HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 2:37 AM

I've never heard a positive thing about Vancouver. Which is ok but why live there then why not move back to where it's deemed better?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:17 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Guess I got lucky I didn't get pulled over when I drove through a few weeks ago! (seems the cross-country drive is a popular trip this summer)

Well, spoke too soon! Just got some mail from the Moose Jaw police service photo speed enforcement, and it came with a $600 (!) ticket for getting caught by a camera.

As I have an out-of-province license & plates, and no intention of being back in Saskatchewan at any point in the foreseeable future, what's the worst that can happen if I don't pay? Anyone know?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:36 AM
recession proof

^Yeah I was shocked by how many red light and speed cameras are in the West vs Ontario. Vancouver practically every intersection has a camera yikes. I was a very cautious driver there and through Calgary, Edmonton etc. I had a few uh-oh moments, still wondering if I got caught or a lucky break.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:08 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Well, spoke too soon! Just got some mail from the Moose Jaw police service photo speed enforcement, and it came with a $600 (!) ticket for getting caught by a camera.
So...was it a school zone, construction zone, or passing emergency vehicles?

Anyway, supposedly:

Quote:
A conviction for speeding based on photo speed enforcement will not appear on your driver's abstract and you won't get any demerit points under the Safe Driver Recognition or Driver improvement programs.
Quote:
As I have an out-of-province license & plates, and no intention of being back in Saskatchewan at any point in the foreseeable future, what's the worst that can happen if I don't pay? Anyone know?
I'm assuming it can affect your auto insurance but i'm merely guessing. A friend of mine played this game with US speeding tickets once and they sent him some stern mail saying he couldn't enter the country until he paid those fines.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^Yeah I was shocked by how many red light and speed cameras are in the West vs Ontario. Vancouver practically every intersection has a camera yikes. I was a very cautious driver there and through Calgary, Edmonton etc. I had a few uh-oh moments, still wondering if I got caught or a lucky break.
There are a lot in Vancouver, but not really every intersection - but yes, don't speed through major intersections here.
Here's a map, and they've probably added a few more - the strange thing is that there aren't any on the west side, none west of Granville.

https://s.realtyninja.com/static/med...Untitled_2.png
source

The last time I got a speeding ticket it was in Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:21 PM

Out of province speeding tickets for Ontarians:

https://www.onlia.ca/magazine/blogs/...other-province

I avoid speeding when in unfamiliar places. In Winnipeg I generally know where all the red light cams, speed traps and school zones (i.e. photo radar spots) are, and I reflexively slow down for those. I'm not so sure in other places.

Where in MJ did you get the photo radar ticket, MonkeyRonin? I didn't even know that Moose Jaw had photo radar, and I've been there twice in the last year.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:09 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Out of province speeding tickets for Ontarians:

https://www.onlia.ca/magazine/blogs/...other-province

I avoid speeding when in unfamiliar places. In Winnipeg I generally know where all the red light cams, speed traps and school zones (i.e. photo radar spots) are, and I reflexively slow down for those. I'm not so sure in other places.

Where in MJ did you get the photo radar ticket, MonkeyRonin? I didn't even know that Moose Jaw had photo radar, and I've been there twice in the last year.

It was on the TCH at 9th Ave heading west out of the city. I google mapped it and it appears to be more-or-less right at the point where the speed limit drops from 100 to 80kph. That's just a cheap shot.

Unfortunately, looks like I'm going to have to pay here. I've gotten dinged once before by photo radar in Quebec a few years ago, but that fine was only a hundred bucks or so. Thanks for the input.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:18 PM

^ Ohhh right, the one on the highway, now I remember.

They warn you about it coming up! https://goo.gl/maps/x6nuiqFXc3k2wMPQ8

Twice! https://goo.gl/maps/BVT4ib2ont96brSg8

And there's the little bastard. https://goo.gl/maps/Qq9RTKaCuEjFZHaf7

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:31 PM
recession proof

^I couldn't help but laugh whenever I saw those "important intersection" signs, thinking about how they marketed One Bloor East & West as Canada's "most important intersection."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:

They got me there as well, but mine was $200.00.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^I couldn't help but laugh whenever I saw those "important intersection" signs, thinking about how they marketed One Bloor East & West as Canada's "most important intersection."
I'm going back to Hali for a few weeks . I miss Nova Scotia so much - I need my fix!

Hilarious Toronto fixation on how great they think they are - nobody has ever heard of this intersection but if they ever go there - 'Wtf? this intersection sucks!'

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:59 PM
ハルウララ

It's a good thing Toronto is able to stay in people's heads rent-free given our current housing crisis.

Bloor-Yonge isn't exactly 5th & 6th in Medicine Hat or something.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
-Pearson Airport was as busy as I've ever seen it but everything functioned smoothly, no problems at all. My checked bag even made it too. T1 is starting to show signs of strain, though... as compared to when it first opened and it felt so big and roomy, now it feels cramped and kind of grimy.
I'm back in Canada for the first time since Covid and this tracks. The chaos at Pearson is wildly overstated, but the place seemed disorganized, rundown, and dirty.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I'm back in Canada for the first time since Covid and this tracks. The chaos at Pearson is wildly overstated, but the place seemed disorganized, rundown, and dirty.
Welcome back!

To expand on your comment, the most common, yet easily fixable problems I note with Canadian airports are as follows:

-lack of tables to sit down and eat. Forcing people to do it at the gate means you get empty cups and wrappers strewn about, and frankly it just sucks trying to eat in such an undignified way. Airports should at least provide a mall food court type setup so people can eat at a table instead of at their knees.

-seriously inadequate washrooms. Every flight people get right off the plane and go straight to the washroom. Yet even in major airports you have men's rooms with a measly two stalls and two urinals like it's some quiet insurance agency. I'm looking at you, Trudeau Airport. Airport washrooms should be built like the ones in hockey arenas, absolute minimum 5 urinals and 5 stalls (preferably double that) or GTFO.

-gate areas with inadequate seating. Older airports get a pass but newer ones don't. Winnipeg admittedly sucks for this. There should be enough room at each gate so you don't have to sit two gates down and miss boarding announcements.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:11 PM

Thanks!

I have to admit, I liked all the water fountains in Pearson. They don't do that so much in Europe--the big bottled water lobby will never give up their 3.50 Euro cash cows.

Your first point is right on. European airports tend to have large, centralized shopping and food areas. They aren't worried about making people travel out to gates without much nearby. I hadn't thought about the impact that has on garbage getting around.

European airports don't do a lot of fast food either. Nothing like A&W and Rims for creating a lot of unnecessary, bulky litter.

Trash aside, Pearson looked like it could use more janitors. Lots of dust bunnies and sticky handprints everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Trash aside, Pearson looked like it could use more janitors. Lots of dust bunnies and sticky handprints everywhere.
Pearson T1 has never look dirtier than it does now. A possible effect of labour shortages?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:14 PM
ハルウララ

I didn't notice anything dirty or grimy on my last trip to Pearson. I'll be more attentive the next time i'm there.

I will say that it was a bit busy but not overwhelmingly so, to echo what's been said here already. With travel these days I think people need to expect a little delay with baggage or deplaning, but people travelling and expecting expediency at all levels are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Based on what i've heard from friends it sounds like some European airports are having a more difficult time of things (Heathrow and Schiphol in particular) compared to Pearson when it comes to long lines for security, luggage, etc.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:17 PM

^ I think part of it has to be that my memory is clouded by recollections of when T1 opened in 2004... it was new and palatial, and overbuilt at the time in the sense that it was built with room to grow, which was a sensible design choice. So I remember when it was gleaming and not that crowded. These days it feels more like a busy bus terminal.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:22 PM

^^
When I ripped through in July it seemed tired. Electrical outlets not working and no outlets or charging stations at all (the gates that I was at anyway). But I'll give it a pass being a big airport and all, changes and updates take more time the busier the airport is.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:16 PM

Pearson's security setup is also pretty dated. European security lines have automated boarding pass checks and full body scanners. I was surprised that Pearson has neither.

Quote:
^ I think part of it has to be that my memory is clouded by recollections of when T1 opened in 2004... it was new and palatial, and overbuilt at the time in the sense that it was built with room to grow, which was a sensible design choice. So I remember when it was gleaming and not that crowded. These days it feels more like a busy bus terminal.
Hah, yeah. And they had all those cool art installations. I don't even know where those were, looking at T1 now.

JHikka is right, though; European airports are having problems. I avoided London and Amsterdam on this trip and I'm glad I did. I've done some trips between BER and Copenhagen this summer and both have big sections of their baggage areas cordoned off for mishandled luggage. Pearson has a similar issue but it's not as neat--bags are just kind of piled between carousels and heaped against walls. It adds to the impression that the place is messy.

I can imagine that London's airports are Idiocracy-style dumps right now, just with teetering piles of luggage instead of garbage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada