HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 11:50 PM
The RI Webguy

PROVIDENCE | Hope Point Tower | 600 FT | 46 FLOORS

Hey, guys.

Long time no see. The real-estate crash kinda put me in hibernation.

Title: Hope Point Towers
Project: Residential
Architect: Unknown
Developer: The Fane Organization
Neighborhood: Jewelry District
District: Downtown
Floors: 55, 43, and 33 respectively
Height: (est.) 550 ft, 430 ft, and 330 ft

Not sure how realistic this proposal is, but it was formally made and was announced in the Providence Journal. There's a bit of red tape to be crossed here, so this could become a stale proposal. Still kind of encouraging to see these kinds of proposals made now, after a nearly decade-old slump in projects like these in Providence.

Link

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:29 PM

These are either just ahead of the imminent retro-fetishizing resurgence of Post Modernism or they're that far behind. Either way, they're certainly neat, but they would be city image-defining if realized. Michael Graves would be pleased.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 7:11 PM
The RI Webguy

I agree the design is rather uninspired. I have a feeling it's going to go through a lot of redesigns before approval, assuming it ever does get approved.

Providence's architecture has been a mix of art deco from years gone by and post modern, with just a dash of international style. Unlike a lot of other cities, it didn't have an International-style Architecture boom, which makes its skyline a little bit unique. A building of this size would very likely be the centerpiece of the skyline for a very long time, and thus I think it really needs to stand out as a landmark.

The design proposed here is interesting, but it clashes a bit with the historical cityscape, and I don't think it would ever be a groundbreaking or identifiable landmark the same way the Prudential Center, Empire State Building, or Transamerica Tower is. I would love to see a design that better reflects the historic New England heritage, rather than it be just another "hey look at us, we're a hip post-modern city just like Austin and Portland!"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 9:17 PM
The RI Webguy

Feedback

Some feedback on the proposal are polarized a bit. Some people hate the design, thinking it's either out of scale for the skyline or its design clashes with its surroundings. Others are worried that the state will give unfair tax breaks to the developers to woo them in (a RI tradition). However, others including the governor are excited about it.

Skyscrapers would change Providence for worse

Proposed high-rises dubbed ‘towers of evil’ by foe

Raimondo says proposed skyscrapers show investors interested in RI

I can understand those who aren't excited about the design. However, the scale is not as drastic as the renderings portray. The renderings' perspective and angle make them look far taller than they really are, and while the 55 story tower is going to be noticeably taller than the existing buildings, I don't think its size will look as out of place as people will make it out to be. It's estimated to be roughly 600 feet, which is about 30% taller than the 430 foot Industrial Trust Tower, which mind you, at the time of its construction, was about twice the height of the tallest building at the time.

Also, the reclaimed land (from a highway move from several years ago) that these buildings will be built on is merely a sliver of the vacant land available, some of which has been earmarked for university expansion from Brown and Johnson and Wales, although I think negotiations are still ongoing as to who will build what over there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:58 PM
The RI Webguy

A tall order: 195 panel seeks analysis of Providence high-rise plan

The fact that there is some serious consideration of the plan is encouraging. If they're able to get a good analysis report, it might lead to some motivation from folks to give them a green light. Still, there are some nay-sayers who probably won't ever get swayed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:15 PM
The RI Webguy

Developer revises plan, pitches 1 high-rise for Providence

I kinda saw this happening. This might have been his plan all along, start big, then after some discontent, pitch a smaller scale project that's still significant. And, of course, if the project is a success, the others can still be added in later phases. The tower would still become RI's tallest, although the revised plan has it shortened to 440 feet, which is only 12 feet taller than the current tallest.

The discussions are a mix of confusion and upset. Some people believe the developers are going to take advantage of unfair tax benefits, although as of right now it seems the only tax benefit the developer will have is the pre-existing bonuses the commission was originally planning to provide anyone who builds on this vacant, big or small. Some are even comparing it to the whole 38 Studios debacle, which is apples-to-oranges.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:54 PM
The RI Webguy

Sometime in January/February, it was reported that the tower project was "DOA" because of some back deal made with an adjacent property owner to keep the parcel as green space with an unobstructed view.

However, it looks like it is, in fact, still alive after all. They are reviewing a plan to give some $18 M in tax breaks in order for the plan to proceed.

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...ence-high-rise

Looks like the vote is on Tuesday. We'll see what happens there. Hard to say if this project will ever get off the ground, even with the approval of subsidies.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:37 PM
The RI Webguy

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...-in-providence

...and it got preliminary approval by the development commission. Now it just needs zoning approval, and I think that'll set the project in stone.

Latest plans are calling for a 46-story tower that could be up to 475 feet or so. There's a possibility the design might change a bit, but we won't see any updated renderings until it clears zoning.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:39 PM

nice, How long has it been since Providence has seen a new highrise of this scale?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:29 PM
The RI Webguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
nice, How long has it been since Providence has seen a new highrise of this scale?
The last big project was the Residences Providence (115 meters) and the shorter Waterplace Towers (71/64 meters) in 2007 and 2008 respectively, timed perfectly to complete just before the housing bubble burst.

In the last year or so, quite a few residential projects started up again, most of them either renovations of old mill buildings or low rise projects. This is the only major high rise project that's got some viable possibility of getting underway.

Providence has a lot of historical societies who tend to scrutinize any highrise project, plus it's always had a pretty shaky economy, so those two issues have stunted its skyline growth a bit. However, when there's periods of economic prosperity, the developers usually win out over the NIMBY's if they're truly gung ho about their intentions.

One thing I will say I like about the culture, despite the small growth aspect to it, is usually you end up with cool, unique designs that reflect the historic New England nature of the city, and it makes for a rather aesthetic skyline that avoids the "glass box" architecture a lot of other cities often have. The only boxy designs that made it past were the two office towers built in the 1970s for what is now Santander Bank and Textron.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:13 AM
The RI Webguy

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...oes-supporters

The proposal isn't over yet. They cleared a few hurdles in the past couple months, but they still need approval from the zoning board to construct a nearly 600 foot tower where only 100 feet is allowed.

And, of course, the NIMBYs have been balking at the idea.

Oh, and the development company surprised everyone with a vastly different rendering:

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:58 PM

PROVIDENCE | Hope Point Tower | 600 FT | 46 FLOORS

Possible new tower in Providence. Has been on simmer for a while and is a lot closer (still far to go) to being seen through than most of us thought.

http://www.gcpvd.org/2018/04/26/new-...-organization/

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

Wow. I guess Providence prefers QUALITY to QUANTITY when it comes to building skyscrapers, huh? That's a beauty that should elicit some jealousy/admiration from anyone on this board, even from NY and Chicago. I hope it gets built as the renders show.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:36 PM

Merged with the existing thread

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Meh. Looks like just another Miami condo tower. The older proposal looked like Rotterdam. I'd take Rotterdam any day. But that's just me. Lots of potential in Providence though. Kudos.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 3:17 PM

Lawmakers Approve Bill for Skyscraper Project to Proceed

Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island lawmakers have approved a bill that was needed for a skyscraper project to move forward.

The General Assembly passed legislation to alter the boundaries of a parcel within a redevelopment district in Providence. The land was made available in downtown Providence by the relocation of Interstate 195.

A New York developer has proposed building a 46-story high-rise tower on the land.

The reconfiguration is needed to accommodate the skyscraper on the designated parcel. The legislature says it would also allow for better positioning of the project.

Officials in Providence are evaluating the project.

The bill heads to the governor.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:55 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Meh. Looks like just another Miami condo tower. The older proposal looked like Rotterdam. I'd take Rotterdam any day. But that's just me. Lots of potential in Providence though. Kudos.
Yeah, I don't feel any envy as a NYC lover. As you said, this is copy paste design of recent modern designs. Doesn't mean it isn't a beauty, but it certainly won't break new grounds.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:18 PM

City Council president says residents don't want Hope Point Tower along Providence River

Quote:
New York developer wants to build a 600-foot skyscraper along the Providence River.

While the plan has been debated for a couple years, the city council president now thinks it’s not the right spot.

“Folks have to play by the rules,” Council President David Salvatore told NBC 10 News Monday.

Salvatore said the message is clear that residents are against the 46-story Hope Point Tower project proposed along the Providence River by New York developer Jason Fane.

Salvatore said his opposition is because the city’s comprehensive plan limits buildings in that area to 100 feet tall.

“I’m all for development, but I think we have to be really smart and thoughtful and responsible while doing it,” Salvatore said.

Salvatore instead suggested the $250 million high-rise could be built elsewhere in the city, like on Westminster Street, where a building was demolished for development years ago but the land has not been built on.

“I’m not opposed to a 600-foot tower. I do think it’s appropriate in other parts of our downtown,” Salvatore told NBC 10. “I want Mr. Fane to develop in the downtown district in Providence.”

A spokesman for Fane noted in a statement that the developer is disappointed in Salvatore’s announcement and that Fane is only interested in the one current site, “land that he spent considerable time, effort and resources in seeking to acquire through an open and rigorous process by the 195 Commission,” the statement read.

The city council is scheduled to vote on the Hope Point proposal September 6.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:10 PM

City Council sends Hope Point Tower proposal back to committee

Quote:
Providence City Council on Thursday night voted to send a variance request for the proposed Hope Point Tower back to the Ordinance Committee.

New York developer Jason Fane wants to build a 600-foot skyscraper on the Interstate 195 land. A city ordinance limits buildings in that area to 100 feet.

The Zoning Committee already voted against the proposal, but the council sent it back in order to allow Fane an opportunity to make his case.

Members of the council have suggested building in another part of the city, but Fane has said he is only interested in that one site.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Salvatore instead suggested the $250 million high-rise could be built elsewhere in the city, like on Westminster Street, where a building was demolished for development years ago but the land has not been built on
I wonder they're referring to the empty lot (across from Superman Building) turned parking lot with the demolished building's old facade still propped up? That's the only building I recall demolished around that area. I think at one time, PVD's tallest was to be built there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals