HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 1:09 PM

This is going to have such an impact on the skyline and the vista going down South Broad. Now if only we could get some raised medians and planters in the middle of the road! There would be some major Park Ave vibes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
This is going to have such an impact on the skyline and the vista going down South Broad. Now if only we could get some raised medians and planters in the middle of the road! There would be some major Park Ave vibes.
raised medians and planters in the middle of south broad? where will everyone park?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:06 PM

The impace this build has on South Broad Street can not be overstated; it gives a more cosmopolitan feel to the Avenue of the Arts and its presences can be seen as far away as views from the Walt Whitman and South Street Bridges. I walked the South Street Bridge this morning and you can really see the building very good; so much so that I visualize its impact at twice the height; this is really good.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
raised medians and planters in the middle of south broad? where will everyone park?
Start with South Broad from Lombard - City Hall!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Start with South Broad from Lombard - City Hall!
It's pathetic this hasn't been done yet. The city is truly terrible at beatification. They spent millions on those dumb lamp posts on North Broad when in reality they should have landscaped medians on Broad (start with Washington to Girard because no one parks there). Spring Garden has a partly landscaped median with some sad trees west of Broad but it's pretty bad east of Broad.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
It's pathetic this hasn't been done yet. The city is truly terrible at beatification. They spent millions on those dumb lamp posts on North Broad when in reality they should have landscaped medians on Broad (start with Washington to Girard because no one parks there). Spring Garden has a partly landscaped median with some sad trees west of Broad but it's pretty bad east of Broad.
Those lanterns make me physically angry.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Those lanterns make me physically angry.
They really don’t deserve the name. Glow sticks at best.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:48 PM
Chris

Quote:
I still want to know what kind of corruption was at play with those ridiculous lanterns on N. Broad.

I have said for years, Broad Street should emulate Park Ave. Landscaped medians from Washington Ave all the way to Temple.

A costly initial investment, BUT, there are lots of wealthy people and companies that I am sure would get involved if there was a true effort from the city to beautify Philadelphia's streets, or at least Center City and move outward.

If I was a billionaire or CEO of a huge Philadelphia based company, I would donate money to a "city beautiful" movement rather than fork over money to UPenn or another already wealthy institution.

Park Ave maintenance is also largely funded by citizens and non-profit organizations, not sure how large of a reach Philadelphia has in that regard, but it's certainly a goal the city and its residents should strive for.

The "issues" that city council "focuses" on are generally ridiculous and do not benefit Philadelphia, its infuriating and depressing. I also worry about too many "progressive" taking over the old democratic machine seats, that will chase any chance of growth and investment to the burbs. (I say this as a democrat).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 12:49 AM

Since we're talking about beautification again (my favorite topic)...I sent Mark Squilla an email today with a link to this picture:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...2nd-germantown

asking why it can't be the case when a developer is literally ripping out an entire street (in this case, basically a few square blocks), that the city not require all the utilities go underground.

I chose to send it to Squilla because it's his district and I own a property in Northern Liberties, but please feel free to pile on.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I still want to know what kind of corruption was at play with those ridiculous lanterns on N. Broad.

I have said for years, Broad Street should emulate Park Ave. Landscaped medians from Washington Ave all the way to Temple.

A costly initial investment, BUT, there are lots of wealthy people and companies that I am sure would get involved if there was a true effort from the city to beautify Philadelphia's streets, or at least Center City and move outward.

If I was a billionaire or CEO of a huge Philadelphia based company, I would donate money to a "city beautiful" movement rather than fork over money to UPenn or another already wealthy institution.

Park Ave maintenance is also largely funded by citizens and non-profit organizations, not sure how large of a reach Philadelphia has in that regard, but it's certainly a goal the city and its residents should strive for.

The "issues" that city council "focuses" on are generally ridiculous and do not benefit Philadelphia, its infuriating and depressing. I also worry about too many "progressive" taking over the old democratic machine seats, that will chase any chance of growth and investment to the burbs. (I say this as a democrat).
I agree with most of this. This city, in general, doesn't find beautification projects as interesting as parking. Beautification gets lost under the guise of CRIME! and SCHOOLS! and unfortunately simple projects to make our space better and more beautiful is left to private enterprises like the CCD.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Since we're talking about beautification again (my favorite topic)...I sent Mark Squilla an email today with a link to this picture:

asking why it can't be the case when a developer is literally ripping out an entire street (in this case, basically a few square blocks), that the city not require all the utilities go underground.

I chose to send it to Squilla because it's his district and I own a property in Northern Liberties, but please feel free to pile on.
Because, as we've found out on this site, many city residents don't find overhead wires to be eyesores and obtrusive. Mate, if you start a movement I'll be happy to put significant funds behind a campaign(s) to push this issue.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I also worry about too many "progressive" taking over the old democratic machine seats, that will chase any chance of growth and investment to the burbs. (I say this as a democrat).
I'm also starting to get concerned about it, particularly the intersection between "progressive" policies and NIMBYism. Not to mention the effects on the business climate generally.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:39 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

FWIW Squilla is very good about emailing back constituents (probably the best in Council on that) so it wouldn't surprise me if you hear back from him directly.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:51 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
FWIW Squilla is very good about emailing back constituents (probably the best in Council on that) so it wouldn't surprise me if you hear back from him directly.
^^^^This! I once received a reply from him in about 10 minutes — on a Saturday. And I'm not even in his district.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:34 PM

This morning:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:55 PM
Future World Dictator

Has anyone here attended any of the open air concerts they've been doing? Happened to be driving by during yesterday's, and it sounded surprisingly good lol.

For context: https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...oncert-series/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
all the stuff on south broad was done by avenue of the arts back in the day. They funded those improvements and are responsible for keeping up with them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I agree with most of this. This city, in general, doesn't find beautification projects as interesting as parking. Beautification gets lost under the guise of CRIME! and SCHOOLS! and unfortunately simple projects to make our space better and more beautiful is left to private enterprises like the CCD.
it takes money to do these things and this is why CCD gets extra money to operate- they can only do those things because of the additional fees paid by commercial property owners. The CCD was created and funded JUST to do that. Its not like they do those things because they are smarter or more efficient than the City.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I remember someone asked Levy? about beautifying the center median between City Hall on Broad to the median down to the South Street intersection and the response was that emergency response and law enforcement vehicles need to be able to make u-turn so it can't be beautify. I can see that being a valid reason.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I remember someone asked Levy? about beautifying the center median between City Hall on Broad to the median down to the South Street intersection and the response was that emergency response and law enforcement vehicles need to be able to make u-turn so it can't be beautify. I can see that being a valid reason.
I'm sure they're using that as an excuse but if it can exist on Park Ave and Michigan Ave., it can exist here. There could be cut throughs as well like there is currently is and just landscape little chunks here and there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive