HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:04 AM

I’m surprised there’s no Houston-Lagos flight (oil).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Air New Zealand going to do AKL-ORD 3-5 times a week starting in November.

Quantas possibly/probably to announce directs to Brisbane.

It's legit.

These flights are really reaching out there with these new jets. Flying that long is a health risk for getting a DVT's and PE's. So I get the idea of getting some exercise or at least getting up an moving during a ultra long flight.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/travel.html

Those at a higher risk.

Most people who develop travel-associated blood clots have one or more other risks for blood clots, such as:

•Older age (risk increases after age 40)
•Obesity (body mass index [BMI] greater than 30kg/m2)
•Recent surgery or injury (within 3 months)
•Use of estrogen-containing contraceptives (for example, birth control pills, rings,patches)
•Hormone replacement therapy (medical treatment in which hormones are given to reduce the effects of menopause)
•Pregnancy and the postpartum period (up to 6 weeks after childbirth)
•Previous blood clot or a family history of blood clots
•Active cancer or recent cancer treatment
•Limited mobility (for example, a leg cast)
•Catheter placed in a large vein
•Varicose veins

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

About half of people with DVT have no symptoms at all. The following are the most common symptoms of DVT that occur in the affected part of the body (usually the leg or arm):
1.Swelling of your leg or arm
2.Pain or tenderness that you can’t explain
3.Skin that is warm to the touch
4.Redness of the skin

If you have any of these symptoms, contact your doctor as soon as possible.

Pulmonary Embolism (PE)

You can have a PE without any symptoms of a DVT. Symptoms of a PE can include:
1.Difficulty breathing
2.Faster than normal or irregular heartbeat
3.Chest pain or discomfort, which usually worsens with a deep breath or coughing
4.Anxiety
5.Coughing up blood
6.Lightheadedness, or fainting

If you have any of these symptoms, seek medical help immediately.

Protect Yourself and Reduce Your Risk of Blood Clots During Travel

•Know what to look for. Be alert to the signs and symptoms of blood clots.
•Talk with your doctor if you think you may be at risk for blood clots. If you have had a previous blood clot, or if a family member has a history of blood clots or an inherited clotting disorder, talk with your doctor to learn more about your individual risks.
•Move your legs frequently when on long trips and exercise your calf muscles to improve the flow of blood. If you’ve been sitting for a long time, take a break to stretch your legs. Extend your legs straight out and flex your ankles (pulling your toes toward you). Some airlines suggest pulling each knee up toward the chest and holding it there with your hands on your lower leg for 15 seconds, and repeat up to 10 times. These types of activities help to improve the flow of blood in your legs.
•If you are at risk, talk with your doctor to learn more about how to prevent blood clots. For example, some people may benefit by wearing graduated compression stockings.
•If you are on blood thinners, also known as anticoagulants, be sure to follow your doctor’s recommendations on medication use.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...long-haul-push

Qantas Eyes Chicago for New Ultra-Long-Haul Flight From Australia

By
Christopher Jasper

‎March‎ ‎27‎, ‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎00‎ ‎PM

Australian airline mulls Midwest city for route from Brisbane

Qantas Airways Ltd. is evaluating direct flights from Australia to Chicago as the next step in its plan to add more ultra-long-haul destinations using an expanding fleet of Boeing Co. 787 jetliners.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...27-p4z6l2.html

Cargo class: Qantas CEO reveals 'out there' options for super long haul flights

By Latika Bourke & Patrick Hatch
28 March 2018 — 8:35am

The Qantas CEO has revealed to a private audience of Australian and British professionals in London that the airline is exploring an entirely new class which would be situated in the cargo hold.

The giant space could involve train-like berths and allow a space for cooped-up passengers to stretch and walk around in an exercise area.

One of the concepts that we have is maybe if we're not carrying freight you do something lower where cargo is on the aircraft, do you have an area where people can walk? Do you have berths like on a train?

Last edited by bnk; Mar 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:52 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Here is the list of the top 10 international cities for North America showing international pax only in 2017. Chicago is below their weight class. That will change as they get more long range wide body aircraft and airport improvements online

1. JFK 32.4 million
2. YYZ 29.6 million
3. LAX 24.8 million
4. MIA 21.5 million
5. CUN 15.79 million
6. MEX 15.75 million
7. PTY 15.6 million
8. SFO 13.4 million
9. EWR 12.9 million
10. ORD 12.46 million
I like to think myself a realist. Given that we aren't coastal gateway cities or part of attractive tourist-rich megalopolis/states/regions such as California/Florida/Northeast I think Chicago actually does reasonably well in pulling in overseas travelers. I would love numbers to be higher but I have to think if I was an overseas visitor Chicago would be listed on my 3rd or 4th U.S. trip to hit up from a tourist POV.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Mar 28, 2018 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Those 787-9's are making the amazing possible.
Yes, the combination of range and seats/payload seems pretty optimal for long and ultra long haul to/from ORD. Larger aircraft like the 777-300ER are overkill for a lot of routes here.

It's looking like Boeing will have a MOM aircraft ready around 2025 which should dovetail pretty nicely with ORD's build program wrapping up. Should enable cost effective directs to many other markets, year round hopefully.

Last edited by k1052; Mar 28, 2018 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Although, it would seem very possible Houston could regain an Africa route soon (maybe even before ORD gets AKL in November), given demand from the greater oil industry. But are there really no South American cities with Asia flights (or at least among cities that also have Europe flights)?
The longest flight in the world currently is London to Perth which is pushing the 787-9 to it's very limits at about 9,000 miles. The only major-ish South American city within that range is Bogota at 8,900 miles to Tokyo. Everything else - Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio, Santiago, etc. are all well over 10,000 miles which is not feasible with any aircraft today. Sao Paulo is probably has the best business-case for direct flights, but at 11,500 miles it ain't going to happen for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

O'Hare expansion approved by city council. There will be some sort of signing ceremony at O'Hare at 4:15pm local.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Nope, LAX is missing Africa. JFK and YYZ are missing Oceania.
Right, they do not have direct flight from LAX to Africa. Way too long! They don't have enough range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
O'Hare expansion approved by city council. There will be some sort of signing ceremony at O'Hare at 4:15pm local.
Awesome! Congrats! They will start construction very soon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Think Rahm has gone out there to sign the new lease agreements with the airlines. Good PR pump as several companies likely approach decisions on where a lot of corporate jobs will land.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:05 PM

All,

Here's the press release:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...hare-expansion

Congrats! I was hoping Rahm Emanuel will seek third terms.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 10:01 PM

Hate to ask if this has already been brought up, but is there an architect who is doing the planning / design of the work yet?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 10:50 PM
BANNED

https://www.eturbonews.com/181445/qa...eat-to-chicago

Qatar Airways brings Qsuite Business Class seat to Chicago

By Chief Assignment Editor -
March 28, 2018

Qatar Airways is pleased to announce that it will introduce its revolutionary Business Class seat, Qsuite, on flights from Chicago starting 1 April, allowing even more travellers to experience the new standard of luxury, comfort, and customisation in international travel set by the airline, and strengthening its commitment to its gateway markets in the United States.

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “Qsuite has already established itself as an unrivalled product, setting a new standard in Business Class travel in the aviation industry, and receiving global acclaim from industry leaders, international media, and — most importantly — our valued Business Class travellers. By building on the successful launch of Qsuite in both New York and Washington, D.C., we are now tremendously excited to bring this luxurious, one-of-a-kind product to the Windy City, enabling travellers departing from Chicago to experience this revolutionary product for themselves.”

Qsuite features the industry’s first-ever double bed available in Business Class and customisable private cabins for up to four people, perfect for friends, families and business colleagues traveling together. With adjustable panels and movable TV monitors on the centre four seats, Qsuite provides the ultimate personalised travel experience that enables passengers to create an environment that suits their own unique needs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/qatar...18-3?r=UK&IR=T

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:54 AM
The City

Watch the OHare expansion plan have a huge--I mean huge--spillover effect. Jobs, companies, more direct connections to more cities.

This is big, and no tax dollars. Unlike the Amazon scam.

I'm so glad Rahm got this under way. Now let's hope he can lock down the OHare express service to downtown as well...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
The longest flight in the world currently is London to Perth which is pushing the 787-9 to it's very limits at about 9,000 miles. The only major-ish South American city within that range is Bogota at 8,900 miles to Tokyo. Everything else - Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio, Santiago, etc. are all well over 10,000 miles which is not feasible with any aircraft today. Sao Paulo is probably has the best business-case for direct flights, but at 11,500 miles it ain't going to happen for awhile.
I think you're only looking at Pacific routings? Or maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with what city pairs are actually served as of 2018, but Rio and the Gulf (take your pick of hubs) are only like 7000mi apart, with India being a further stretch to just 8000 or 8500mi. I don't know if there are enough folks there who are interested in Carnaval to warrant nonstop service, or if there are enough muslims in Brazil who want to Hajj, but you'd think at least one of the Gulf's big 3 carriers would be doing this.

What originally prompted my thinking was the Antarctic route between Santiago and Sydney and how it shouldn't be too huge of a stretch to Singapore, but upon closer inspection that does end up around 10k miles.

Actually another problem with Antarctic routes would be ETOPS - currently Santiago and Sydney are linked by 747; upon fleet replacement with twin-engine aircraft I'm not sure that route can be continued, and certainly any hypothetical routes from the southern cone to Singapore would great circle way too far from civilization.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:45 PM

Looks like the city supplied the press with some renderings:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:37 PM

Thanks for posting the renderings. Simple question, why doesn't the Global Terminal have dual jetways for widebody planes? You would think the city would learn from the mistakes at T-5. Maybe it is just an oversite on the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
Thanks for posting the renderings. Simple question, why doesn't the Global Terminal have dual jetways for widebody planes? You would think the city would learn from the mistakes at T-5. Maybe it is just an oversite on the renderings.
It'd be great if someone could drop in the labels of which airlines will be where on those new awesome images.

So will AA regionals be way far out in the furthest terminal and their mainline be in their usual place? Seems like an awfully far trek but maybe I don't understand the new layout...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy123 View Post
It'd be great if someone could drop in the labels of which airlines will be where on those new awesome images.

So will AA regionals be way far out in the furthest terminal and their mainline be in their usual place? Seems like an awfully far trek but maybe I don't understand the new layout...
Normally the bigger planes go to the satellite terminals, where there is more space. And passengers for long haul flights are also more often arriving early (and checking bags), so they have time to get on the airport transit.

Heathrow T5 is a good example. Flights to Europe are usually from the A gates, anywhere else is usually from a B or C gate.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy123 View Post

In the last pic looking from left to right it's UA in the two satellite terminals/original T1 in grey, the new T2 global terminal that will be shared UA/AA, and AA in all of T3 which now includes the 5 (eventually 7) gate L stinger concourse.

Other domestic/international carriers plus Delta/Skyteam get exiled to T5.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:11 PM
The City

T2 will be a highly coveted terminal, especially after UA and AA lose their gate monopoly.

I'm guessing that other airlines that run international flights and want to connect through OHare will want to be there, especially with the convenience of having everything all at one place. Wouldn't that be correct?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
T2 will be a highly coveted terminal, especially after UA and AA lose their gate monopoly.

I'm guessing that other airlines that run international flights and want to connect through OHare will want to be there, especially with the convenience of having everything all at one place. Wouldn't that be correct?
I think the only way that UA/AA can lose gates in a new T2 (or anywhere in the airport) is if they don't meet whatever usage requirements are in the new lease. City doesn't want them sitting on a bunch of gates at low utilization just to keep competitors out. Presuming their Oneworld/Star Alliance partners use T2 as well I don't think that should be too difficult.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation