Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 10:20 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
What about 6 World Trade Center? That building was part of the original complex for almost 30 years and now they denied it???? This is so disappointing... The real reason for this is because 7 World Trade Center exists for 15 years and they leave 1 tower missing. That is like a hole between 5 and 7.
Ive always thought they ought to tear down the block at the corner of liberty and greenwich and build a 6wtc there. It would obviously be out of order with 1-5, but that wouldnt really matter given that 7wtc already breaks the order anyway. You could also incorporate the FDNY memorial wall into the structure, which would be neat

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:22 PM

Wouldn't 6 World Trade Center be a hotel specifically?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Ive always thought they ought to tear down the block at the corner of liberty and greenwich and build a 6wtc there. It would obviously be out of order with 1-5, but that wouldnt really matter given that 7wtc already breaks the order anyway. You could also incorporate the FDNY memorial wall into the structure, which would be neat
Regardless of what it's called and who builds it, that building will eventually be replaced with something better.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the block of Liberty and Greenwich is where the 9/11 Firehouse is located. That is sacred soil on par with the Vatican, the Kabbalah in Mecca, and the Western Wall. It isn't going anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 3:56 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the block of Liberty and Greenwich is where the 9/11 Firehouse is located. That is sacred soil on par with the Vatican, the Kabbalah in Mecca, and the Western Wall. It isn't going anywhere.
In theory, the whole block could be redeveloped into a skyscraper without touching (or at least without altering too much) the firehouse.. it could be fully incorporated into a new structure as is.. or something could cantilever over it

but yeah any proposal to remove the firehouse and/or the FDNY wall is definitely a no

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 6:21 PM

This is just so upsetting, this is not the site we were promised it all looks so half baked. Value engineering all over the place. Unfinished 1 and 3 WTC.2 hasn't even begun above ground construction in any meaningful way and Fosters design was really the most interesting tower of the set but who knows if that will happen or what value engineering will meet it. The BIG design is absolute trash completely breaks away from the angles of 1 WTC and makes it look out of place with the boxier, less angular Greenwich St. towers. 4 actually is the one one that's fully complete and is the one I'm happiest with because it came into fruition without cuts. its just sad, this new 5 WTC design is nice but its really just a 900ft. filler with no real relation to its namesake or the rest of the site. I cant wait till other towers come into the picture and dominate this disappointing ensemble of buildings.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:28 AM

The tower looks good. Build it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:41 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
This is just so upsetting, this is not the site we were promised it all looks so half baked. Value engineering all over the place. Unfinished 1 and 3 WTC.2 hasn't even begun above ground construction in any meaningful way and Fosters design was really the most interesting tower of the set but who knows if that will happen or what value engineering will meet it. The BIG design is absolute trash completely breaks away from the angles of 1 WTC and makes it look out of place with the boxier, less angular Greenwich St. towers. 4 actually is the one one that's fully complete and is the one I'm happiest with because it came into fruition without cuts. its just sad, this new 5 WTC design is nice but its really just a 900ft. filler with no real relation to its namesake or the rest of the site. I cant wait till other towers come into the picture and dominate this disappointing ensemble of buildings.
I partially (mostly) agree, 3WTC's height cut bothers me the least, it's still tall for the third tallest of the complex, what bothers me most is 1WTC's lack of a real spire and the fact that 2 and 5 aren't there yet after 20 years (and won't be for another 5+, if ever). If those three things happened the complex would be good enough, not spectacular but definitely solid.

Remember the original plans of lattice work towers topping 900-1K foot buildings? Now that was truly awful.

Luckily I think BIG's may not see the light of day and Foster's may get a revamp. I truly hope so.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:33 PM

I know 5 is a few years off but it would be truly a waste if we had to wait 5 more years for 2...I don't believe Larry Silverstein wants to wait any longer than absolutely necessary with him being 90 or so at that time. Hopefully 2 gets started up much more sooner than later.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:52 PM

With a new design hopefully the 2 designs we have now aren't good imho.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:37 AM

I personally like it (the staggered windows and roof tops, plus the base). However, it does stray a bit from the other WTC area buildings design-wise a bit. Which is not a bad thing.

A little bit off topic, but: I know the plan for the WTC buildings were always meant to have a "spiral effect" to the 1 WTC height. WTC 1 and 4 look good. But WTC 3 was stripped of its character from the original plan. Like many, I really hope they scrap BIG's (Big mess) design and go with Foster's original WTC 2 design. I swear every time I see the future master plan with BIG's design added, it reminds me of the old 80's video game Q*Bert. Lol Too many flat roofs.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 5:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i liked the big design for 2, but since murdoch backed out that wont be built as whoever goes there probably wont need those kinds of blocky floors for studios. we'll see what ends up there, but yeah larry better get a move on as best he can he aint getting any younger.

i really like this 5, its a nice stylish turn for the wtc site, while still being rather conservative looking. its a good fit and a little better than i expected even.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Crisper Renderings:

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 1:13 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.tribecatrib.com/content/o...-wtc-sites-use

Opinion: Don't let revenue dictate WTC Site's use

By Todd Fine

Quote:
Faced with public opposition to building a luxury residential tower on public land at the World Trade Center, Governor Andrew Cuomo has had only one response. His staffers say it is necessary to obtain significant revenue that would "compensate" the Port Authority for making the September 11 attack site a memorial rather than home of additional commercial towers.

Holly Leicht of the Empire State Development Corporation (ESD) told Community Board 1 on May 10 that "the Port did not have to abandon the footprint of the World Trade Center, and it did that by swapping it for this site."

After receiving more subsidies than anyone could ever tally, two opaque public entities—the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (a subsidiary of ESD) and Port Authority—have crafted a complex deal to “finance” the privatization of the Memorial by leasing another site to private developers. Although we still have no idea of how much revenue the 5 World Trade Center deal with Silverstein Properties and Brookfield Properties will produce, this notion of “compensation” is flawed.
Quote:
The Port Authority should not be said to have "lost" anything by facilitating the Memorial. No matter how it behaves, the Port Authority is a governmental entity, and it is subject to the societal and legislative consensus that the site be a memorial. Many Port Authority employees died on September 11, and it is in the entity’s interest to honor and remember them.

The Port Authority (as well as Silverstein) received many billions of dollars of state, city, and federal subsidies—in block grants, Liberty Bonds, tax exemptions, rent subsidies, and lease guarantees—for the new towers and the PATH station, some of the most expensive and, let's be charitable, curiously-managed construction projects in world history. It is disturbing to insist on maximum revenue from Site 5 (purchased with federal funds), thereby deterring affordable housing proposals from being tendered.

In its implementation of a 2006 non-binding agreement with LMDC, the Port Authority is voluntarily and unnecessarily giving "fee interest" ownership of land to the Memorial nonprofit and Performing Arts Center. These arrangements could easily be one-dollar, 99-year leases, with no public opposition.

The deal as structured also seems to belie the idea that the goal is maximum compensation. The Site 5 RFP in June 2019 stated that the selection of a residential bid would legally require a sale of the property, which could more easily be construed as one-off compensation, rather than a lease. With the decision to pursue a complicated passthrough lease administered by Empire State Development, the “compensation” claim is less reasonable.

If the Governor and the Port Authority want to continue stating that they need a “magic number” of compensation, they should put up or shut up. Tell the public what they expect for the September 11 Memorial, so that this can be addressed without every decision involving public land at the World Trade Center prioritizing private interests. The public is tired of hearing of how one private giveaway is necessary to "finance" another.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 1:15 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Nice.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.thecity.nyc/platform/amp...-housing-fight

World Trade Center’s First Residential Tower Sparks Affordable-Housing Fight

By Rachel Holliday Smith
July 20, 2021

Quote:
Two decades after Sept. 11, 2001, the last re-building block of the World Trade Center is coming together.

A proposal for a 900-foot residential skyscraper on “Site 5”, formerly home to the Deutsche Bank Building, is in the works. It will include 1,325 apartments, a quarter of which will be so-called affordable, or rented below market rate.

But as the 20th anniversary of the attacks arrives, some locals are pushing for something different: Why not make the building a place where survivors and their families can live, with all of the units set at income-adjusted, affordable rents?
Quote:
To Mariama James, a longtime downtown resident who said she struggles with 9/11-related health issues and lost her father to a related cancer, taking that course is the right thing to do.

It would represent a recognition of the residents who made Lower Manhattan a “phenomenal” place to live after the attacks, she said.

“It’s the people who were asked to stay here, not to leave, and to live, basically, through a war zone — to move here in the aftermath of that, or to return to their homes that had been destroyed, and rebuild them. We did it. You asked, and we did it,” she said. “And there’s been no compensation for that. There’s been no thanks.”
Quote:
James is a co-founder of a new coalition of Lower Manhattan residents and housing advocates rallying to push multiple public agencies and two mega-developers, Brookfield Properties and Silverstein Properties, to change course on the Site 5 plan.

The building is set to be the first residential property within the downtown complex, and the last major site to be redeveloped there since the 2001 attacks.
Quote:
The current plan for the site calls for about 995 market-rate apartments and 330 affordable-housing units, also known as income-restricted apartments because they are rented to families within specific household earning categories.

The affordable units will be reserved for families making up to 50% of the area median income. With a local AMI of $107,400, a three-person family making only about $53,000 annually could secure a spot in the tower.

Will Burns, a spokesperson for Empire State Development — which oversees the Site 5 development proposal through its subsidiary, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation — described the newly planned building as delivering “the largest number of affordable apartments built in Lower Manhattan in decades.”

The proposed mixed-use tower also includes 12,000 square feet of community space, 55,000 square feet for public amenities, Burns noted.
Quote:
But it’s not enough to those organizing as The Coalition for an Affordable World Trade Center Tower Five.

“It’s like saying, ‘Isn’t this nice? Three-hundred units of potential affordable housing?’ No! We’re more than 300 people,” said Taylor Banning, a 28-year-old member of the coalition who was born in Battery Park City’s Gateway Plaza and has lived in the neighborhood for most of her life.

“It’s a wealthy neighborhood, for sure. I recognize that. But a lot of the families who have been here since 9/11 are not all wealthy. They have jobs. They’re trying to sustain themselves,” Banning said. “At a certain point, those people who stuck it out are slowly getting boxed out. The young people can’t come back.”
Quote:
The group’s main goals are to see a 5 WTC building that is 100% affordable housing, and to give a preference for some of those units to 9/11 survivors and their families — similar to how city-run housing lotteries often give an edge to applicants from the neighborhood or to public employees.

But those aims are going to be a tough sell for a project that’s been in the works for years — and aims to use the development as a way to raise funds for several big-ticket items within the WTC complex.

Whenever Site 5 is built, the proceeds will go to the Port Authority as repayment for a land swap that allowed for the building of the Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum as well as a performing arts center, under construction now, on land controlled by the Authority.
Quote:
Upping the amount of affordable apartments in the Site 5 building would require an infusion of public money to make up the difference between the below-market rents and the cost of building and maintaining each apartment. Without it, Brookfield and Silvestein — or any developer — may decide it’s not worth moving forward with the construction.

Which public entity would take responsibility for that effort is unclear. Site 5 is under the jurisdiction of the LMDC and Port Authority, but the city’s affordable housing department as well as the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development are also involved.

Between the city, state and federal governments — plus the bi-state Port Authority — Fine, a Lower Manhattan historian and member of the coalition, sees an opportunity.

“We have these four different entities. Any one of them could change their mind,” he said.
Quote:
Even in its current state, the Site 5 project has a long road ahead before any construction can begin. Greene, of the Port Authority, said a finalized lease deal is expected by the end of summer. That agreement with Brookfield and Silverstein needs a number of approvals from the LMDC, Port Authority and ESD.

On top of that, since the original WTC General Project Plan, or GPP, from the LMDC calls for Site 5 to become a commercial development, building residential there requires a project plan modification.

Changing the GPP would require approval from the LMDC board and the state’s Public Authorities Control Board as well as review from the Attorney General’s office and state comptroller. It will also go through a new environmental review.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

"Why not make the building a place where survivors and their families can live, with all of the units set at income-adjusted, affordable rents?"
That is a very interesting and, frankly, disturbing thought. How many survivors or their families lived across the street from the WTC? Would they even want to live there, having to look at the memorial site every day? I'm all for affordable housing, in particular in that area of the city. It's just presumptuous to assume that the families of people that were in the building that day and the first responders lived there or would want to move there. They came from all over the metro area. Did anyone ask the survivors if they want to move?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:41 PM

The so-called affordable housing only drives overall prices up in the city, lowering quality of life across the city.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:06 PM
New Yorker for life

If they’re going go build that many units, there’s bound to be some affordable housing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 5:49 AM
New Yorker for life

https://maloney.house.gov/media-cent...d-trade-center

Rep. Maloney Calls on Governor Hochul to Designate World Trade Center Tower 5 Apartments 100% Affordable

Aug 31, 2021

Quote:
Yesterday, Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12) called on New York State Governor Kathy Hochul to support the Coalition For a 100% Affordable World Trade Center Tower 5 (5WTC) proposal to designate all apartments in the complex affordable with a preference for 9/11 survivors and responders.

As she writes in her letter to Governor Hochul, “While I applaud the current plan to develop 5WTC as primarily a residential tower, there is a great community need for additional affordable housing. The neighborhood is already saturated with luxury housing, and much of this housing stock is currently vacant, including in buildings in the immediate vicinity of 5WTC. New Yorkers are in dire need of affordable housing, including deeply affordable and housing for low to moderate income individuals and families.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals