HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 10:39 AM

Gotta love some of these real estate drone shots. Here is Cobourg Beach from above.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 3:16 AM

High of only 18 with a stiff breeze on the waterfront up in Tiny Township. Still a few people ventured into the water. At least the sun was out. Explored a few small beaches I hadn't been to before despite going up this way for 15 years. My inlaws haven't been to almost all these spots either and they built the cottage in 1972. Furthest spot being a 20 minute drive away, but actually on the way to the cottage.

Despite all these places being with a few kms along the coast, you can really notice the differences in terms of sand granularity and colour, volume of rocks/seashells on the beach or in the water, vegetation, number or sandbars, etc.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 6:28 AM

Nice pictures! I can feel the cool fall breeze in some of those pictures, especially with those clouds.

A couple of those spots with the windswept dunes look like western Michigan, or even like Cape Cod for an instant.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 1:17 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, the dunes are not on the level of say Sandbanks in Eastern Ontario, but still a nice feature. I haven't been to the beaches on Lake Michigan so can't compare, but walking on the boardwalk, my wife and I both were reminded of Myrtle Beach. I have been to beaches in MA, RI and ME, but that was three decades ago.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 2:10 AM

At a kids birthday party today was talking to a neighbour who used to act in YTV/Nickolodeon shows and such and whose wife still does theatre for a living. He mentioned she recently did theatre in Port Hope and we got to discussing Cobourg as well. He talked about how big and great the beach is. He said a bunch of family did an air bnb for a few days half hour north of Cobourg and they actually spend most the time going to the beach in Cobourg.

Anyway, the area I go to on Georgian Bay is down 4 inches since we last went 11 days ago. Not sure why but so many more sandbars now.

And also saw a sturgeon for the first time washed up on a sandbar at Allenwood Beach in Wasaga. Only saw one before at Ripley's Aquarium and possibly Bass Pro Shops. Still haven't seen a burbot or bowfin but both are in the Great Lakes and related watershed. BIL and cousin have caught bowfin before and they can be caught around the Toronto Islands. I have however seen a gar pike in the Etobicoke Creek in Mississauga right under the foot bridge. Made one cast at it but then it disappeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbot...Walchensee.jpg

https://bearsdenlodge.com/why-is-the-bowfin-green/

https://northernontario.travel/fishi...ne-bucket-list

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 2:49 AM

As mentioned, beaches are always changing. First time this year at Burlington Beach and looks like the water receded recently and left a layer of mud for some reason. Mud that was so unappealing that most people avoided going in the water, even though it's very inviting given that it was warm today, it's shallow and water is warm.

And I hadn't noticed seashells there before. Just like on Georgian Bay, where this year there's an abundance. But these ones in Burlington are smaller than the ones up there.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 5:45 AM

Burlington Beach looks like a nice place to swim, despite the City of Hamilton dumping 396 million litres of raw sewage into the lake the past 26 years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada