HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Attendance will likely be pretty weak this season with how mediocre the team is and the current issues with downtown safety after summer of hell at the forks
wow, idiotic thought of the day goes to ..... THURMAS

a few incidents at Forks and Jets game attendance are zero related pal. if media didn't report on them then we would all think Forks is extremely safe. BTW it is, there's 1000's people there daily.

friends house & car and their neighbours neat St B hospital were all broken into last week, if media reported on that, people would stop going to hospital based on your logic. wait times solved!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 6:36 PM

^Honestly Thurmas might be right because the majority of Jets fans live in the suburbs and most of them think the Downtown is the boogeyman never to be visited after 6pm lol.

However, with in-person classes resuming at U of W as well as the new RRC campus expansion should help a lot with pedestrian activity from September onwards. Pair that with all the U of M students that usually transfer on the blue line in Downtown and we might actually see a vibrant DT during the day again.

Hopefully that will dispel the notion by the time the season starts that Downtown is a no go zone. Then the attendance woes can be solely blamed on the Jets mediocrity…

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:36 PM

I don't think downtown will keep the fans away. I think a toxic mix of high ticket prices and boring games by a mediocre team will do that. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think downtown will keep the fans away. I think a toxic mix of high ticket prices and boring games by a mediocre team will do that. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but...
bingo on all fronts

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
After all the spring hype. Jets got nothing done. I am greatly disappointed, but not surprised. "iron's were in the fire". But nobody bit. Maybe they had something lined up. whos knows. Either way, me sad.
Well, they did get Sara Orlesky. And she has skates.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Given all of the players leaving town with hardly anyone coming in to replace them, I kind of wonder if that's the track that the Jets are headed down. Could be a prospect-heavy team this season. But if the Jets are going to tank, then they should tank... the last thing I want to see is them suffering through a 28th place finish or whatever and not having a great shot at the top pick in the lottery.
If the Jets win the draft lottery next year everything changes. Nobody wanted to play in Edmonton (an equally undesirable city), until McDavid came to town.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
If the Jets win the draft lottery next year everything changes. Nobody wanted to play in Edmonton (an equally undesirable city), until McDavid came to town.
If I win the lottery this Wednesday then everything changes for me too. But I wouldn't count on either of those things happening.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:40 PM

Esquire is already kickstarting the Ice thread so we should probably give some love to the Jets. Last year, high expectations, bad results. This year, low expectations, good results?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Esquire is already kickstarting the Ice thread so we should probably give some love to the Jets. Last year, high expectations, bad results. This year, low expectations, good results?
There's rumours that PLD might stay in WPG if he gets thrt C. That's from the PLD camp.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:17 PM

PLD can have everything in my books. The whole team. 1C, "C". Everything.

I have low expectations for this season. Probably another bubble team. I will be surprised if they're anything more, or less, than that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:29 PM

Going to be lots of drama in the Jets locker room between Wheeler being disrespected by the new coach and the Scheifele v PLD for the new captain roll, etc.

Also who is the true top line v who is the second line.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Also who is the true top line v who is the second line.

not a bad thing when u don't know who is the top line is! imho our top 6 F are GREAT!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:01 PM

Scheifle would be a terrible captain. He's never shown any interest in speaking to the media and he has the personality of a wet noodle. I'm glad they finally dethroned Wheeler, he was never suited to it. I would be okay with Dubois, and glad to hear he may be staying. I think Morrissey would be a good choice.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:39 AM

Young players doing a lot better this preseason hopefully they push out some of the dead weight veterans and take some roster spots this year

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:46 PM

At least we don't have Maurice bringing in the washed up 35 year olds at the minute. And Bowness is demanding accountability from the Schiefele crowd for the minute long shifts.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
At least we don't have Maurice bringing in the washed up 35 year olds at the minute. And Bowness is demanding accountability from the Schiefele crowd for the minute long shifts.
The last couple of games the younger players looked pretty good. If course you can't really judge too much by just three pre-season games, but there didn't seem to be a lot of apprehension or confusion. Even the back-up goalies looked decent. Maybe Bowness has a good system for this team?

We'll probably get a better idea of what we have after the first 10 games or so of the regular season. Until then, I think it will be interesting to watch this team develop.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 8:08 PM

Chevy brought in Sam Gagner as his aging vet this year. Not too shabby.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 7:30 PM

Yeah, that was his BIG free agent signing.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 6:54 PM

I think it's safe to say that Bowness wasn't the first coaching choice of most fans, and many were hoping for some kind of big name free agent signing on defence. That being said, Bowness might still be the new voice the Jets have been needing. As for the defence, if some of their draft picks from the last couple of years start to develop as hoped, Chevy may wind up looking like a genius. He'll have a strong coach, a good offence and an exciting young defence that didn't break the bank the way a free-agent signing might have. I have to admit, the young guys they've played in pre-season don't look hopelessly out of place, and on offence Cole Perfetti was looking pretty good paired with Dubois.

Not saying their ready for a Cup run, but the very early pre-season hasn't been discouraging.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 4:42 PM

Thing with Heinola and Samberg is they need to get NHL playing time. We'll see what injuries bring them.

Jets are a fairly young team. Wheeler 36, Gagner 33 being the old guys.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan