HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:43 AM

Personally i think it will be a small, but nice change to that side of the WAG.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 2:17 PM

For the sake of reference, here's how it looks now:

For what it's worth I don't think the proposed redesign is bad, but I get what vike is saying about messing around with original designs. That can lead you to unfortunate Ecce Homo type situations:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:51 PM
surely you agree with me

exactly!

Cutting open the wall to expose the gift shop is like painting over a Monet because you want the colours to be more vibrant.

The shifting angles of stone from that specific point is the embodiment of the entire design concept in one move. Its where the two planes diverge from each other. a critical moment in the design. In that one move at that precise point the folding angles of the building are expressed. It is a very powerful move, done with exquisite subtlety. Cutting it open and filling it in with storefront curtain wall is a ham fisted desecration of a timeless masterpiece.

The power of the entry experience relies on the juxtaposition of the deep opening and the imposing visual weight of the stone wall as it slides beneath the dramatic cantilever above. That experience is now gone. Its not a f*cking strip mall.

The architects should be ashamed.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 12, 2020 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:22 PM

Portage and Main staying closed to pedestrians, and now this.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Hopefully they put in a flashing "open" or "closed" sign in the window, so at least we will know when the gift shop is open.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For the sake of reference, here's how it looks now:

For what it's worth I don't think the proposed redesign is bad, but I get what vike is saying about messing around with original designs. That can lead you to unfortunate Ecce Homo type situations:

In Doña Cecilia Giménez's defence, I don't think her intention was to redesign the painting. Just happened to be the end result.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Hopefully they put in a flashing "open" or "closed" sign in the window, so at least we will know when the gift shop is open.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
exactly!

Cutting open the wall to expose the gift shop is like painting over a Monet because you want the colours to be more vibrant.

The shifting angles of stone from that specific point is the embodiment of the entire design concept in one move. Its where the two planes diverge from each other. a critical moment in the design. In that one move at that precise point the folding angles of the building are expressed. It is a very powerful move, done with exquisite subtlety. Cutting it open and filling it in with storefront curtain wall is a ham fisted desecration of a timeless masterpiece.

The power of the entry experience relies on the juxtaposition of the deep opening and the imposing visual weight of the stone wall as it slides beneath the dramatic cantilever above. That experience is now gone. Its not a f*cking strip mall.

The architects should be ashamed.
If they actually deface this timeless gem, as Vike aludes to, I'm afraid that Adelaide Station becomes my new go-to modernist blank wall in the downtown area.

Adelaide Station, for those that are unfamiliar, is an absolute masterpiece at the corner of Hargrave and Notre Dame. You'll notice the intentional juxtaposition of tyndall stone and black brick, a rare finish in these prairie streets. The black brick is a subtle nod to rain clouds, which when they erupt and spill their rains onto the prairie landscape, create the lifeblood that powers our northern dams and provide hydro electricity. Not to be overlooked are the twin 'benches' at the western entrance. They pull pedestrians in with their sharp edge features, and encourage them to sit to admire the imported landscaped yard (Kentucky bluegrass). On the Notre Dame facade, the urban design team made certain to bring the outer wall flush to the sidewalk. This intentional design intervention was made to bridge old and new, modern and heritage. The mini-cantilevered section at the corner pays homage to The Spot apartments at 2815 Pembina Highway, connecting the edges of the Old Chinatown and the New.

While our resident arbiters of taste will shun the station's lack of permeability, it should be highlighted that at close proximity, the experience walking alongside it is nearly identical to walking next the WAG. For those who will forever shun the artwork at 300 Memorial due to the tiny addition of glass windows, please do not discount the opportunities that await at Adelaide Station!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
If they actually deface this timeless gem, as Vike aludes to, I'm afraid that Adelaide Station becomes my new go-to modernist blank wall in the downtown area.

Adelaide Station, for those that are unfamiliar, is an absolute masterpiece at the corner of Hargrave and Notre Dame. You'll notice the intentional juxtaposition of tyndall stone and black brick, a rare finish in these prairie streets. The black brick is a subtle nod to rain clouds, which when they erupt and spill their rains onto the prairie landscape, create the lifeblood that powers our northern dams and provide hydro electricity. Not to be overlooked are the twin 'benches' at the western entrance. They pull pedestrians in with their sharp edge features, and encourage them to sit to admire the imported landscaped yard (Kentucky bluegrass). On the Notre Dame facade, the urban design team made certain to bring the outer wall flush to the sidewalk. This intentional design intervention was made to bridge old and new, modern and heritage. The mini-cantilevered section at the corner pays homage to The Spot apartments at 2815 Pembina Highway, connecting the edges of the Old Chinatown and the New.

While our resident arbiters of taste will shun the station's lack of permeability, it should be highlighted that at close proximity, the experience walking alongside it is nearly identical to walking next the WAG. For those who will forever shun the artwork at 300 Memorial due to the tiny addition of glass windows, please do not discount the opportunities that await at Adelaide Station!

HA HA HA HA. Ohhh my god that was funny. but I do sympathize with those that are against the change.. but it doesn’t bother me.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:20 AM
Starring as himself

It reminds me of that MLA who wanted to tart up the Pool of the Black Star in the Legislative Building with a bright new paint job. It's just that you'd think that the management of an art gallery would be a little less bumpkinish.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

I guess you can call me a bumpkin, because, honestly, I don't see how the addition of these windows destroys the overall look of the WAG. To my apparently ignorant eyes, the overall shape remains the same, the sides still look sparse (well, "bleak" is how I would describe them, but that's just me), and the entrance is still kind of cave-like.

Sure, I get it, the windows were not part of the architects original concept, however I believe neither were the giant-sized posters the WAG hangs on the side of the building to advertise their exhibitions. Personally I don't think these "ruin" the look of the building, and IMO, the windows will not ruin it either.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:12 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I guess you can call me a bumpkin, because, honestly, I don't see how the addition of these windows destroys the overall look of the WAG. To my apparently ignorant eyes, the overall shape remains the same, the sides still look sparse (well, "bleak" is how I would describe them, but that's just me), and the entrance is still kind of cave-like.

Sure, I get it, the windows were not part of the architects original concept, however I believe neither were the giant-sized posters the WAG hangs on the side of the building to advertise their exhibitions. Personally I don't think these "ruin" the look of the building, and IMO, the windows will not ruin it either.

Bumpkin! (Since you said I could)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:14 PM
Starring as himself

anyway, I’m sure it’s a done deal so we’ll have to enjoy the bleak cave whilst we are still able...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:21 PM

As I mentioned, the “iconic” NAC in Ottawa was improved vastly with the addition of glass and a grand entrance that invites people in. The WAG change is much less invasive.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Bumpkin! (Since you said I could)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

I share your opinion. I'd even go so far as to say it improves the building by making it less like a Jawa Sandcrawler and more like a building made for people. Especially in the context of the new Inuit gallery, whose scale makes the original entrance look like a service entrance by comparison. I hope they have high standards for what's in the windows though.

The giant posters are 100x worse for the aesthetic of the building. Regardless of how good the exhibit they're advertising is, they look tacky on the otherwise clean and minimalist facade.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 3:30 AM

Yeah it won’t be that bad... if anything it will accentuate the cantilever making it appear massive.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:24 AM
Starring as himself

Winnipeg Art Gallery by wintorbos, on Flickr

One of mine from 2004.

Before it was redesigned in the hope of attracting a 7-Eleven franchise.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:13 PM

LinkedIn has a post from Sparrow Hotels (Inn Forks, Norwood, Mere) saying that their new catering company is partnering with WAG. yum yum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Geez. What is it with architects and cantilevers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan