HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 1:31 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

better than nothing --

“Cleveland … is set to receive about 4,000 passengers via 38 cruise visits this year, up from 19 cruises in 2018.”

more:
https://twitter.com/mjarboe/status/1...2cLGzYhppnufSg

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 5:11 PM

Detroit sees record cruise ship activity in 2022

Quote:
Cruise ships docked in Detroit more than 50 times during the 2022 season, a record and more than double the amount of dockings in Detroit in 2019, the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority and a coalition of Midwest states, cruise lines and others said Friday.

The announcement coincided with the final weekend of cruise ships docking in Detroit. Le Bellot, a cruise ship operated by the French cruise operator Ponant, was docked in Detroit on Friday...

There were nearly 10,000 passenger visits to Detroit this year, which generated $1.2 million in economic impact for Detroit, Schrupp said.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...2/69563198007/

Was a huge summer for cruise ships in Detroit. Far more than just the Viking Octantis which by the way did end up docking at the downtown port. So port Detroit will easily be able to handle any passenger ship on the great lakes.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:41 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

happy anniversary to the us weather bureau, created nov 1, 1870 in cleveland to track great lakes weather.

https://twitter.com/MocCleveland/sta...LW8Dc9kUdNfF0w

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 9:27 PM

So is there a cross-national, Great Lakes regional culture of sorts?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 12:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
ive been all around them and i would say yeah definitely. maybe slightly more different eastern vs western than all around? and the canada side is mostly empty. but really pretty much its own world all over, people, employment, architecture, yeah.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
ive been all around them and i would say yeah definitely. maybe slightly more different eastern vs western than all around? and the canada side is mostly empty. but really pretty much its own world all over, people, employment, architecture, yeah.
I don't know about any culture that is ubiquitous throughout the Great Lakes' vast territory other than the area being considered to be "Great Lakes".

Regional cultural influences are MUCH stronger than belonging to the Great Lakes fraternity. I mean, we're talking what... a distance of 800 miles east to west... all part of Great Lakes "culture"? Maybe... but that's the same as saying Boston and Charleston have similar culture because they both are on the Atlantic.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

at places where the lakes connect and border bridges are easily built across the rivers/straits, i think you'll find a significant cross-border culture, so the niagara region, detroit/windsor, port huron/sarnia, and sault ste. marie.

but outside of those points of connection, the lakes themselves are vast enough to create different worlds unto themsselves.

couple that with the fact that the vast bulk of ontario's economic/cultural world swirls around lake ontario, while on the US side, things are centered around lakes erie and michigan, and that creates a further sense separation.

and as mentioned above, as you move west from lake ontario on the canadian side of the lakes, population starts dropping precipitously, and north/west of windsor, it falls off of a cliff. there's not a lot of major centers north of the western great lakes region on the candian side.

ON metro areas of the western great lakes:

windsor: 422,630
sudbury: 170,605
thunder bay: 123,258
sarnia: 97,592
sault ste. marie: 76,731

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 8, 2022 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
You think?

I don't think there's even a single Great Lakes culture within one country's side of the Great Lakes.

Like, I don't think Escanaba or Marquette have much in common with Oswego, NY.

Similarly, there's not much in common between Kingston, ON and Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
You think?

I don't think there's even a single Great Lakes culture within one country's side of the Great Lakes.

I dunno about the UP, but a lot of LP towns in Michigan were settled by transplants from upstate New York. That's why there is so much municipality and county naming overlap between upstate NY and Michigan.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I don't know about any culture that is ubiquitous throughout the Great Lakes' vast territory other than the area being considered to be "Great Lakes".

Regional cultural influences are MUCH stronger than belonging to the Great Lakes fraternity. I mean, we're talking what... a distance of 800 miles east to west... all part of Great Lakes "culture"? Maybe... but that's the same as saying Boston and Charleston have similar culture because they both are on the Atlantic.
well i didn’t say ubiquitous, just much more alike than different. the craftsman wood frame houses and all that. the economic drivers. have you driven around them much?

and instead let’s say seattle to sf as a better comparison than the most populated corridor in the usa, at least for that aspect.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
You think?

northern mich & suny oswego? yeah.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
well i didn’t say ubiquitous, just much more alike than different. have you driven around them much?

and instead let’s say seattle to sf as a better comparison that the most populated corridor in the usa, at least for that aspect.
Driven around a bit, not everywhere by a long shot. Though I don't see a heck of a lot of cultural sameness, other than the fact that a Great Lake is nearby, which is significant, but doesn't override regional culture.

To me, Rochester & Syracuse, for example, share a much closer common culture with non-Great Lakes places like Albany & Binghamton, than they do with, say, Duluth & Green Bay.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well i have driven alll the way around most of them and ok but i feel like for one thing you are moving off the waterfront here and we are starting to split hairs. i mean syracuse/rochester to chicago at least, i’m not seeing that glaring difference.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
i mean syracuse/rochester to chicago at least
well, there is that nasally-ass aaaaaaaaaccent!

source: https://vividmaps.com/english-accent...und-the-world/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i was about to say, even the people talk alike, but there ya go!

actually they used to say backwards canadian accent in cleveland because we tended to greet each other with aay hows it going? instead of hows it going, aay?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
well, there is that nasally-ass aaaaaaaaaccent!

source: https://vividmaps.com/english-accent...und-the-world/
People in NW Pennsylvania don't have that western/upstate NY nasally thing though... I think the midlands Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania accent must drown it out/combine with it to make the accent there rather indiscernible.

And there's no such thing as an "Appalachian" accent...at least not as depicted in that map.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

And there's no such thing as an "Appalachian" accent...at least not as depicted in that map.
well, yunz yinzers would say that!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:43 PM

Rochester has a nasaly accent, the same as in Buffalo, or Michigan, for that matter. Syracuse, not so sure. Syracuse is Central NY, not Western NY, and feels older and slightly more eastern. I think they have more of the flat Upstate accent you hear pretty much everywhere outside of the NYC orbit.

I went to college a little south of Syracuse, and the Finger Lakes accent was definitely different than where I grew up in Metro Detroit. But it wasn't an Eastern Seaboard-type accent either. To me, I can't tell any difference between Detroit and Buffalo/Rochester accents.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
well, yunz yinzers would say that!
True!

But... the Pittsburgh/SW PA accent is VERY different than what one hears down in TN, GA, SC, NC, KY, etc... as depicted in that map above. Come on... it's not even close.

I realize that map is certainly not a good one, but the whole thing is pretty far off.

The traditional "Pennsylvania" accent really spreads across the southern half of the state.

Philadelphia (accentuated DelCo sound is in my head) certainly has a very distinct sound, like Pittsburgh (accentuated South Hills/Mon Valley sound is in my head) does. But there are a lot of similarities in the accent throughout the southern half of PA, and Maryland, northern WV.

The northern half of PA is much more that flat, almost indistinguishable, kinda boring accent that Crawford mentions above about central/upstate NY.

Buffalo and Rochester have the nasally tone to their "A" sounds in words like "car". It's a really hard and short nasal tone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 7:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ the map may have a lot of large imperfections, but it was a quick 15 second google search to find somthing that showed what we all know: that there is a generally similar great lakes city accent stretching from buffalo to chicago, even if it might hop over NW PA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions