HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:49 AM

FORT WORTH | Trinity River Vision / Panther Island

There's a lot to this project but I'll try to give it all in summary right now.

-The project is focusing on rerouting the Trinity River in the area North of downtown and south of the historic Stockyards district. It serves as both a flood control project and an urban revitalization project. Currently, the area of the TRV is mostly light industrial and abandoned.

-The Panther Island moniker is more or less the name of the vision area near downtown. It was formerly known as "Trinity Uptown". The TRV as whole encompass's several other parts of the river downstream.

-At the current moment, the project is mostly in demolition phase. A few rerouted roads have been built for construction of the future bridges. There are various utilities that have been relocated aswell. No major milestones have really been meet.

-It is projected that up to 10,000 units of housing and 3 million square feet of retail will be a part of the project.

-Funding has been an issue. Currently the projected cost is around 910 million.

-Three new bridges are being planned for the project on North Main, Henderson, and White Settlement. The bridges will be some of the first things constructed as part of the project. Initially they will go over the empty dirt canals before they are flooded. Bridges are scheduled to be completed by 2017 and started this year.

-LaGrave Field, the historic stadium which is home of minor league Soccer and Baseball will be incorporated into the project.

-Ned Kahn has been called upon to design artwork that will be place in the center of the Henderson street roundabout.

-Several canals and smaller channels will be built as part of the plan. A large central lake will also be incorporated just north of downtown. It is part of the goal to allow boats to be used for recreation and transportation around the city.

-Randall Stout Architects are designing 4 pedestrian bridges. Cost of these alone is 13.1 Million.

-Estimated completion time for the canals and bridges is around 2024, but no hard target date is set.

-In the meantime, the project area has a few entertainment venues built. Concerts are held on the riverbank, a drive in movie theater has been built, and this winter an outdoor skating rink was opened.

And that's the gist of it. Here are some rendering of the project.

The plan view of project.

Panther Island/Central City by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

Conceptual view of what the entire project would look like. While the channels, bridges and parks are all public funded, the developments shown should all be private.

Trinity Uptown - Looking South by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

However, there are guidelines in place as to how development should occur. As an example of that, here is the height guidelines of buildings in the district. You can read more about developmental guidelines here.

What a view down the channels could look like.

Trinity Uptown - Behind Middle Control Gate by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

A rendering of the Henderson street bridge, which should be one of the first parts of the project completed.

Henderson Street Bridge Rendering Fort Worth Texas by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

Further down the river is the 1,000 acre gateway park. Here's a part of the planned progress there.

6,500-seat Outdoor Amphitheater in Gateway Park by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

And here is a GIF I've made showing the progress of demolition going on in the area of the project, made using google earth. Much of what has been removed is industrial in nature. I assume that some of the smaller commercial structures and the TXU energy plant will be left, restored and incorporated into the project.

If you are wanting to learn more about the project, Trinity River Vision's website has a load more information, and you can follow a more detailed discussion over on Fort Worth Architecture's forum. TRV's Flickr page also contains more renderings, as well as progress updates and pictures from events taking place at the various venues.

Last edited by Austin55; Feb 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 3:12 AM

Good lord, this looks amazing! If I had a spare 910 mil lying around, i'd finance this beast myself.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:35 AM
Everywhere all at once

YYYAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS thank you for making this thread!!! For me this is one of the most exciting, visionary urban development projects in the country at the moment. So glad that I'll be able to follow it a little closer now. This will do wonders for putting Fort Worth on the map, and giving it its own identity apart from Dallas/the Metroplex.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:56 AM

Glad you two are interested!

In recent good news,

Star Telegram: Fort Worth council OKs $6.63 million for Trinity Uptown bridges

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:18 PM

The bridges had a groundbreaking ceremony this morning. Here's how they celebrated, https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152772705412088

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:39 PM

I think that's going to alter my evening jog...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 8:15 AM

Recently revealed plans for the "Trinity River Promenade" along the bypass, consisting of riverwalks and several parks.

Trinity River Promenade along Panther Island by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

Trinity River Promenade along Panther Island by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

Trinity River Promenade Park North by Trinity River Vision, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 8:57 PM

Some small progress on the roundabouts. Here's what it's meant to look like when done.

http://www.fwpublicart.org/nu_site/p...ction#projects

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 9:00 PM
BANNED

all those max heights need another 0 at the end.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:24 PM

This is amazing!!

Any updates on the progress of this? I can't wait to see this new urban environment!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
This is amazing!!

Any updates on the progress of this? I can't wait to see this new urban environment!
Nothing of huge significance, still very much moving dirt, relocating utilities, etc.

The Ned Kahn sculpture has been installed though. I'm not sure that it is complete. It's at the center of the roundabout shown in my last post. The roundabout is partially open as well.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

This is incredible but I'm not holding my breath...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 2:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

^i feel the same. In order to complete this as shown in those renderings you almost have to have the political will of a place like China or another ladder climbing developing country. This is Texas. My cynical guess is this scheme will start to falter when one of the dense multi use designations instead gets developed as a standalone Red Robin.

I genuinely hope Fort Worth can make this happen as depicted.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 1:51 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^i feel the same. In order to complete this as shown in those renderings you almost have to have the political will of a place like China or another ladder climbing developing country. This is Texas. My cynical guess is this scheme will start to falter when one of the dense multi use designations instead gets developed as a standalone Red Robin.

I genuinely hope Fort Worth can make this happen as depicted.
Except these kinds of large scale piecemeal redevelopments are happening successfully all over the state...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 11:05 PM

Star Telegram video highlighting construction bridge construction.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/article36955866.html

Regarding the above concerns, the area does have very strict design guidelines, I think the area will mostly end up with lots of 3-6 floor Dallas doughnut apartment buildings, which isn't the most interesting urban setup, but I don't foresee drive throughs or strip malls. Of course, we've yet to see any developers step forward with any plans.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 9:49 PM

The first private development has been announced!

Developer announces multi-family project for Panther Island District

October 20, 2016
Robert Francis

Quote:
The first large private development for the Panther Island District was announced Oct. 20 and officials behind the Trinity River Vision project say they expect to see many announcements follow.
Quote:
The 233,198 square-foot multi-family community, called Encore Panther Island, will connect the streetscape to the Riverwalk environment planned for the district. Residents will have waterfront balconies, an infinity pool with cascading waterfalls, a state-of-the-art fitness facility and a top floor lounge that will feature views of downtown. Located at the intersection of 4th Street and North Main Street, residents at the 300-unit community will be walking distance to neighbors such as Panther Island Brewing, Coyote Drive-In and Panther Island Pavilion.
Quote:
Construction for Encore Panther Island is slated to begin summer 2017. Encore Multi-Family anticipates a grand opening date of summer 2018. Architect for the project is Good, Fulton & Farrell and the civil engineer will be Kimley-Horn & Associates

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:41 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Honestly, I've been waiting for news regarding this. This area if it ends up anywhere near what is envisioned, will be one of the most radical and widespread transformations near any downtown in Texas over the last decade.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:56 AM

The bridge piers are being poured. More info on them.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:57 AM

First private delopment (from post 16 above) has broken ground,

http://trinityrivervision.org/trva-n...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 4:32 AM

Where is the canal going in that development?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development