27. Case: P17-025 Preliminary and Final Major Site Plan
Applicant: The Fourteen Florence Street Corp
Review Planner: Matt Ward
Attorney: Charles Harrington
Address: 560 & 580 Marin Blvd and 130-150 12th Street
Block: 8901 Lot: 1 and 2
Block: 7201 Lot: 1
Zone: Newport Redevelopment Plan
Description: Proposed construction of two mixed-use high-rise towers (57 and 59 stories) with a total
of 750 dwelling units, 240,000 square feet of non-residential uses, 1,098 off-street
parking spaces, road widening of Marin Boulevard and other right-of-way improvements.

This is located right next to the Home Depot, north of the Holland Tunnel Toll Plaza.

This is site number 195 on the downtown development map. http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset...ments-7.6..pdf

580 Marin Blvd - 57 stories - 367 units
560 Marin Blvd - 59 stories - 383 units

Last edited by chris08876; Jun 18, 2022 at 11:29 PM. Reason: title update with heights

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:22 PM

The site was just commissioned for Jersey City's largest mural to date. Oh well.

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-m...l-biggest-yet/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The site was just commissioned for Jersey City's largest mural to date. Oh well.

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-m...l-biggest-yet/
They created a very interesting mural in the last days of Pep Boys back of that property, so until these bad boys are ready will make for another creative fill in.

I'm so-oo-ooo--oo excited about these towers... maybe 650 and 700 ft if they really want to be daring!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 11:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Great news. Continuing the JC trend of 2 tower developments. 2 for 1 package.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 11:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
This is located right next to the Home Depot, north of the Holland Tunnel Toll Plaza.
Was just there the other day (home depot) picking up rivets. Will aid the dramatic view heading into the Holland.

And 750 units or so... big development for any city really. People might be surprised when looking at the units coming online or in the pipeline for JC. Rivals most really big cities in the U.S..

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:42 PM

I always laugh at suburbanites that look at a 60 floor building and claim oversupply. Yet a new subdivision or two may occur on the fringes of a suburban town and no one things anything of it.

These structures are about 300 units each. Jersey City is easily absorbing 300+ apartment units monthly due to a rising population. This one 60 story tower represents a one month supply. An average subdivision may be a couple hundred homes. Yet no issues when those are being built. It's only an oversupply if it's contained in a tall, single building.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:33 PM

LOL

Approved Tuesday night with little fanfare. I would have thought this would have been controversial.

Last edited by C.; Aug 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder what the height is?

Maybe both towers will top 700 ft mark.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:28 PM

Has anyone seen any renders for this? Really curious what it will look like.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

New Details, Rendering Released for Two Tower Project Near Holland Tunnel

Quote:
A rendering has been released for the now-approved, two-tower mega-project just outside the Holland Tunnel in downtown Jersey City.

The project, which will bring 750 residential units, along with ‘240,000 square feet of nonresidential uses’ and 1,098 parking spaces to the site was approved, ‘with conditions’, by Jersey City’s Planning Board during their August 15th meeting.

The rendering shows the outbound lanes of the Holland Tunnel along 12th Street, with the 57 and 59-story glass-sheathed high-rises towering overhead.

This site is directly east of Home Depot and will replace the brick industrial building which is currently used by the Mecca and Sons Trucking Company. The building’s western wall is now home to New Jersey largest mural, painted by Distort, and facilitated by Green Villain and the Jersey City Mural Arts Program.

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association raises concerns regarding the project’s lack of green space and mass transit access options. The association is requesting the Planning Board conduct a traffic study to better understand how the project will impact traffic in the area.

No variances or deviations were requested or required for approval. Nor have any abatements been decided at this stage.
======================
https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-d...ering-details/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
I always laugh at suburbanites that look at a 60 floor building and claim oversupply. Yet a new subdivision or two may occur on the fringes of a suburban town and no one things anything of it.

These structures are about 300 units each. Jersey City is easily absorbing 300+ apartment units monthly due to a rising population. This one 60 story tower represents a one month supply. An average subdivision may be a couple hundred homes. Yet no issues when those are being built. It's only an oversupply if it's contained in a tall, single building.
Jersey City will soon surpass its peak population at this rate

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:57 PM

That's a nice location for those towers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:09 PM
Ω

Damn those look tall. Tall one looks at least 700'.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:22 PM

So this one was apparently controversial at the planning board meeting. It was a very narrow vote for approval, 5/4 or something. I wish I could have been there to hear the arguments for and against.

That area of town sucks, seen by most as nothing more than wasteland a car must traverse when entering NYC. These towers will help reclaim some of the lands as Jersey City and should help bring additional investment to the area. I don't know how a PATH connection would work, but anything north of the Holland Tunnel is going to need major pedestrian and transit improvements and these towers could be the catalyst.

Density is much more important to me than height. There is nothing wrong with tall buildings, but I would love to see more encouragement of midrise buildings to create a more urban setting. SOmething like this:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
So this one was apparently controversial at the planning board meeting. It was a very narrow vote for approval, 5/4 or something. I wish I could have been there to hear the arguments for and against.

That area of town sucks, seen by most as nothing more than wasteland a car must traverse when entering NYC. These towers will help reclaim some of the lands as Jersey City and should help bring additional investment to the area. I don't know how a PATH connection would work, but anything north of the Holland Tunnel is going to need major pedestrian and transit improvements and these towers could be the catalyst.

Density is much more important to me than height. There is nothing wrong with tall buildings, but I would love to see more encouragement of midrise buildings to create a more urban setting. SOmething like this:
I was just about to say something about this. Who would want to live at the base of the Holland tunnel like that, on the NJ side? where that immediate area around the tunnel is very unwalkable. I'm sure the building will be very nice and the views will surely be stunning though. JC has come a really long way from when I was growing up, but at the same time they still have a lot of work to do. Their skyline is looking amazing lately, but they particularly need to work on the street level density in a lot of areas. There are other walkable areas in JC, so I know they can do it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:12 PM

^^^ People whose only experience of JC is driving or taking a bus through the Holland Tunnel get the wrong idea about it. The area around the tunnel is a sad disaster caused by mid-20th-century urban renewal, but most of the city doesn't look like that or like Newport, which was built over rail yards in the 80s and not really planned so well.

I'd say JC has a lot of work to do to make the city denser and more walkable, but so does a lot of Brooklyn. You wouldn't judge Brooklyn by the area under the BQE/Hamilton Ave near the Gowanus, or Queens by the Queens-Midtown Tunnel Approach and Newtown Creek area, so JC shouldn't be judged by this area. There are many very walkable, beautiful neighborhoods in the city.

The good news is that the level of planning has gotten better in JC since Newport was built. Especially by relaxing zoning laws that basically forced builders to build sterile, unwalkable modernist developments. So with all the development these days every area of the city is getting more walkable and active and vibrant.

Anyway, I remain skeptical that this project will happen any time soon given what a wasteland this area is, so far from transit. Many areas of the city with better transit and much nicer, more walkable neighborhoods have approved towers that are better candidates for construction financing ahead of this project. Not to mention this project has a sizeable retail component, and retail is struggling to fill up these days. The 1,000-space parking garage alone would cost about $40 million to build, which means they'd have to command extremely high rents given the marginal location. It'll happen someday, but I can't see it in the next 5 years.

A PATH connection makes zero sense, and I wish them luck on getting a light rail station nearby. They've been trying to get one at 18th and Jersey Ave for almost 20 years.

I wouldn't complain if someone wants to put money in to finance this project and get it built though

Last edited by Hamilton; Sep 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:29 AM

That going to make a bad traffic situation worse.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 11:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Per SSP user "C", these are getting ready to break ground soon.

Reference: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=1207

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 12:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Case: P21-054
For: Extension of Preliminary and Final Major Site Plan

Address: 560 and 580 Marin Blvd
Review Planner: Matt Ward, PP, AICP
Applicant: The Fourteen Florence Street Corp.
Attorney: Charles Harrington, Esq.
Blocks/Lots: 8901/1 and 2; and, 7201/1
Zone: Newport Redevelopment Plan
Description: Approved under case P17-025, the applicant is requesting extension of the approval for a period of 3 years. The approved project consists of two towers with a total of 750 residential units, 240,000 square feet of commercial, and 1,071 parking spaces.

Themes
Housing & Properties
Keywords
Digital Plans, General Development Application, 2021
Language
English
Modified
August 20, 2021 9:09 AM

Publisher
Planning Board

======================
1. https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/explor...d/information/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 1:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i dk if thats good news so they can start building or bad because they are no where close to breaking ground?

anyway, regarding the site — its right across the street from home depot, so if the builders need anything immediately like a screw driver, a ladder or some nails they can run over and get it easily. that should speed up the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals