HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:46 PM

My guess is that we just see some site prep this year. It was a parking lot, so at least they could remove the old asphalt. Then in the spring they'd be ready to start the excavation work.

That said, Mr. Grandmaison seemed to want to get the ball rolling on this project ASAP when he was interviewed about it in February. I'd kind of like to see them go ahead with the project now, and over the winter get as much done as possible.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:55 PM

Drove by the site this afternoon and there's nothing happening. But the roads they've upgraded look good with the new curbs and sidewalks.

So I guess we'll get a next spring start on this project.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 6:52 PM

I took a drive by the property today, and there's no activity yet. The land is clear and looks prime for construction to start. Let's hope there's no delay, as it's another exciting project for the downtown core.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I won't start to panic yet unless they haven't broken ground by the end of April.

It will be a two year build. Hopefully there is no further delay...........

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moved posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
I feel as though st. Benard may be delayed, maybe they are waiting on the material cost to go down. But they should have at least construction fencing by now

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moved post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not going to panic for now, but if there is no construction fencing up or stakes in the ground by the first of May, then I will start to worry.

This is a significant project, and Groupe Frederic is a bit of an unknown. There isn't much online about this company. If they are pushing the envelope with this project, then financing could be tight, and could be affected by cost inflation.

I hope not. I love this project.......

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moved post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I've had a gut feeling about this project for some time now, and not a positive feeling. If built, it would be a major shot in the arm for downtown so I really hope it proceeds as it was presented last year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moved post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
Groupe Frederic sold the land in February to a numbered company that lists Trevor Ritchie as its director. One of his companies was also behind the building on Weldon with townhouses on the ground floor.

What this means for the site plans is unclear. Last month city council approved changing over the development incentive from Groupe Frederic to the company that now owns the land.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
Groupe Frederic sold the land in February to a numbered company that lists Trevor Ritchie as its director. One of his companies was also behind the building on Weldon with townhouses on the ground floor.

What this means for the site plans is unclear. Last month city council approved changing over the development incentive from Groupe Frederic to the company that now owns the land.
This is a significant development.

At the very least, this calls into question whether of not the design of this building will remain the same. St. Bernard Square is (was) significantly larger (and more classy) than the Weldon Street apartment buildings. Will the new owners keep the same design, or opt for something more modest instead?

I am very concerned..........

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I honestly think this proposal is now dead in the water, what with the change in ownership of this property.

I am very sad about this. This building could have been the impetus to rejuvenate the east end of downtown. I am not confident that any new proposal will match this in any way.

I wonder how long this lot will remain fallow now????

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:56 PM

I am pretty sure Trevor Ritchie is with Brinkley investment inc. They are the one developing the 5 storey residential building along the coast in Cap Bimet.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 10:31 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:

I honestly think this proposal is now dead in the water, what with the change in ownership of this property.

I am very sad about this. This building could have been the impetus to rejuvenate the east end of downtown. I am not confident that any new proposal will match this in any way.

I wonder how long this lot will remain fallow now????

I sure hope the city doesn’t settle for another generic 4-6 storey building for this very high profile lot next to a historic building. This lot deserves better.

Last edited by NBNYer; Apr 13, 2022 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 11:02 PM

Just because the property changed hands doesnt meant the proposal is dead. I’m sure whoever bought it won’t build something exactly the same, but they wouldn’t have bought it if they intended to sit on the vacate land. Especially after the city spent a lot of money upgrading the infrastructure in the immediate vicinity of the lot.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 11:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just because the property changed hands doesnt meant the proposal is dead. I’m sure whoever bought it won’t build something exactly the same, but they wouldn’t have bought it if they intended to sit on the vacate land. Especially after the city spent a lot of money upgrading the infrastructure in the immediate vicinity of the lot.
Well, the fact the city has transferred the incentive grant to the new owners is encouraging, and I imagine there are strings attached ensuring development occurs within a certain period of time, so something will get built here. I just doubt it will be anything on such a grand scale.

I could be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Well, the fact the city has transferred the incentive grant to the new owners is encouraging, and I imagine there are strings attached ensuring development occurs within a certain period of time, so something will get built here. I just doubt it will be anything on such a grand scale.

I could be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
This could be more incentive for Ashford to move forward with their plans, one less large apartment complex to compete with. Though I don’t believe this project is dead, I have a feeling, there are some things holding it back, lack or Crane/crane operators for one.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 9:08 PM

Is there anything new with this project?

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Is there anything new with this project?
I drove by the site Saturday morning, and there is absolutely nothing going on. That's not surprising though, as the property recently changed hands. I would imagine that there's some planning going on behind the scenes, as it's not likely that an active developer would invest that money for no reason. Especially since the Weldon Street project is close to wrapping up. The question is, what do they intend to build and what's the time frame. I liked the previous 12 story proposed building, and I hope any new plan will be equally substantial.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 3:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This post was just made on the general downtown thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam63 View Post
Happened to be at an open house on Weldon street today and ran into the owner. He mentioned he had two upcoming projects. One of which is on a lot next to Bernard’s church consisted of 150 units over 12 floors.
This conforms to the specifications of St. Bernard Square. Maybe this development isn't quite dead yet after all.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
This post was just made on the general downtown thread:

This conforms to the specifications of St. Bernard Square. Maybe this development isn't quite dead yet after all.
If Frederic Properties isn't going to proceed, then they wouldn't have any use for the design plans they did for the building. So it would make sense that they would offer them in the sale of the land.

And we knew that the developer of the new building on Weldon Street was the purchaser of the St. Bernard's land. So it looks like this project very well could proceed at some point. I hope so.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
If Frederic Properties isn't going to proceed, then they wouldn't have any use for the design plans they did for the building. So it would make sense that they would offer them in the sale of the land.

And we knew that the developer of the new building on Weldon Street was the purchaser of the St. Bernard's land. So it looks like this project very well could proceed at some point. I hope so.

I am glad it is still on their list of things to build. Hoping they haven't dumbed it down to 5 or 6 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces