HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I’m being picky here biff and I don’t mean to be crass
But To be fair to esquire I think he meant fully free flowing of which Deerfoot and Stoney trail really are the only ones

That's still two more, in a city that is not a whole lot bigger than Winnipeg. Deerfoot goes right through the heart of calgary. And the other roads mentioned by BIff do have sections are that freeways.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:46 PM

Personally I like ring roads to serve as freeways. Once you cut through the heart of the city the consequences become irreversible.

Although, fun fact if we do want to pursue an east-west freeway corridor Fermor and McGillivary line up nearly perfectly on the grid via Oakenwald Ave. Although the consequence of course would be the destruction of the Wildwood neighborhood.

Last edited by thebasketballgeek; Sep 23, 2022 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Adding fun fact

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
That's still two more, in a city that is not a whole lot bigger than Winnipeg. Deerfoot goes right through the heart of calgary. And the other roads mentioned by BIff do have sections are that freeways.
Calgary is twice the size of Winnipeg. Double our population.

Also it doesn't run through the heart of the city. It exists at what was once the eastern edge of the city.

Macleod Trail runs from the South end through the heart of the city to downtown. It is no different than our Main Street. 3-4 lanes each way, regular traffic lights.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Calgary is twice the size of Winnipeg. Double our population.
Not quite but in anycase its not like you're talking about a huge city here. They started building deerfoot in the 70s. Regina and Saskatoon are less than half the size of Winnipeg and have sections of freeways . So does Halifax Nova Scotia.

Quote:
Also it doesn't run through the heart of the city. It exists at what was once the eastern edge of the city.
Pretty close to.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Trail_2019.png

Quote:
Macleod Trail runs from the South end through the heart of the city to downtown. It is no different than our Main Street. 3-4 lanes each way, regular traffic lights.
Ok

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Although, fun fact if we do want to pursue an east-west freeway corridor Fermor and McGillivary line up nearly perfectly on the grid via Oakenwald Ave. Although the consequence of course would be the destruction of the Wildwood neighborhood.
When I was a kid growing up in Norwood close to St Vital my dad talked about a freeway they wanted to build connecting Maginot to Grant (Lagimodiere to Pembina). Draw a line that would have killed a few neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:43 PM

The Bishop Grandin Blvd extension is fully open. It is 1 lane in each direction... "Are you f***ing kidding me?" Was the first thing I said when driving it for the first time. Not impressed, but not surprised.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:02 PM

I was also a little surprised since it took 2 seasons to complete. In the end, it only services as an access road for Sage Creek at the moment, so not much more needed at this time. It does look designed to be expanded as needed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 2:36 PM

The BG extension is purely an access point to Sage Creek. If BG ever gets extended to Fermor, it will be a 4 lane divided road similar to the rest.

As I mentioned before, the current intersection is on the detour for interchange construction. That's why it swings south when approaching Lag. So would hope an interchange gets built at that time.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
The Bishop Grandin Blvd extension is fully open. It is 1 lane in each direction... "Are you f***ing kidding me?" Was the first thing I said when driving it for the first time. Not impressed, but not surprised.
It was supposed to be four lanes but over half the length of the current road way. The developer went to the city about the Bishop east extension and requested they be allowed to instead fund double the length but only two lanes as it was obviously more beneficial to them. Since it is open now it is pretty obvious what got approved...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:39 PM

I was looking at Google Earth and they have new imagery for Winnipeg from Aug. Shows the extension prior to asphalt paving. Very good resolution. It actually covers a large area outside the City as well.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It was supposed to be four lanes but over half the length of the current road way. The developer went to the city about the Bishop east extension and requested they be allowed to instead fund double the length but only two lanes as it was obviously more beneficial to them. Since it is open now it is pretty obvious what got approved...
It is just frustrating. I know that eventually it will be four-lanes but why not just do it now? The future work will now require construction phasing and traffic control.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:48 PM

Developer built it and paid for it. I believe then there is some sort of City pay back to the developer, but I'm not 100% up to speed on what the particular agreements are.

In other words, the City didn't have to pay up front for it, so this is what it is.

It's like this in every development unless there is an advanced effort to do something different. Such as the Waverley West Arterial roads projects. Which IIRC was funded by the taxpayer, and maybe partially by the developers.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 9:18 PM

People are getting too hung up on the "Bishop Grandin extension" angle. It's just a local street feeding into Sage Creek, 2 lanes will be sufficient. One day it will be replaced by the actual Bishop Grandin Boulevard through route by the City.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
People are getting too hung up on the "Bishop Grandin extension" angle. It's just a local street feeding into Sage Creek, 2 lanes will be sufficient. One day it will be replaced by the actual Bishop Grandin Boulevard through route by the City.
True, I suppose when the time comes to extend Bishop to Fermor the intersection with Lagimodiere will require a grade separation anyways so the current "shifted" alignment wouldn't remain anyways.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I’m still waiting for them to finish the existing Bishop Grandin, crap shoulders, 4 lanes when it should be 6, messy looking gravel/garbage median…

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
True, I suppose when the time comes to extend Bishop to Fermor the intersection with Lagimodiere will require a grade separation anyways so the current "shifted" alignment wouldn't remain anyways.
Lol just like the grade separations they put in at Waverley and Bishop Grandin, or Scurfield and Kenaston when those two got connected, or like Lag and Henderson when Chief Peguis got extended.

In all seriousness, I think Biff mentioned earlier in this tread that when BG does get extended to Fermor, the current roadway that just got installed will need to be replaced to a level that can withstand expressway level traffic (incl. trucks) and not just accessing a sfh subdivision levels.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:30 PM

Quote:
It is just frustrating. I know that eventually it will be four-lanes but why not just do it now? The future work will now require construction phasing and traffic control.
If they over built it now and it went under utilized for 5, 10, maybe 15 years then you would have infrastructure in need of being refurbished due to environmental factors that was never fully utilized and would need to be completely redone when the extension work begins anyway.

When the development north of Sage Creek gets underway, the developer can pay to add another lane and light standard at the intersection with Des Hivernant.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I’m still waiting for them to finish the existing Bishop Grandin, crap shoulders, 4 lanes when it should be 6, messy looking gravel/garbage median…
Now that you mention it, the median and shoulders between Waverley and the Fort Garry Bridge have looked like absolute crap since they built the BRT and AT overpasses a few years ago. It's just gravel, dirt and weeds growing out of control. Is it really asking too much to have this stretch sodded so it isn't such a totally embarrassing mess?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it, the median and shoulders between Waverley and the Fort Garry Bridge have looked like absolute crap since they built the BRT and AT overpasses a few years ago. It's just gravel, dirt and weeds growing out of control. Is it really asking too much to have this stretch sodded so it isn't such a totally embarrassing mess?
I just read in I believe a global news article from a couple months back that there is a major reconstruction upon us for bishop from river to st Anne’s road. Hopefully they include the st Mary’s interchange at bishop from the transportation master plan. As well as Dakota and st Anne’s!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 10:13 PM

^ No way... "major reconstruction" of Bishop Grandin likely means a new coat of asphalt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan