HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:36 PM

The roundhouse is prime for redevelopment and I don’t think they need to keep the structure there to do so. It is very iconic, but it has too many negative connotations for some people and the layout is really bad IMO. It would probably be best as an amenity space/retail/community space to an accompanying building if it were to incorporated into the final design. The lots around race-vine and Franklin Sq desperately need to be redeveloped to if there is any hope to add transit usage at these stations.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Advances At Northbank At 2001 Beach Street in Fishtown/Olde Richmond/Waterfront District/Whatever

Project renderings:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/cons...ensington.html

This is very dense for a suburban housing development!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Thoughts?
I say tear it down and replace with a residential / hotel component. It's a huge site and a desirable and convenient location for future residents and tourists.

What should Philly do with the Roundhouse? No, seriously, the city is asking for your help.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220807.html
Not getting into another discussion about whether it should be torn down (it shouldn't), but I think having it house the Equal Justice Center would be perfect.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
racist
allovertown started it!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Not getting into another discussion about whether it should be torn down (it shouldn't), but I think having it house the Equal Justice Center would be perfect.
That's what I recommended in the survey. Just demolishing the past because of negative connotations does nothing to move forward. If it could get reimagined as a hub for justice services that would be the best outcome imo

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Some people want it to be landmarked. There’s a weird fetish for brutalist architecture lately lol
Yeah, the whole "back to the Seventies" thing seems to be happening on many fronts. I was there. I'm not particularly interested in going back.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think the best case for the roundhouse is definitely for at least the front 2/3 of it to be preserved and it serves as the front of a residential/hotel skyscraper. Unfortunately I don't think odds are too great for a best case scenario. I would imagine rehabbing the round house would be an very expensive undertaking and crafting a design that makes it all work and not look terrible also won't be cheap. I don't think the potential returns at this location would be strong enough to justify such a cost.

Maybe if Philly and penndot fixed the terrible mess that is the roadways in this immediate area it might make the area attractive enough to encourage a worthwhile development here and the massive parking lot to the Northwest.

This whole area is just a nightmare for pedestrians and cyclists. I don't think it would be THAT expensive or complicated to rework this area. The biggest problem is that some streets here are basically used as defacto highways, and everything is designed with the driver in mind, with big swooping ramps and interchanges so that drivers can go as fast as possible through here. Look at this map:

Red: This is the biggest problem with the area. So many drivers get off 676 then down 6th to get on the BFB. Instead of the ramp here coming down to street level, it should remain at the same grade as 676 and run directly beside 676 and right onto the BFB. All that traffic stays off the streets. The only downside is a wider overpass that peds have to walk under when going down 6th or 7th, but it's already a wide overpass, what's another 20 feet? Both should have a beautified pedestrian experience anyway. Also drivers will no longer be able to get off 676 and head straight down 6th street, which currently a lot of drivers do. But who cares, just get off one exit sooner and go south on 8th or stay on 676 to go south on 95. These minor inconveniences are more than worth it to keep all of this speeding traffic off the roads.

Green: Rather than these twisty highway ramps, just have vine street continue straight ahead 9th street and have the exit from 676 merge onto vine right after 9th street. The area to the North of this new vine street is now developable land. Also with the 676 to BFB exit reworked into overpass, there's now room for Vine street to continue even past 7th street and once again run along the north side of Franklin square. The walkway to the north of Franklin square becomes the southern sidewalk of this new stretch of vine and while not a ton of a room, I think there'd be room for some developable land on the north side of this new street.

Blue: There's just no need for drivers heading onto the BFB from Race to have this curved onramp. Just have them continue down Race and turn left onto the same ramp that drivers going up 5th drive onto. Make this ramp a couple of lanes wider to accommodate the new traffic. With all the changes that have been made, the approach to the BFB that currently houses the barren plaza that contains the kite sculpture is in much different shape. We lose land to the North with the new onramp from 676 and to the east with the widened onramp to accommodate race street traffic onto the 5th street ramp. But you also gain a lot of land to the southwest. Ultimately it's a much better public space because instead of being bisected by multiple onramps that you have walk past to access it, you just have the one onramp on its edge at 5th street and because of the significant decrease in traffic traveling around it.

Yellow: 5th street is a major bike lane and yet has anyone here ridden through the the 5th street tunnel? it's terrible. Cramped in this tiny dingy tunnel with cars flying down right beside you. Most cars heading north past the BFB avoid 5th anyway, there's really no need for cars to travel through this tunnel when they can easily take 3rd or 7th. Make the tunnel for cyclists and peds only and punch through the ceiling of the tunnel to open this up to natural light where possible.

Orange: If you want to go north on 7th off of Race, there's just no need for this dedicated street section to make it happen. Have cars keep heading east turn left right where everyone coming up 7th from the south drives.

black: these are all the streets and ramps that would be removed. I'd also liberally cut lanes around here, two on this section of 6th, at least one on this section of Race. Maybe a few other here and there.

If you do this, not only does it direct a ton of traffic off of these streets but it also greatly reduces all the breaks in the sidwalk around here. Plus in creates some developable land that could be sold to fund parts of this project and once developed would further improve the pedestrian experience here.

If something like this doesn't happen, I don't think there's any chance the roundhouse gets incorporated into a quality development here, or that we'd even get a quality development period.
Nice! The only thing you might want to add is a way to handle traffic fro 95->676 eastbound. That's another one that just dumps everyone into the street grid just for them to get back on the highway. I think someone said the original plan included a flyover that was never built. I think a short tunnel might work better, similar to how the 76/676 interchange works. But just those changes you highlighted would help a ton.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Excellent thoughts. Looking at that diagonal at the southwest corner of Franklin Square, I think it would be better to keep the perpendicular street and reunite the orphan triangle with the park. That could be done by putting a diagonal connection through the current roundhouse site (there is no way to save that monster) OR rerouting 7th Street through even more of the roundhouse block. My one big concern about "Franklin Square Garden" arena or an other redevelopment is the Federal Reserve Banks screening area. Moving part of 7th further west in that block would give them the space to keep or reconfigure/reconstruct that facility. Maybe the diagonal should be just beyond the AA Museum (although I'd much rather that relocated to a nicer building and/or location).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:47 PM
Chris

Sad end for St. Laurentius.

The demolition of St. Laurentius could start this week with the dismantling of its skyline-defining spires

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220809.html

The teardown of the soaring twin church spires that define Fishtown’s skyline could start as early as Wednesday, the culmination of years of efforts to both preserve and demolish St. Laurentius, the neighborhood landmark and 19th-century former church.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:

The demolition of St. Laurentius could start this week with the dismantling of its skyline-defining spires

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220809.html

The teardown of the soaring twin church spires that define Fishtown’s skyline could start as early as Wednesday, the culmination of years of efforts to both preserve and demolish St. Laurentius, the neighborhood landmark and 19th-century former church.
This all could've been avoided.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I hope the shitbags that blocked the rental conversion see the lessons in this. Somehow I doubt they will.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:59 PM

I just heard a rumour that the Frank Furness-designed Shiloh baptist church was sold in graduate hospital. Hopefully that gets reused and doesn't meet the same fate.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The neighbor's blocking and suing over the initial conversion IS the story, but of course it was reduced to a single sentence 3/4th's of the way through the article.

Like no shit, the sub title under the main headline is bordering on a lie IMO:
Quote:
The scheduled demolition is the culmination of years of efforts by a developer to tear down the church and by neighbors to save it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
I hope the shitbags that blocked the rental conversion see the lessons in this. Somehow I doubt they will.
I guarantee the folks who blocked it now live in Deptford NJ.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:

Heartbreaking.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 11:52 PM

Have to say I’m more surprised by this development than a Gucci on Walnut right now. This is pretty far up there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChDj27SJ...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Hahaha. So true.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:05 PM

Otherworld, an immersive entertainment venue, takes space in Northeast Philadelphia

Quote:
Otherworld, an immersive art experience, has leased 40,000 square feet in Northeast Philadelphia and plans to open its first new venue outside of its base in Columbus, Ohio.

Otherworld signed a 10-year lease at 2500 Grant Ave. and expects to spend around $10 million fitting out the space. It anticipates having 50 full- and part-time employees on site once it's fully operational.

Otherworld first opened in Columbus in 2019 in 32,000 square feet. There, it outfitted 40 rooms with “large-scale interactive art, mixed reality playgrounds and secret passageways.”

It sought to expand to the East Coast, selecting Philadelphia as a base to serve a good portion of the Northeast and its strong arts and music scene, said Jordan Renda, founder of Otherworld and creative director. In Columbus, it is able to draw from an expansive region with many visitors coming from at least an hour away, he said. Renda expects the Philadelphia location, just off I-95, to have a similar geographic pull.

Similar to Impact Museums, Otherworld sought out a space with expansive ceiling heights and found the Grant Avenue space has upwards of 20-foot ceilings to accommodate its exhibits. The Philadelphia Otherworld will have 55 rooms, each with its own “out-of-this-world” experience that includes holograms, music, iridescent creatures, primordial monsters, tubes that can be crawled into, and lots of light.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:16 PM
Chris

After being hammered by the pandemic, Aramark sees revenue surpass 2019 levels

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...pass-2019.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development