HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:37 PM

I am guessing the General Hospital parkade announced today will come in at close to $40K per parking space despite it being outdoor and just a basic concrete structure. Land not included.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am guessing the General Hospital parkade announced today will come in at close to $40K per parking space despite it being outdoor and just a basic concrete structure. Land not included.
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...spital-parkade

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:45 PM

Tender up today to replace the 2 south Albert bridges over the Ring Road and do 3km of paving. Provincial contract not city as it's part of highway 6 / 1A.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
Tender up today to replace the 2 south Albert bridges over the Ring Road and do 3km of paving. Provincial contract not city as it's part of highway 6 / 1A.
This will be nice.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 10:27 PM

Womp womp, I just got an email that AE Wilson dog park tender was cancelled. I think it was supposed to have started construction by now but I hadn't seen any work.

Looked up tender and reason stated is that it will be rolled into a larger project at a future date.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
This will be nice.
You are joking right. I assume another 2-year project with corresponding traffic nightmares.

I note that they are replacing all the concrete overpasses with steel beam spans. I assume these will last longer? Also it sounds like they are raising the bridges like the did for 6/11 North.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
From the release:

Quote:
The completed structure would be owned, maintained and operated by a third party.
What is the point of this? Taxpayers gain nothing from this gift to private interests. This is nothing but an accounting trick to make it seem like its better for us, but we clearly will end up paying more since the third party will demand a profit and borrows money at a higher rate than the province can.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
From the release:

What is the point of this? Taxpayers gain nothing from this gift to private interests. This is nothing but an accounting trick to make it seem like its better for us, but we clearly will end up paying more since the third party will demand a profit and borrows money at a higher rate than the province can.
The only way this benefits is if there a transfer of risk to the proponent. Most of the risk is in construction, but it does not say the private entity is doing that.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
From the release:

Yeah, I thought that was a bad deal as well. I'm not against profit, but hospital parking shouldn't be a profitable venture. It should be a break even one and what private company wants that. I hope there is a lot of scrutiny on this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Yeah, I thought that was a bad deal as well. I'm not against profit, but hospital parking shouldn't be a profitable venture. It should be a break even one and what private company wants that. I hope there is a lot of scrutiny on this.
I too am not against profit, but typically only in competitive industries where it makes sense. Parking structures are not that. Neither are highways, healthcare, public education, water treatment, etc but I digress.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Commercial construction costs in Regina have been among the highest in N. America for may years.
uhhhhh say what? What is the source of this intel?

Construction costs in Regina historically and currently are anywhere from half to 1/3 what they are in British Columbia, Seattle, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Toronto. They are less than Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton.

Highest in North America? I'd hardly think so, unless I've missed something with the Cost Consultants and Lenders...

What I will say is it appears to be a lot of engineers love to over-engineer the living crap out of simple structures and not utilize more traditional building methods or materials used quite literally in every North American City...

Not looking to be argumentative or stir the pot but a statement that claims Regina's Commercial Construction Costs are some of the highest in North America leaves me slightly incredulous.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post

Construction costs in Regina historically and currently are anywhere from half to 1/3 what they are in British Columbia, Seattle, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Toronto. They are less than Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton.

Highest in North America? I'd hardly think so, unless I've missed something with the Cost Consultants and Lenders...

What I will say is it appears to be a lot of engineers love to over-engineer the living crap out of simple structures and not utilize more traditional building methods or materials used quite literally in every North American City...

Not looking to be argumentative or stir the pot but a statement that claims Regina's Commercial Construction Costs are some of the highest in North America leaves me slightly incredulous.
The interchanges on Regina's bypass would prove your theory correct.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post

I don't have stats but I have been told this by developers. I was thinking in particular about large buildings including skyscrapers. A big part of this is the need for expensive foundations due to the soil conditions.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:46 PM
BANNED

You would think materials would be much higher here as well due to lack of supply and competition for it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:05 PM

The new school where Imperial is now will free up three other school sites for infill:

https://leaderpost.com/news/design-p...inas-northwest

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The new school where Imperial is now will free up three other school sites for infill:

All places where public housing, which is much needed, could go.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:

With the Haultain Crossing site fully built out after 7 years I wonder if Habitat will do another big development project like that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:50 AM

Quote:
All places where public housing, which is much needed, could go.
I don't think St. Peter School will be used for infill. It is currently largely used by O'Neill High School which is literally a stone's throw away. O'Neill's enrollment is on the upward trend so they will likely need more of the space at St. Peter going forward.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 1:40 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Do joint-use schools actually work? I'm not sure how common they are everywhere else, but it feels like Regina is going all in on them for future school constructions.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Do joint-use schools actually work? I'm not sure how common they are everywhere else, but it feels like Regina is going all in on them for future school constructions.
How much government funding does the Catholic system get in Saskatchewan compared to Public schools. I would absolutely find it concerning if catholic schools were getting extra funding through merging on a public school project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan