HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:52 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Meh, not feeling it. Another contemporary wart on a modernist masterpiece.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
I don't remember reading about this before.

Work to start on C.H. Robinson’s new SOM-designed riverfront HQ - Curbed

I posted about the building permit on Saturday or Sunday - on purpose a day or two after just to make sure Curbed was still reading these forums

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:43 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
meeeeeow! lighten up. I mean excuuuuuuuse me if I think this sounds like Dearborn Park
I'm tied of people making uniformed comments because idiocy is a real problem in this country right now, and throwing the blame back at me is just another sign of that. Civilization is crumbling because to few people care about accuracy and truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Dearborn Park is designed to restrict ALL access and has virtually no commercial space. Superblocks are designed to increase pedestrian and non-vehicular traffic and enhance commercial space. The differences are night and day.
Exactly

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm tied of people making uniformed comments because idiocy is a real problem in this country right now, and throwing the blame back at me is just another sign of that. Civilization is crumbling because to few people care about accuracy and truth.
I wasn't blaming you for my failing to read the rest of the comments. I was attempting to, in a lighthearted way, suggest that you're overreacting to it. As you might be able to imagine even forumers that have been around for a while sometimes forget to read the rest of the comments before responding. It's not going to be the end of civilization.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 1:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I wasn't blaming you for my failing to read the rest of the comments. I was attempting to, in a lighthearted way, suggest that you're overreacting to it. As you might be able to imagine even forumers that have been around for a while sometimes forget to read the rest of the comments before responding. It's not going to be the end of civilization.
I did overreact. I've been feeling poorly and it makes my judgement not what it should be. I'm sorry

Last edited by emathias; Feb 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Meh, not feeling it. Another contemporary wart on a modernist masterpiece.
I agree. Why do they have to tear apart the Wacker side too? Is this building not protected by historic preservations at all? I feel like I know the answer, I just find it surprising. Such an iconic building for them to try to throw lipstick on. Whatever happened to that cool ovular hotel tower they wanted to throw up next to it?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:06 PM

I got a presentation on this a few months ago so plans might have altered slightly but some of the retailers they said were coming would make it really cool. My only concern was that it would become too gimmicky. The most impactful part of the project IMO was that they want to bring a full scale grocery store to the building, I really hope that is still part of the plan.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
I agree. Why do they have to tear apart the Wacker side too? Is this building not protected by historic preservations at all? I feel like I know the answer, I just find it surprising. Such an iconic building for them to try to throw lipstick on. Whatever happened to that cool ovular hotel tower they wanted to throw up next to it?
Have to disagree... Sears, ironically, was first raped by Mr. Bruce Graham himself when they added the ridiculous 'lunch box' addition on Wacker... while doing this, they changed the entry sequence from Wacker, which took you up a level to taking you down a level and if you needed to ride the upper floor of the 2 deck elevators, you had to take an escalator up... (the eastern entry on Franklin has always been on the lower level)

anyway, it appears that they are restoring the original entry configuration, and with a glass ceiling, restoring the ability to stand at the base of the western elevation and look straight up the 110 stories (which was impossible to do anymore when they added the 'lunch box')...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:54 PM

So that's a new addition they're planning to add to the base of Sears? I have to admit relief, it looks better close-up than it did on the TV screen at the gym. I thought they were ripping open the sides of the building itself, hollowing out a huge open lobby like all the modern towers. So it could be worse...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:22 PM
Closed account

Is the city's plan to eventually connect the independent riverwalks under the bridges? The block south of this would be the new 110 N Wacker with it's own riverwalk.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I really like the proposed updates for the Willie tower base. I feel like that entire block desperately needs lively retail/restaurant/bar spaces to add some variety to an otherwise boring and monolithic stretch along both Jackson and Wacker. That corner just seems like too much of a dead zone, considering that most other parts of the Loop proper are becoming more and more resident-centric and not solely 9-5 commuter-ish.

A bit off-topic, but has anyone else noticed the extensive work being done on the North entrance/plaza of the office building/Union station east entrance, that's bordered by Jackson/Canal and Adams? I noticed it last week while visiting a client in the CME building, but wasn't able to take pictures from that location

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
I don't remember reading about this before.

Work to start on C.H. Robinson’s new SOM-designed riverfront HQ - Curbed

Looks like the design has been updated into something slightly more sophisticated than a plain jane box.

via Curbed

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

More images from Kamin's article today - gotta say, I really like the overall aesthetic and how it surrounds the existing, dead-space base:

All images from the link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...131-story.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:56 PM
Plenary pleasures.

That looks great!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:03 PM
Urbane observer

^Mere fashion masquerading as design. Just because it's better than the original sterile plaza doesn't mean it's good.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

If you have a better idea of what you believe constitutes good design, we are all waiting with bated breath...for years now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:30 PM

like everything, will come down to materials and execution. could be solid if they dont botch it. its got a nice little prairie influence going. im still a little skeptical it will be as transparent as theyre implying. but better than the original design for sure

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
If you have a better idea of what you believe constitutes good design, we are all waiting with bated breath...for years now.
He was always fond of this:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-56fbf920/t...g-met-20160329

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:49 PM
Plenary pleasures.

What appeals to me most about the Sears/Willis design is the fact that it's turning a previously sterile exterior into a lively, dynamic, and varied space with lots of different areas for engagement, and also while making it literally, much greener and inviting...at the same time still respecting the existing exterior facade, which makes me happy when I see this:

Because it shows that Gensler is not desecrating the original building design - proposing to turn the entire existing base into part of the interior courtyard is pretty clever and allows for so much more space to be built around the entire perimeter, as shown in the renderings.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:53 PM

Regarding the Willis lobby renovation ... I used to work in the building (until just a few weeks ago) and the news going around was that the lobby would be getting rid of all the chrome. If you've been in there recently, I'm sure you know what I'm referring to. I never saw the original lobby but was told it consisted of the same black as the exterior of the building, and that the chrome was brought in to lighten it up. No idea how accurate any of that is but would love to learn more about the original lobby if anyone has photos or details.

Anyway, from the renderings, there seems to be much less/no chrome and the return of the dark/black exposed steel, which I like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development