HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Add my name to the list of people confused by the lack of balconies on the King Square side. Yes, you'd get the refinery in the distance, but the uptown view would be pretty nice.
All apartments facing King’s Square have balconies - they are just facing south and North so it’s the narrower rail you’d overlook to the square. It’s possible this is intentional so that it’s more visually appealing for the public from the square. Balconies on east side may be ideal for dwellers but for aesthetics maybe better way they are ?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 8:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
This obviously makes sense however it does worry me that the timeline gets pushed back too far into the late fall and then they decide to begin construction in spring 2022.
I don't see a problem with this. Preferable a building goes up with confirmed tenants and pre-sales than if a building goes up and then sits empty. No point in rushing things.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
All apartments facing King’s Square have balconies - they are just facing south and North so it’s the narrower rail you’d overlook to the square. It’s possible this is intentional so that it’s more visually appealing for the public from the square. Balconies on east side may be ideal for dwellers but for aesthetics maybe better way they are ?
It looks like a vertical version of the Broadview Ave office complex, especially compared to the similar but better Irving building across the square. Two massive parks right there and a curtain wall with 4'x3' windows face it.

Provided the balconies project from the facade instead of being cut into it, I don't think it would have a negative impact.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 10:54 PM

According to Percy this building may go to 14 stories

also the designs are characterized as “rough” - so things may change yet. Also he describes it as some of the priciest real estate in NB

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:17 AM

Rant, rant, rant. Sorry.

I don't like it, the angles and perspectives are not nice, proportions are all wrong it does not complement the area at all. The top portion is awkward and very top heavy, with those large oversized overhangs, weird. Also, it will just be dangerous with wind, snow and ice. Just no no no, they should return to the drawing board. If this aspect was done to remove the height aspect, it doesn't do it. It just plain ugly.

The lower portion is ok-ish, it's brick and not prefab panels at least, well I hope, but the top portion is just... they need more natural light on the mid levels (5-11) and more glass, those small square windows are too small for residential units that could otherwise have great views.

Overall the ugliest part of the building is the top heavy feature (floor 11-14), it's not elegant or refined, it could use a crown feature instead. Building should go smaller as they rise and not increase, a wedding-cake style would be nice looking, the other way around is not, basic architecture 101... Look it up. The setbacks needs to be there even if not drastic, or just do it as a box with little or no ornementation at all on the top 2-3 levels. I'm not sure if very minimalist design would work well in Uptown SJ though...

The minor height permission is not what worries me in this case, I hope the Commission & Council talks about the design itself...
This is a landmark corner if there is one in SJ, get back to the drawing boards. They should bring at least 3 options so the public and city can discuss. Nicer doesn't always mean more expensive so please I hope the architect firm can welcome some feedback.

On a positive note, I do like the bronze color of the top floors.

End of rant.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jul 20, 2021 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 4:19 AM

I think Percy should just call the developers of The Trillium in Halifax and just build the exact same thing to spec. Would be cheaper than hiring architects lol.
Name it The Residences @ Kings Square and call it a day.
Here’s the streetview link.
https://goo.gl/maps/UcnjfPkXZaQqXDSE8

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I think Percy should just call the developers of The Trillium in Halifax and just build the exact same thing to spec. Would be cheaper than hiring architects lol.
I 100% agree, good call! Something similar would be fine. Everything I pointed out with an example! LOL

Even Regency Park in Fredericton is more pleasant than what is proposed, you can see some setbacks and tiers going on.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jul 22, 2021 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
So then we’ll just look like Halifax? I say wait for the final specs see what it will look like. I’d rather have a unique building designed by a Saint Johner than a typical modern looking building you find in Halifax, Montreal or Calgary. I’d rather go bold than typical. I would love to have it peer reviewed to get an architects perspective, but not going to happen.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:33 PM
ハルウララ

August 13, 2021

photo by me

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
So then we’ll just look like Halifax? I say wait for the final specs see what it will look like. I’d rather have a unique building designed by a Saint Johner than a typical modern looking building you find in Halifax, Montreal or Calgary. I’d rather go bold than typical. I would love to have it peer reviewed to get an architects perspective, but not going to happen.
No. However The Trillium is a beautiful building and I find the curved windows are similar (albeit taller) to The Mercantile Centre. Which would have looked amazing if taller.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 10:31 PM

I listened to Mr. Wilbur present to council tonight and here are a few takeaways:

They’re hoping to put shovels in the ground this fall, he added next spring at the latest. Tonight council passed first and second reading of the zoning bylaw. This means a HUGE tower crane could hit the sky uptown by years end.

A lot of the conversation was spent talking about the commercial space. City manager has requested Envision Saint John work with the developer to find tenants due to the importance of the project.

Mr. Wilbur acknowledged the office market is tough and that he’s open to eliminating a floor of office space. He also says he’s received plenty of request for the residential units.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I listened to Mr. Wilbur present to council tonight and here are a few takeaways:

They’re hoping to put shovels in the ground this fall, he added next spring at the latest. Tonight council passed first and second reading of the zoning bylaw. This means a HUGE tower crane could hit the sky uptown by years end.

A lot of the conversation was spent talking about the commercial space. City manager has requested Envision Saint John work with the developer to find tenants due to the importance of the project.

Mr. Wilbur acknowledged the office market is tough and that he’s open to eliminating a floor of office space. He also says he’s received plenty of request for the residential units.
Wonder if they eliminate a commercial floor if they’ll shorten the building, or just add another res floor. I’ve come to like the design - I think the side facing King St will especially be striking from a distance.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 11:36 PM

No updates in almost a year. Is this thing built yet?

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
No updates in almost a year. Is this thing built yet?
As of now, it remains a crater, nothing more nothing less. No sign of activity since demolition was complete last summer.

Personally, I don't think the viability of this project is dead given market conditions are still strong, the location of the project, uptown gaining a lot of momentum, and the developer's track record. It has been radio silence from anyone who may have any insight into the status of this project. I like to think that means there's work going on behind the scenes on the design but I could be wrong.

I don't doubt the delay of The Wentworth is pushing 99 King back. When the developer started demolition of 99 King the Wentworth was planned to open in November 2021, it didn't open until May 2022. Maybe we will get a start date this fall?

Another thing that I assume has complicated things is it is rumored human remains (bones) were found in the late fall.

Regardless of the scenario, this location is already closer to being developed than ever before because demolition is complete.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
As of now, it remains a crater, nothing more nothing less. No sign of activity since demolition was complete last summer.

Personally, I don't think the viability of this project is dead given market conditions are still strong, the location of the project, uptown gaining a lot of momentum, and the developer's track record. It has been radio silence from anyone who may have any insight into the status of this project. I like to think that means there's work going on behind the scenes on the design but I could be wrong.

I don't doubt the delay of The Wentworth is pushing 99 King back. When the developer started demolition of 99 King the Wentworth was planned to open in November 2021, it didn't open until May 2022. Maybe we will get a start date this fall?

Another thing that I assume has complicated things is it is rumored human remains (bones) were found in the late fall.

Regardless of the scenario, this location is already closer to being developed than ever before because demolition is complete.
If the delay is due to the Wentworth and human bones being discovered than I'd say that's acceptable. What wouldn't be in my eyes, is creating a large crater, in the centre of uptown for the entire summer. While we have cruise ships make their return (including at one point the biggest in the world), plus some of Canada's eyes on the city for the Memorial Cup.

Unforeseen circumstances, but it's a shame it's not even an active site to at least appear more than just a large, sitting crater.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:56 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Is there a story on the remains? I looked around and couldn't find anything.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Is there a story on the remains? I looked around and couldn't find anything.
No. It was very low key.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
If the delay is due to the Wentworth and human bones being discovered than I'd say that's acceptable. What wouldn't be in my eyes, is creating a large crater, in the centre of uptown for the entire summer. While we have cruise ships make their return (including at one point the biggest in the world), plus some of Canada's eyes on the city for the Memorial Cup.

Unforeseen circumstances, but it's a shame it's not even an active site to at least appear more than just a large, sitting crater.
No cruise ship passenger is gonna think twice about a hole in the ground. They're not the ones seeing no progress.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 12:46 AM

There is an article in the Telegraph Journal (paywalled), construction is not going to start anytime soon, due to rising costs. The building is currently going through a redesign.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
There is an article in the Telegraph Journal (paywalled), construction is not going to start anytime soon, due to rising costs. The building is currently going through a redesign.
Do you have a link to the article? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: found it.

https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/101884794?ref=rss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces