HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:40 AM

One issue anything radical like that bumps into is the subway tunnel as it turns north from it's Market St. axis. Nothing that a few $B can't resolve!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:18 PM

November CDR is out - nothing too exciting.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
November CDR is out - nothing too exciting.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/
708 E Locust seems pretty ambitious for the location.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:40 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
For political reasons, 95 had to run through Philadelphia at some point, even if for just a little bit. I have always said the best way to have done this would have been to send 95 over the Walt Whitman Bridge after going by the Stadiums and connect 95 up with the NJTPK after it crosses into NJ. But hey, we have what we have and the oldest part of our city was destroyed because of it.
Wasn't part of it that PHL and PA officials were begging to be including in I95 for regional pride reasons? We can't be left behind! And that's why they detoured a road through Philly at all costs - devouring neighborhoods - and it basically just stopped when you got to Upper Bucks County (until they finally completed the loop via 276 within the last year or two).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Well this is pretty ugly
I actually think it's rather nice looking.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Finally, the final design phase is beginning for Park at Penn’s Landing

https://whyy.org/articles/finally-th...penns-landing/
This is great news but I hope they add a "there" there - like a Ferris Wheel or something iconic and fun and playful that will be an instant attraction for families and residents and tourists beyond just a lawn...I mean, there's a huge lawn that no one uses (except maybe meandering tourists) like 4 blocks west of here.

EDIT: take a survey here and tell them what you'd like to see: https://delawareriverwaterfront.wufo...89twtt1apwbj4/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
This is great news but I hope they add a "there" there - like a Ferris Wheel or something iconic and fun and playful that will be an instant attraction for families and residents and tourists beyond just a lawn...I mean, there's a huge lawn that no one uses (except maybe meandering tourists) like 4 blocks west of here.

EDIT: take a survey here and tell them what you'd like to see: https://delawareriverwaterfront.wufo...89twtt1apwbj4/
Wow this is an incredible idea. It could be like Seattle's waterfront or Chicago's navy pier with ferris wheels.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Wow this is an incredible idea. It could be like Seattle's waterfront or Chicago's navy pier with ferris wheels.
Or London or LA or Paris or Tokyo or...

Fill out the survey I linked to and tell them that!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:32 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I agree. Has a classical feel to it (vertical lines between what I presume to be iron-cast windows, at least the look they've got going there).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
The Eye in London...fun. My spouse loved it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:42 PM
Philly Pholly

102 Units + Offices Planned for 4200 Block of Chestnut

4254-Chestnut-rendering-1-1024x729
http://www.rising.realestate/102-uni...k-of-chestnut/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

I'd agree. Just like South Bank in London.

However, and call me crazy, but with the recent resurgence of Camden, the aquarium already over there, so on and so forth... wouldn't it be pretty cool to see a Ferris Wheel, and observation tower and more over in Camden? Would make a ton of sense to me honestly.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Me too. The glass at the top is a bit odd. Otherwise, I quite like the building. Good lines. And we don't have enough white and light colored buildings.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'd agree. Just like South Bank in London.

However, and call me crazy, but with the recent resurgence of Camden, the aquarium already over there, so on and so forth... wouldn't it be pretty cool to see a Ferris Wheel, and observation tower and more over in Camden? Would make a ton of sense to me honestly.
This survey is insane - how are they going to evaluate it? These open text fields are going to be filled with who knows what.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:57 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Holy crap, the South Philly one is really bad. What sucks is that the idea is pretty good, but they've gone ahead and shot themselves in the foot by sticking the main loading dock literally on the corner of 23rd and Oregon, preventing it from being anything but an inward-facing suburban lifestyle center with an urban veneer. It gets even worse when you realize that there's an obvious place to put the loading dock, too, over by the the parking garage side of the project.

They're also not even bothering to reorient the Shop Rite on the site whose ass continually moons Oregon, either, even though the renovations they're proposing are extensive enough to offer ample opportunity to do so!

E: And of course the new LA Fitness building presents its ass to 24th Street, too. This site plan is so bad it's almost farcical. If I was CDR, this is what I'd be telling them:

1. Move Building F's loading dock to the other side of the building, the one on the site's backside over by the parking garage, like, you know, where a loading dock's supposed to go.
2. Aggressively reorient the Shop Rite to face 23rd Street, instead of the timid horseshit that preserves the blank wall on Oregon they've got now.
3. Reorient the LA Fitness so that its back wall faces south, you know, towards where you'd be hitting the backside of whatever replaces Building 1 (which itself is autocentric trash but only getting a facelift so w/e).
4. Reconsider the space between Buildings F and G, which would be much better as a small plaza, and the transportation patterns to the loading docks on the aforementioned buildings as well as the parking garage.
5. Above all else, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT coming back to CDR with a pair of blank walls flanking 23rd and Oregon!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I feel like a lot of these midsize North Broad projects that have gone to CDR haven't made it past CDR for some reason or another.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Oct 27, 2019 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:41 AM

IIRC, CDR is non binding, so it’s not really like something can be stopped by CDR, no?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
IIRC, CDR is non binding, so it’s not really like something can be stopped by CDR, no?
That's correct. I think if they aren't approved they have to. go through two rounds then they're free to go regardless.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:57 PM

So I went into Center City for the first time in almost two years. I was amazed at how good the projects along Market street are coming along. The Gallery renovation looks absolutely fantastic, at least from the street level. I was very skeptical about the renderings we'd seen (very annoyed they were leaving some of the original windows in place) but I have to admit everything looks great. All the signs, the lighting, and the additional work they have done at the street level have finally transformed Market East into a vibrant and great looking part of Center City.

I was down there with my Mom (it was her birthday) and even she - a perennial skeptic and hater of the city - was impressed with all the changes that have taken place. We walked down Market to Independence Mall. The walk was much greener and more vibrant than I have ever seen it, culminating in Independence Mall and the latticed ivy along the Liberty Bell pavilion. We were going to the Museum of the American Revolution (she'd always wanted to go) and the walk was really beautiful.

By the way, if you haven't been to the museum you have to go. A great addition to the already impressive collection of museums in the city. Honestly, it is now probably my favorite museum. Very well done. The movie about George Washington and his field tent is worth the price of admission (it is expensive) alone. Get there if you haven't been! There. Yet.

(Sorry I wasn't sure if it was a proper to end that sentence with the word been. Although now I suppose I've made everything worse, as there and yet, alone, cannot possibly constitute a proper sentence. Somewhere Sister Mary Vincent is cursing me for using poor sentence structure. I don't care. I hope she's rotting in hell. Bitch).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
So I went into Center City for the first time in almost two years. I was amazed at how good the projects along Market street are coming along. The Gallery renovation looks absolutely fantastic, at least from the street level. I was very skeptical about the renderings we'd seen (very annoyed they were leaving some of the original windows in place) but I have to admit everything looks great. All the signs, the lighting, and the additional work they have done at the street level have finally transformed Market East into a vibrant and great looking part of Center City. ...
Speaking of the Gallery, the liquor license cert is no longer on the 10th street corner space that The Yardhouse was going into. I don't know what that means but if they pulled out, that would be a huge bummer. The two corner spaces on that development are empty and haven't appeared to move forward AT ALL.

Anyone know some info on this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development