HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:21 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "more restrictive laws". We already have speed limits on virtually every road in the entire country and it's already illegal to exceed them. Limiting the top speed of vehicles would just be an enforcement mechanism for existing laws. Unless you're arguing that we should eliminate speed limit laws altogether? I fail to see the point of having the freedom to do something that you never have the freedom to do because it's always illegal unless you're blatantly advocating for criminal behaviour. Maybe by "dull & boring" you just mean "not criminals".
I am making a point, there are many things to be considered. Have you heard of Germany? Have you heard of the Autobahn? In an ideal world we wouldn't need laws, we would only need clear understandings.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Are there any roads in Canada that have a speed limit higher than that? I get the need to briefly exceed the speed limit when passing, but that's mainly an issue on two lane roads which tend to have lower speed limits than multi-lane highways anyway.

I always thought it was weird how they speed govern things like ebikes and escooters as a criteria for them being legal yet cars which have a far greater potential for danger often have no restrictions at all.
Part of the Island Highway, Parksville to Campbell River was 120 but was lowered to 110 because fatal crashes jumped with such a high limit. Other highways in BC that also had limits of 120 were lowered so I think 110 is now the fastest in the province.

For myself, I tend to find myself driving slow so I try to use the cruise control to at least feel like I am keeping up and stick to the slow lane.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:36 AM

I saw a Tesla parked yesterday in a parking lot and there was a dog inside and the screen inside the car was very bright. it looked like this one. First time I've seen this.

techtimes.com

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I am making a point, there are many things to be considered. Have you heard of Germany? Have you heard of the Autobahn? In an ideal world we wouldn't need laws, we would only need clear understandings.
Have you heard about the skills of Canadian drivers?

It seriously frightens me to think of our drivers on autobahn style freeways.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I don't think that config really exists anymore but the 3 starts at $59.9k and the M3 starts at $89.5k.

Performance Tesla 3 (as loaded up as you can get) is $82k.

BMW M3 goes well into 6 figures with upgrades. Then everything else that comes with operating a BMW.
Ah. Still, there are options. The LR was going for 70k before Tesla pulled it off their site, so combined with the launch mode option it gets up to 72k. The m340i has nearly identical pricing and performance numbers, but if I was spending that much I’d just pay a little bit extra and jump into legit performance sedans with either the Cadillac CT4V blackwing (80k) or the base BMW M3 (or even the M3P).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I paid 75K all in for the car and boost. Thats including taxes. Prices have went up yes. It's now 89K for the same thing.

The automatic BMW M3 is the same speed yes however the price including tax is $111,700. So to get the same speed one would have to spend an additional 22K. Trust me...I did my research. To get this speed in any car you are spending at least 15-20K more. Then there's the premium gas/oil changes on top of it. So not only does the car cost more, you're stuck with an extra $400 per month filling the damn thing. And insurance is more as well. Im paying the same for my Tesla in insurance as I did with my Honda Civic.

Plus I raced the M3 literally this past summer and I won everytime. Gasoline can't compete with electric under 120KM/H , by the time the gas hits the lines Im already 50m ahead.
When the LR was still available to order this year it would cost $84.3k including taxes and delivery. That’s about a 13% price increase from when you bought it and about a 30% increase since 2018.

We talk a lot about inflation but not much about how it’s affected car prices. The Toyota Corolla has increase its starting MSRP 50% since 2012, while the Honda Civic has gone up 92%. The expected downward trend in BEV car pricing hasn’t really materialized either since the launch of the Model 3. The Chevy Bolt remains the cheapest BEV available, whereas everything newly available is more expensive than the Model 3’s launch price. I’m guessing automakers have found that the premium or near premium compact cross over segment represents some sort of sweet spot in profit margin and desirability, but I wonder if that’ll continue now that money is no longer cheap.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
So then we don't disagree. If your argument is that there shouldn't be laws limiting speed and my argument is that cars shouldn't be able to exceed the highest speed limit, then cars wouldn't have any speed governors after your proposed change took effect.

There's nothing wrong with arguing for existing speed laws to be loosened or eliminated if you can make a compelling, evidence-based case for it. But arguing that cars should be able to break the highest existing speed laws while the laws are still in place doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
We talk a lot about inflation but not much about how it’s affected car prices. The Toyota Corolla has increase its starting MSRP 50% since 2012, while the Honda Civic has gone up 92%. The expected downward trend in BEV car pricing hasn’t really materialized either since the launch of the Model 3. The Chevy Bolt remains the cheapest BEV available, whereas everything newly available is more expensive than the Model 3’s launch price. I’m guessing automakers have found that the premium or near premium compact cross over segment represents some sort of sweet spot in profit margin and desirability, but I wonder if that’ll continue now that money is no longer cheap.
Tesla has continued to jack up the price as demand is out of control. Their profit margins attest to this.

We have seen them lower prices too, so that's always possible, and I'm sure they will if and when demand falters.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:46 PM

Every time Musk opens his mouth he makes Tesla less appealing:

Kremlin welcomes Elon Musk proposal for Ukraine settlement denounced by Kyiv

MOSCOW, Oct 4 (Reuters) - The Kremlin praised Tesla boss Elon Musk on Tuesday for suggesting a possible peace deal to end the war in Ukraine, after Kyiv rebuked Musk for proposing terms it views as rewarding Russia.

"It is very positive that somebody like Elon Musk is looking for a peaceful way out of this situation," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters in a conference call.

"Compared to many professional diplomats, Musk is still searching for ways to achieve peace. And achieving peace without fulfilling Russia's conditions is absolutely impossible," he added....

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...iv-2022-10-04/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
North America’s electric vehicle demand is scaling up and battery makers are following suit.
@BloombergNEF
is tracking more than 813 GWh across 55 manufacturing plants in North America. The US Inflation Reduction Act will likely lead to more announcements.

https://twitter.com/EvelinaStoikou/s...JEs4PuWeA&s=19

Canada is lagging. And Ontario especially.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:20 PM

^Kinda scary how much battery production is in states where the main source of electricity is coal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post

Tesla has some plans for Canada that should be announced in the next 2 months.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^Kinda scary how much battery production is in states where the main source of electricity is coal.
I mistook your view for whole US. Which states are you concerned about? Most of them are transitioning pretty quickly away from coal.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electr...roduction.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:14 PM

Kentucky is 70% coal generated electricity according to that link you provided, and with 116gwh of confirmed production, will soon be the largest battery producing state in the union.

Regarding nationwide coal use, it has indeed been steadily declining over the last decade in the US, but it's mostly been replaced by natural gas which is is still not carbon neutral.

Comparatively Canada's electric grid, particularly outside of the prairie provinces, is exceedingly clean.

In Ontario, if you own an EV and charge it mostly at night, you will basically be using entirely renewable energy to charge the vehicle.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:44 PM

There's two separate issues here. One is embedded emissions in the manufacturing and another is emissions from the energy produced. On embedded emissions, it moves the breakeven maybe a year or two at worst. Not the worst thing. On high coal power for driving, this is still better than regular gasoline consumption. And as the percentage of coal goes down, emissions drop quickly. Considering that cars are appliances with a 12 yr life and how quickly the American grid is decarbonizing, I'm not sure this is a huge concern. Just look at Nebraska. Even at 49% coal, all electric beats everything else. At about 60% coal, you'll get all electric on par with conventional hybrids. See North Dakota at 57%. Less coal is preferred. But it doesn't take much in coal power reduction for EV driving to be the best choice. For driving. Public transport is still better.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Yes, there are a lot of drivers who regularly exceed the speed limit by 5, 10, 20 km/h or more. However, that's not what the aforementioned top-speed limiter would address. If cars were limited to a maximum speed of 150 km/h on public roads - with no restrictions on other performance factors such as acceleration - how exactly would that limit our "freedom"? There's nowhere in Canada (as best I can tell) where you can legally drive more than 120 km/h so a 150 km/h restriction would still give you 25% room above that limit.
I have to agree. There's really no place for high speeds on our public roadways nowadays. With the mass that vehicles have grown to, the momentum that a vehicle travelling at 200 km/h carries is crazy. It can do a lot of damage, and not just to the occupants of the speeding vehicle.

It's often said that it isn't speed that kills, but difference in speeds. Highways in Canada will always have speed limits on them, that the majority of vehicles will be moving at (well, 10 or 20 above, mostly), so it makes sense to try to keep all vehicles moving around that speed range.

On top of that, at high speeds like that, things happen so much more quickly. I highly doubt that most people who like to drive at 160+ km/h have the skills to handle things properly when something goes wrong - and sometimes there is no human who can react quickly enough, or no vehicle that can do what would be required to prevent a collision. If you watch any form of organized motor racing, you have purpose-built vehicles driven by highly skilled and experienced drivers in a controlled environment, and they still crash regularly.

Imagine Joe Average motoring along on a testosterone-fueled tear, and some dude half a km up the road does a lane change in front of him, not expecting somebody to be coming up on him that fast, or pulls out of a side road, etc. It does happen regularly as it is, and the results are never good.

As far as "freedom" goes, the only freedom this type of speed gives you is the freedom to have your car impounded and to pay a large fine. In NS, anyhow, we have the "stunting" charge, which gives the officers power to impound your vehicle (with an approx $2500 fine) if you are clocked at 50 km/h over the posted speed limit. There is also a judgement call that allows them to do the same if you are participating in any kind of 'dangerous' activity, like squealing your tires, racing (their perception), etc. The local news media likes to cover such events as well.

Also, my information may be old, but I believe there was once a requirement where new vehicles' speed had to be limited to the tire speed rating that the vehicles were equipped with from the OEM. Not sure if that went away or not, but it was a thing.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:17 PM
recession proof

I like Honda's new GM-based SUV:
https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/prologue

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
These conversations have a tendency of going into one extreme or the other, so I'll put it another way. Reducing car dependency doesn't mean you can't have a personal vehicle or drive a car to an appointment or on vacation. All of those things are possible in communities that are more oriented to other modes of getting around. You can live old suburbs like Riverdale or Leaside and own a car. But those communities are built in a way that makes driving just one option for getting around. The way that newer suburbs are built practically removes all other options and makes driving the only practical choice. That makes all the difference.
That's a reasonable take, and mostly how I view it as well. Neighbourhoods need to be built in a more mindful fashion, with more options available.

That's not how I interpreted your original post, but that may be a product of my state of mind of late. My apologies if that's the case. Happy to be done with the 'debate'...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post

Snow Lake Manitoba lithium mine in manitoba will be producing for 5 million evs batteries over the next decade why are we not on this map?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 5:15 PM
Cap the Cut!

I saw my first Lucid in person yesterday. It's a beautiful car but I questioned the colour being that it's in southern California and dark colours don't do well here. I checked out their website thinking that maybe only limted colours are available...but what I found on the website really shocked me. The model called Air Saphire has 1200hp and sub 2 second 0 - 60mph acceleration! I can't imagine that sort of acceleration mixing well with the public in the hands of many. I foresee much carnage followed by (eventually) legal restrictions on how quickly a car can accelerate if registred for public highway use.

20221008_152743_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada