HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Population Sweepstakes: Which is likely to occur first?
Ontario hits 16 million 23 30.67%
Quebec hits 9 million 7 9.33%
BC hits 5.5 million 20 26.67%
Okotoks hits 12 million 25 33.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I got lost in Milton once. I think it was '95 or '98.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:56 PM

Milton in 98' would have been a little town haha. It's "Miltonization" has occurred solidly post-Y2K. In the 90's Mississauga was still the King of Sprawl.

BC will probably hit 5.5 mill first. Anyone wanna bet when Alberta hits 5 million? Or where Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa will rank in 2030 (i.e. which one is largest, second largest, etc.)?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Or where Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa will rank in 2030 (i.e. which one is largest, second largest, etc.)?

That is opening up Pandora's box. It never ends well.

But anyways, my guess is this:

1) Ottawa
2) Calgary
3) Edmonton

I doubt there is any realistic scenario that puts Edmonton in fourth place (behind the "Big Three")
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Milton in 98' would have been a little town haha. It's "Miltonization" has occurred solidly post-Y2K. In the 90's Mississauga was still the King of Sprawl.
The "joke" was layered based on specific versions of windows and how everything in Milton was identical.
I was semi-serious, though... I literally could not navigate by landmarks due the uniformity of suburbia there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:21 PM
arf

BC, then Ontario, then Quebec, Okotoks as O-tacular stated is going to get wiped off the map before NASA works out the kinks.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 2:59 AM
recession proof

Langford is the Barrie of Western Canada. Airdrie has a surprising number of four storey condo/apartment buildings under construction. It could be Waterdown/Hwy 5/Dundas corridor. Okotoks reminded me of Kleinburg - a small quaint village overrun with ugly beige homes, mcmansions and big box hell.

Having finally been to Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa within weeks of each other, I can confidently predict Ottawa will become the clear population winner over the next 50 years. It could possibly surpass Vancouver within the next century.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
BC will hit 5.5 before the others because it's almost already there.
I agree with this, it's obvious.

Quote:
The "joke" was layered based on specific versions of windows and how everything in Milton was identical.
I was semi-serious, though... I literally could not navigate by landmarks due the uniformity of suburbia there.
Suburbs are designed to confuse, mind-numb, oppress, and subjugate individualism. Resistance is futile.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 1:58 PM
Mooderator

I'm all in for Ontario.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I got lost in Milton once. I think it was '95 or '98.
Hey, I got lost in Glace Bay, twice!!!

I was spending three months in Sydney doing an obstretrics/neonatology rotation in internship, and used to spend off time exploring the area. I went to Glace Bay twice, and got seriously lost both times. There seemed to be only one road into and out of town, and the street grid was confusing. I kept going in circles and couldn't find my way out.

I never went back again.

I betcha Milton is nowhere near as dreary, depressing or desolate as Glace Bay is in February.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hey, I got lost in Glace Bay, twice!!!

I was spending three months in Sydney doing an obstretrics/neonatology rotation in internship, and used to spend off time exploring the area. I went to Glace Bay twice, and got seriously lost both times. There seemed to be only one road into and out of town, and the street grid was confusing. I kept going in circles and couldn't find my way out.

I never went back again.

I betcha Milton is nowhere near as dreary, depressing or desolate as Glace Bay is in February.
Glace Bay is worse than this?

^crushingly soul-sucking

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Imagine a company coal mining town on a cliff overlooking the cold north Atlantic, with the housing stock consisting almost exclusively of company duplexes (to house the miners). Now, imagine that pretty much the only new business in town is (was) a Canadian Tire. Nothing else new has been built since the 1930s........

And, despite the fact the mines have been closed for 50 years, the town still considers itself a coal mining town. No alternative industries have set up shop. At least Sydney (also depressed, but not so bleak) is only 20 km down the road. This is where most people actually work.

Rural West Virginia has nothing on Glace Bay. At least WV has the mountains. Glace Bay only has bleak and stark oceanic vistas. It's always windy and cold there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 7:49 PM

Toronto...Montreal....Vancouver....Calgary....Ottawa....Edmonton...Winnipeg....KWC...Hamilton...Quebec

Toronto...Calgary...Vancouver....Montreal...Ottawa...Edmonton...KWC/Guelph...Hamilton....Winnipeg....Oshawa

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Toronto...Montreal....Vancouver....Calgary....Ottawa....Edmonton...Winnipeg....KWC...Hamilton...Quebec

Toronto...Calgary...Vancouver....Montreal...Ottawa...Edmonton...KWC/Guelph...Hamilton....Winnipeg....Oshawa
What makes you so bullish on Montreal? (jk). what is going to happen from 2050-2080 that is going to catapult Vancouver and Calgary ahead?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:27 PM
A Better Place

Quote:

You think the Calgary CMA will be larger than the Montreal CMA at some point in the future? I highly doubt it. I don't even think the Calgary CMA will catch Vancouver - there is too much of a lead already and I can't see Calgary growing fast forever.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:28 PM

Alberta will eclipse BC and Quebec in the long run.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Imagine a company coal mining town on a cliff overlooking the cold north Atlantic, with the housing stock consisting almost exclusively of company duplexes (to house the miners). Now, imagine that pretty much the only new business in town is (was) a Canadian Tire. Nothing else new has been built since the 1930s........

And, despite the fact the mines have been closed for 50 years, the town still considers itself a coal mining town. No alternative industries have set up shop. At least Sydney (also depressed, but not so bleak) is only 20 km down the road. This is where most people actually work.

Rural West Virginia has nothing on Glace Bay. At least WV has the mountains. Glace Bay only has bleak and stark oceanic vistas. It's always windy and cold there.
Glace Bay has a pretty interesting miners' museum.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:18 PM
recession proof

Is Glace Bay worse than Espanola or Dryden? It reminds me of Ashcroft without the tourists. Selkirk is dreadfull, although North Battleford is much worse. I also found White River and Qu'appelle depressing, the latter very redneckish.

Milton has a beautiful downtown and up the escarpment the semi rural routes are nice. It's the post 1990 developments that are ugly. I recall as a kid Milton was where we'd stop at McDonald's on the way to Toronto c.early '80s. One of my neighbor's old BIC church, originally in the Markham area (it used to be a pioneer Mennonite farming town) is part of the Country Heritage Park.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal CMA: 4,291,732 (2021)
Calgary CMA: 1,481,806 (2021)

Even if Montreal stopped growing (which will not happen), there is still a huge gap between the two metropolitan areas...a gap of nearly 3 million people (which is double the current population of Calgary). Montreal is nearly three times larger.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What makes you so bullish on Montreal? (jk). what is going to happen from 2050-2080 that is going to catapult Vancouver and Calgary ahead?
All those cities will grow but Calgary {and Alberta in general} have some unique advantages.

Calgary has endless amounts of land to expand to unlike Vancouver and yet has a far more pleasant climate than Montreal. It's high wages combined with low taxes and affordable housing make it a natural draw for young people. It is increasingly seeing ever larger amounts of immigration due to astronomical housing costs in Vancouver and the French language requirements of Montreal and Quebec's general xenophobia. It also has a demographic advantage by having the youngest and most well educated {along with Ottawa} population in the country giving it one of the highest birth rates as opposed to BC which has the lowest west of the Maritimes.

Calgary is a numbing 10X larger than it was in 1950 and although that rate will obviously not sustain itself, Calgary has always been "tomorrow's country" offering opportunities and a very high quality of life with excellent infrastructure and a vibrant downtown. As oil declines in importance and as Alberta diversifies away from it into other areas like high-tech and hydrogen development, it's future is secure without the wild boom/bust cycle of the oil patch.

I think by 2060/70 Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver will begin to merge in population but Calgary will pull ahead of both Vancouver and Montreal by 2080.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada