HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Meh, only 222 guest rooms. A drop in the bucket
Pretty much my feeling. The inferno of downtown hotel development makes this inconsequential.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I also personally don't see the appeal of putting a hotel on the pier. The pier is an attraction, one of the places one goes on their stay. Put the hotels inland, let the pier draw them out, but then they have the city around them to explore. Let them cloister on the pier, and will the tourists even venture out?
It's not about luring individual tourists. It's about increasing the appeal of the convention facilities on the Pier for small conventions. Much easier to lure convention planners when you can promise them a block of 200 hotel rooms right on site.

Also, if you're talking views, the views from the pier hotel will be phenomenal...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also, if you're talking views, the views from the pier hotel will be phenomenal...
Especially from the roof top. I always thought that was squandered by the way the pier is currently configured.

Add open booze containers and that blues museum to the mix and we might have a winner...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:23 PM

^^^ Okay, makes more sense to have the hotel rooms tied to convention space, where it makes sense to co-locate. Rather than just randomly dropping a Hilton on the pier.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:51 AM

Shakespeare Theater got its renovation permits yesterday

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
It's not about luring individual tourists. It's about increasing the appeal of the convention facilities on the Pier for small conventions. Much easier to lure convention planners when you can promise them a block of 200 hotel rooms right on site.

It's about making Navy Pier a true year round facility too.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^^ Okay, makes more sense to have the hotel rooms tied to convention space, where it makes sense to co-locate. Rather than just randomly dropping a Hilton on the pier.
Yeah the convention space at Navy Pier was always sorta McPier's forgotten stepchild, isolated in the middle of a tourist trap, like Rosemont Convention Center but much more inconvenient for all intents and purposes.

It works well for Expo, where the artists and dealers want to be right downtown, but not much else.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:04 PM

More renderings of the hotel and a new proposal for a reflecting / play pool at the end of the pier were announced last night.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ring-over-lake

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:53 PM

I'm really not one that cares for balconies, but in this instance I think it might look good instead of those huge flat walls of glass. Might also reinforce some nautical vocabulary into the design.

Edit. I looked closer at the renderings and I now see there is balconies. Meh. Still not quite there

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
More renderings of the hotel and a new proposal for a reflecting / play pool at the end of the pier were announced last night.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ring-over-lake
This doesn't look like a good idea. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 9:52 PM

Navy Pier is going to look like a Container ship by the time they are done with it. Add a few cranes and it will look just like Long Beach California, armpit of southern California

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Navy Pier is going to look like a Container ship by the time they are done with it. Add a few cranes and it will look just like Long Beach California, armpit of southern California
I'm fine with that. It WAS a cargo terminal, after all. The hotel's boxy silhouette reminds me of something uber-modern from port cities like Rotterdam or Barcelona.

Unfortunately the cladding on the hotel has gotten more banal with every revision. Why not add some color or some variation to break up the monotony? I expected way more from Jackie Koo, but now it just looks like we're getting some crap that SCB or DeStefano threw together.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 12:10 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
This doesn't look like a good idea. . .

. . .
I'm not a fan either. It will clutter eastward views of the lake for those walking on the pier

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan either. It will clutter eastward views of the lake for those walking on the pier
But think of all the great wedding photos.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 12:41 PM
The City

I'm looking again at renderings of the "Lake overlook" concept, and it's an absolutely horrible idea. If they are trying to raise funds to complete the Navy Pier redo, please save some money and don't waste it on this.

The view of the Lake from the eastern end of the pier is fine just the way it is. Adding some silly elevated walkway and another boring reflecting pool will do nothing. It will actually clutter and take away from the vista and thus the overall experience.

This is an ill-advised idea, and emblematic of a world where there are too many administrators sitting there having countless meetings under the perpetual delusion that changing something inevitably improves it. Sorry, bud, but this one's a dud.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:24 PM
BANNED

They really need to force the hotel to spend TONS of money on design and materials, or to fuck off. This isnt some normal city block.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with that. It WAS a cargo terminal, after all. The hotel's boxy silhouette reminds me of something uber-modern from port cities like Rotterdam or Barcelona.

Unfortunately the cladding on the hotel has gotten more banal with every revision. Why not add some color or some variation to break up the monotony? I expected way more from Jackie Koo, but now it just looks like we're getting some crap that SCB or DeStefano threw together.
I couldn't agree more about the boxy sihouette. I had the same thoughts about the sundry European port cities. Hamburg Germany also, and BA in Argentina. That said, they definitely need to work on the cladding.

As for the lake overlook - that idea needs to be dropped. Now. Awful

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:44 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
The view of the Lake from the eastern end of the pier is fine just the way it is.
I'm not really getting your gripe, only eastern view that will be affected are those east of the Grand Ballroom. How many people visiting Navy Pier actually utilizes that space? No one walking the pier will have eastern views affected by this. And if you're that far east on the pier you might as well go up on the damn walkway because there is no reason to go that far east now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:13 PM

The lake overlook seems inspired by the BIG (Bjarke Ingles) plan. His plan had a bit more grace to the execution.

http://www.designboom.com/architectu...pier-proposal/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
They really need to force the hotel to spend TONS of money on design and materials, or to fuck off. This isnt some normal city block.

Are you a child?

All that would mean is extremely high room rates, and then you'd be complaining about that.

Economics 101. Take it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development