HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 6:33 PM

Nice. But I would have expected it to be a little further along by this point, no?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nice. But I would have expected it to be a little further along by this point, no?
It’s a massive site the pics don’t do it justice.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post

Well you can say one thing about 5468bunchanumbers is that they give no shits, absolutley zero, in regards to the relation their buildings have with surrounding context and the spaces they create.

I studied under Sasa at the UofM. Context takes a backseat to artistic statement unfortunately. That's why we ended up with a stage in OMS that can't actually function as a stage. It was meant to be beautiful, not functional.

Case in point, Pumphouse "Plaza". Could there be a more bleak entrance to a restaurant and hair shop? Throw down some black granite and a few paving pads and call it a day.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Well you can say one thing about 5468bunchanumbers is that they give no shits, absolutley zero, in regards to the relation their buildings have with surrounding context and the spaces they create.

I studied under Sasa at the UofM. Context takes a backseat to artistic statement unfortunately. That's why we ended up with a stage in OMS that can't actually function as a stage. It was meant to be beautiful, not functional.

Case in point, Pumphouse "Plaza". Could there be a more bleak entrance to a restaurant and hair shop? Throw down some black granite and a few paving pads and call it a day.
OZ Condos in the Village are another example. Look great in architectural photos but the experience at the level of the street along River Ave is just a wall of corrugated metal. Completely deadens the street.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
OZ Condos in the Village are another example. Look great in architectural photos but the experience at the level of the street along River Ave is just a wall of corrugated metal. Completely deadens the street.
I guess they could always undertake some renoes and carve out windows etc.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:12 PM

I think this is a great project. Very pleased the Westerly portion of the building is set back from our property (Parent 5, Botanical and Nonsuch) to allow light to filter into our huge easterly Botanical windows for the first time in 50 years.

When the Alexander Docks and RNDSQR / Duncan project starts to move forward we will once again dust off the 7 story build out on Pacific perhaps. Will see if I have any energy left in my bones by then.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I think this is a great project. Very pleased the Westerly portion of the building is set back from our property (Parent 5, Botanical and Nonsuch) to allow light to filter into our huge easterly Botanical windows for the first time in 50 years.

When the Alexander Docks and RNDSQR / Duncan project starts to move forward we will once again dust off the 7 story build out on Pacific perhaps. Will see if I have any energy left in my bones by then.
7 story build on Pacific??? Please tell us more. Any renderings?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:

What else are bones for but to rattle?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 11:31 PM

I like the building and massing but do have some misgivings as to the exterior wall system being installed.

Not convinced it will stand the test of time for the insulation, the strapping, the synthetic soft wall membrane nor the metal decorative panels. (They might be designed to transfer heat towards or away from the structure as opposed to strictly being an aesthetic statement). There are countless fasteners required to penetrate the membrane. Does each location need to be caulked? How will these penetration points be monitored or maintained over time.

Perhaps the portion installed is still being worked out and tested.

Considering the building is a rental and will be held, it does surprise me a more robust exterior system was not proposed and installed. Would not want to be the one pioneering a new exterior wall system.

Credit goes to the developer and architect for “stretching” a new weather sensitive design solution.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I like the building and massing but do have some misgivings as to the exterior wall system being installed.

Not convinced it will stand the test of time for the insulation, the strapping, the synthetic soft wall membrane nor the metal decorative panels. (They might be designed to transfer heat towards or away from the structure as opposed to strictly being an aesthetic statement). There are countless fasteners required to penetrate the membrane. Does each location need to be caulked? How will these penetration points be monitored or maintained over time.

Perhaps the portion installed is still being worked out and tested.

Considering the building is a rental and will be held, it does surprise me a more robust exterior system was not proposed and installed. Would not want to be the one pioneering a new exterior wall system.

Credit goes to the developer and architect for “stretching” a new weather sensitive design solution.
Can you tell us more about your plans for Pacific?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 12:40 AM

I'm curious to see the siding in real life. I love all the texture, but that's a whole lot of one-tone grey on a large building.

I'm liking the irregular roof peaks and think they will give some nice lines to this block.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Can you tell us more about your plans for Pacific?
Sorry I meant to say Edwin. (George/Duncan/Galt)

Not our Pacific / Alexander buildings.

Although, I think I was looking at a massing study for Pacific in light of the proposal on Great West Metal in 2019.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 2:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Sorry I meant to say Edwin. (George/Duncan/Galt)

Not our Pacific / Alexander buildings.

Although, I think I was looking at a massing study for Pacific in light of the proposal on Great West Metal in 2019.
the parking lot?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:39 PM

Took a bike ride by this development last night. Really fills in the street.

Can't seem to get the image to load with tags. Here is a link https://imgur.com/b0I18Ek

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:03 PM

^That really does fill in the street. Also curious re: the final look of the cladding. If the Eatons warehouse ever gets redeveloped into something mixed use that could be my fav street in the city. Especially if there were to be a redeveloped Alexander Docks at its end.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
^That really does fill in the street. Also curious re: the final look of the cladding. If the Eatons warehouse ever gets redeveloped into something mixed use that could be my fav street in the city. Especially if there were to be a redeveloped Alexander Docks at its end.
That warehouse has the potential to have a huge impact given its size and location relative to other developments. It could really tie that part of the East Exchange together. I'd love to know if any legit developers have kicked the tires on it yet. Who owns it?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That warehouse has the potential to have a huge impact given its size and location relative to other developments. It could really tie that part of the East Exchange together. I'd love to know if any legit developers have kicked the tires on it yet. Who owns it?
It’s owned by Scott Bathgate ( Nutty Club) and is a full, vibrant manufacturer employing many many people. It’s not going any where for the foreseeable future. As attractive as it may be for residential, I find it irresistible as a viable old school manufacturing facility. It’s has not been for sale in over 50 years.

This is a huge plus for the area.

Something must be done to reinvent the Alexander Docks and some movement on the Duncan Waterfront site. It’s going on 4 years now with no firm plans on the site. Yes I know RNDSQR / CV want to see more progress on the Pacific project before moving forward but there were other proposals to consider at the time.

I really hope they are successful but their original pro forma must be in tatters by now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that duncan lot theres a group quietly upto something i over herd last month when i was in town as in theyre putting money together so see w happens. was in a group conversation at a back ally art sound event when it came up asked some questions but seemed very early in planning

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 12:14 PM

Is the plan for Alexander Docks still that sterile landscaping architecture exercise?

It should be a dock. With buildings along Waterfront and something like Berlin's Holzmarkt in between.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:38 PM
There is always a way

^agreed.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan