsterdam?

I'm just glad the horrible terminals are finally being replaced with modern ones.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:43 PM

Having spent MUCH time in Terminal B over the years it doesn't have to look like Changi inside for it's replacement to gain my approval.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:11 PM

love all the commentary. i agree with both sides - the new terminal is CLEARLY better than the last and I'm happy about that. But it still pains me that the world's number one city couldn't be a little bolder here (delta money or taxpayer money).

It does feel like a trend- tappan zee, laguardia, penn st. Getting things done - but with banal architecture

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Just to remind everyone, this thread isn't a "best of" of airport terminals around the world. It's specifically for the rebuilding of LaGuardia, and discussion should remain specifically about this airport.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Just to remind everyone, this thread isn't a "best of" of airport terminals around the world. It's specifically for the rebuilding of LaGuardia, and discussion should remain specifically about this airport.
Yes, can they stay on topics? Follow the rules. We are talking about new concourse, and a few other things, as well.

Folks, can you please stay on topics? Follow the forums rules.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
love all the commentary. i agree with both sides - the new terminal is CLEARLY better than the last and I'm happy about that. But it still pains me that the world's number one city couldn't be a little bolder here (delta money or taxpayer money).

It does feel like a trend- tappan zee, laguardia, penn st. Getting things done - but with banal architecture
NYC, deserves better than this average building. I agree, the new infrastructure stuff NY has come up with has been mediocre and obviously very budget orientated. Laguardia is just another example of NY cutting corners and not caring about what is going up in Europe or Asia, where the best airport designs are being built.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, can they stay on topics? Follow the rules. We are talking about new concourse, and a few other things, as well.

Folks, can you please stay on topics? Follow the forums rules.
You're not the mod, stop telling people what to do and I've been talking about this new airport if you didn't notice. Again, the focus is on the airport, but we need context to judge design. So we look at what is considered good airport design, and that's happening overseas right now, not in 'murica.

Let's stop living like horses that have blinkers on. The airport is fine, but nothing amazing. We need to hold NY to a higher standard. Great empires that rest on their laurels always decline. Empires always fall, but that can be delayed with good planning.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Again, some people here grew up with airport design books on our coffee tables and have a fascination with airports. If you don't care about design in airports that's fine, but stop trying to stifle people's opinions.
I don't think he wants to stifle your opinion, nor do I think he cares about what books you grew up with. He simply wants you to discuss THIS airport, and its redevelopment, and is not concerned with your opinion of other airports around the world.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think he wants to stifle your opinion, nor do I think he cares about what books you grew up with. He simply wants you to discuss THIS airport, and its redevelopment, and is not concerned with your opinion of other airports around the world.
we were discussing this airport all the time. The other examples of airports were just to make a point about THIS airport.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:18 AM
BANNED

again, focus was always squarely on the airport called LaGuardia. Nobody derailed the topic, the focus was on LaGuardia and the examples were used as a simple tool to help get a good judge of the design.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

I've been trying to find answers, but Im having trouble finding any- but does the Laguardia redevelopment have a podium in place for a future hotel? I saw in old renderings that it did, but current renderings show it without. Is the hotel tabled for the future, or has it been cancelled outright? I think onsite hotels are a major plus for airports (I loathe offsite hotels situated near hotels, they always seem dated and rundown and inconvenient to get to).

Also, I saw renderings way back about a ferry terminal at the Marine air terminal, has that also been cancelled? Theres so much potential on the western end of Laguardia for the future!

I've been in love with this development of Laguardia! I love that the plan from the beginning has come into fruition- no more piecemeal development over years and years!

I'd love to wake up this thread and discuss!!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From today's press conference. Brief mention of LaGuardia.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:39 PM

New LaGuardia Terminal B Arrivals and Departures Set to Open This Weekend

Eastern Concourse at LGA

Source: Business Insider

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development