HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Khalil Ramal could give him a run for his money as Morgan is very much associated with Holder which isn't a good thing and Ramal, being an ex-MPP, has solid name recognition.

Whoever wins, that wasn't really my point about bringing up the significance of the London Mayoral race. It's noteworthy because London was the first city in Canada to have ranked ballots and now that they are gone, thanks to Ford, the results will be studied by policy wonks nationwide as to how effective the ranked ballot was on voter turnout and public engagement. The results of the London election and the demographic breakdown of it will be viewed as a case study for Canadians who want democratic reform.
I already replied to your point about voter turnout and ranked ballots. As I said in that reply, turnout was quite a bit lower with ranked ballots and a healthy mayoral race in 2018 compared to 2014. Nobody is going to be watching this city to see how we react to going back to FPTP, especially with the boring races we have.

Ramal will come in a distant second (wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lower 2nd place percentage than Charest got in the CPC leadership). He has been totally silent since he announced his campaign 3 months ago. He was a low-profile MPP in east London, barely any name recognition elsewhere in the city, and never was in cabinet. He was my MPP for his first 6 years, and I actually had to look up when he left office (2011). I'm around the city all day long for work, and he has signs on street corners, very few on yards. Morgan has signs everywhere. Not sure why you think being the deputy mayor to Ed Holder is a bad thing, Ed is a pretty popular mayor.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:49 AM

It's obvious Morgan is going to win big. He's basically been the mayor for much of 2022 anyway with all of the time off Holder has taken due to his health issues.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 12:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I already replied to your point about voter turnout and ranked ballots. As I said in that reply, turnout was quite a bit lower with ranked ballots and a healthy mayoral race in 2018 compared to 2014. Nobody is going to be watching this city to see how we react to going back to FPTP, especially with the boring races we have.

Ramal will come in a distant second (wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lower 2nd place percentage than Charest got in the CPC leadership). He has been totally silent since he announced his campaign 3 months ago. He was a low-profile MPP in east London, barely any name recognition elsewhere in the city, and never was in cabinet. He was my MPP for his first 6 years, and I actually had to look up when he left office (2011). I'm around the city all day long for work, and he has signs on street corners, very few on yards. Morgan has signs everywhere. Not sure why you think being the deputy mayor to Ed Holder is a bad thing, Ed is a pretty popular mayor.
Agreed. It is a shoe-in for Morgan. His signs are everywhere and he has nearly 100% recognition in London households.

The next city council could end up being (almost) all white men.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:42 PM

At least there will be one race to follow in the London region. Woodstock Mayor Trevor Birtch was arrested and charged with multiple counts of sexual assault earlier this year and is on paid leave while those go through the courts. But, he did register on the final day in August to run for re-election. Not sure how well he will do in this pretty conservative small city. I work in Woodstock and haven't seen a single sign of his yet and google doesn't show a campaign website. He has been mayor for 8 years and the race wasn't very close when he was re-elected in 2018.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...rges-1.6556776

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 5:05 PM

I've been to some other municipalities in Northern Ontario and some have had election signs up since August. In Timmins we don't have any yet because our by-law only allow them for 30 days before election day.

Our city is pretty easy going about where signs can be located unlike many cities in the South. Here they can be put on utility poles and street light posts just like you see in Quebec.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:04 AM

Winnipeg Mayoral front runner Glen Murray in hot water a possible big opening for his challenger Scott Gillingham.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/murray-d...tute-1.6090424

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:07 AM

comparison of Murray and Gillingham's platforms:

https://voteforscott.ca/bigmove/

https://www.glen4wpg.ca/mediareleases

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 8:25 PM

Worth a watch if you haven't already. I made my parents watch all three of these this weekend in an attempt to give them a different perspective on cycling and why proper infrastructure is needed.

This first one sees the narrators stand at various streets with bike lanes and bike "lanes" to determine how many people choose to not use the bike lanes and why.

Video Link

This second focuses on the Ottawa election campaign, but probably applies to just about every North American city. It speaks against Mayoral candidate Mark Sutcliffe's "War on Cars" propaganda and false narrative that "some people" (i.e. Mayoral candidate Catherine McKenney) want everyone to walk or bike.

Video Link

And one on winter cycling in Finland.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 8:43 PM

Winnipeg race Turing possibly into a tight 3 way race between Gillingham Murray and Shaun Loney since the Murray Pembina allegations broke waiting for polls to come out to confirm.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 8:53 PM

In Ottawa, Sutcliffe (status-quo candidate) is closing in on McKenney (progressive candidate) with 2 points difference between them. Chiarelli (former MPP and Mayor with old ideas) trails behind as a distant third. The other 11 are participating in debates, but barely register on the polls. Winner right now is the undecided.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 8:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In Ottawa, Sutcliffe (status-quo candidate) is closing in on McKenney (progressive candidate) with 2 points difference between them.
Is Mainstreet the only public pollster? They're usually low on gauging progressive votes and high on gauging conservative votes.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 11:05 PM

Municipal polls in general tend to be a bit of a crapshoot. Typically low turnout, hard to identify residents due to phone numbers often being from other area codes, lots of people who don't have strong opinions...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:52 PM
ハルウララ

Toronto Mayoral Polling (Forum)

Tory 56%
Penalosa 20%
Brown 6%
Acton 6%

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...fix-alone.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:24 PM

Went and did my patriotic duty yesterday in Surrey. I was surprised how busy it was considering it was 1 PM on a Wednesday. I asked an employee at the ballot box how busy it's been during the advance polls and she said that turn-out has more than doubled since the last election.

As far as polling itself, they can certainly reflect the outcome but I think less so in municipal elections than in any other. Apathy in civic elections is widespread and reflected in low turnouts. Much of this is because even a passable Mayor often gets re-elected for no other reason than name recognition.

This can, however, be a real problem for incumbents because a lot of people who say they will vote for the current Mayor do so only because they have never heard of the opposition. Many in this group say they will vote but never do while new candidates benefit from the opposite as their support tend to be much more solid, a more engaged political view, and hence get more voters out.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:27 PM
recession proof

To save money on insurance, I changed my address to Waterloo. However, I feel zero attachment to local politics and thus won't be voting. (I'll probably move here full time next year, finally giving up my cheap rent-controlled apt in Toronto; eventually I see myself moving to Alberta or somewhere in the Southern US.) Certainly the older I get, I feel all levels of gov't mostly cater to families, immigrants and middle class home owners & of course the rich. As a childless poor renter, I feel left out.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:32 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
To save money on insurance, I changed my address to Waterloo. However, I feel zero attachment to local politics and thus won't be voting. (I'll probably move here full time next year, finally giving up my cheap rent-controlled apt in Toronto; eventually I see myself moving to Alberta or somewhere in the Southern US.) Certainly the older I get, I feel all levels of gov't mostly cater to families, immigrants and middle class home owners. As a childless poor renter, I feel left out.
Edmonton would love to have you! Our municipal government is great and hopefully the current Provincial Government is out by then too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:50 PM
recession proof

I liked Edmonton's prewar housing stock, especially around Oliver, Westmount, Bonnie Doon, Strathcona & U Alberta but can't shake the extreme violence I witnessed as I tried to sleep in my car on 107 St NW near Jasper, although I recognize that's like parking overnight at Bay and College and expecting solitude lol. And then once you leave Edmonton on the Yellowhead, how quickly it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 9:14 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I liked Edmonton's prewar housing stock, especially around Oliver, Westmount, Bonnie Doon, Strathcona & U Alberta but can't shake the extreme violence I witnessed as I tried to sleep in my car on 107 St NW near Jasper, although I recognize that's like parking overnight at Bay and College and expecting solitude lol. And then once you leave Edmonton on the Yellowhead, how quickly it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere.
And that's the beauty of this place, if you like the outdoors that is. 40 minutes from City Hall to the gate of a national park (Elk Island) is pretty sweet.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 9:45 PM

Winnipeg Leger poll Murray 28 Gillingham 19 Klein 14 Loney 13 Motkaluk 8 but 22% undecided.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 9:46 PM

Brampton poll Patrick Brown now tied at 32% each with Kaur. If he loses will be one of the most epic political collapses from how promising things were looking for his career back in March.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada