HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 2:44 AM

Someone was brave enough to walk around in the heat to get this amazing tour of Downtown.

https://youtu.be/AYATvlrVFEs

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:34 PM

Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Someone was brave enough to walk around in the heat to get this amazing tour of Downtown.

https://youtu.be/AYATvlrVFEs
Thanks for enduring the heat and taking that great video. Much appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:12 PM

^ great video thanks for sharing! hope it was in the morning :-)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:31 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Wasn't me that filmed it, I'm not that crazy to be out and about in the summer!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:02 PM

They should have waited for 6 months, between summer and corona downtown is 2005 levels of dead.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
20:36 mark

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
20:36 mark
I keep looking at the mark, am i missing something?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 7:38 PM

I assume he's talking about the scooter and bicyclist. Who cares?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:08 PM

Man...the 5th largest city in the USA! Metro - 5 million. DEAD. Deserted!! Ground zero at Central and Adam - I saw (1) one businessman on the sidewalk. I realize that it is 150 degrees in the shade down there - but, still, late afternoon (could tell by the sun coming from the west)...there were two or three real dredgy people wandering - but, not really even any vehicular traffic.

I hope they can keep the momentum of investing in the growth of downtown Phoenix. I think part of the problem - when great American cities back "in the day" were big - they had a great inner core - Detroit had 2 million within its city limits in 1950... Now, 650,000!!! Phoenix had 105,000 in 1950...and not much else - as far a suburbs. Scottsdale had maybe, 2,000. Just when Phoenix started taking off and growing - in the 60's - and they built the three tall towers downtown in the early 70's ...businesses and people were moving away from what core Phoenix had - which wasn't much. There wasn't much to begin with as far as a downtown goes - then, as Phoenix grows: it's - midtown ...uptown...24th and Camelback...Scottsdale, etc. Downtown stagnated until just fairly recently. Hope the momentum can continue. The schools are committed....government is ...need to have the business community and people (middle class and up) wanting to live down there - to make it succeed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:11 PM
Skyriser

^ ... it's almost like the notion of a pandemic during 105 degree heat is entirely lost on you.

Are you just trolling at this point?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ ... it's almost like the notion of a pandemic during 100 degree heat before much of anything is even open for takeout is entirely lost on you.

Are you just trolling at this point?
Why haven't you banned this troll yet? Or at least read-only for a while?

And only middle class and up people are allowed to live in downtown? Wtf is wrong with this guy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I assume he's talking about the scooter and bicyclist. Who cares?
Just pointing out the bicyclists crossing against the red and a scooter with 2 riders turning off the sidewalk into the wrong direction almost hitting said bicyclists that in turn appears to come close to hitting a red car that passes by about 2 seconds after scooter gets back on sidewalk.

I just thought I would point it out as a "yeee" moment and found it humorous.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:17 PM
Skyriser

Having a contrary opinion is one thing, but this post is just totally misinformed or willfully ignorant, neither of which I find tolerable.

Maybe he'll start to pick up on this.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Just pointing out the bicyclists crossing against the red and a scooter with 2 riders turning off the sidewalk into the wrong direction almost hitting said bicyclists that in turn appears to come close to hitting a red car that passes by about 2 seconds after scooter gets back on sidewalk.

I just thought I would point it out as a "yeee" moment and found it humorous.
I'm honestly just impressed you were able to watch twenty some odd minutes of that video.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'm honestly just impressed you were able to watch twenty some odd minutes of that video.
Why would I not watch it if it was posted? It's actually 1 hour of video. If I didn't know better I would say I posted the video since the route is very simlilar to my lunch walks (until it got to hot out).

Also, I would like to note that this video is at least probably 3 weeks old. The Los Suns mural (at the 26:00 mark) was re-painted with a BLM mural about 3 weeks ago.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:28 PM

I have been lurking this forum for seven months and finally signed up.I am very excited to read all the great opinions and knowledge that this forum brings. Being a valley native I became interested in skyscrapers ti the early seventies. having watch the erection of 1st National bank of Az (Wells Fargo) and Valley National Bank (Chase Bank).I love what has been happening downtown in the last few years and looking forward to adding to this forum

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:29 PM
Skyriser

If you've never been downtown before, or in a while, it's informing, but I ended up putting it on 2x speed and fast forwarding through lots of it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
If you've never been downtown before, or in a while, it's informing, but I ended up putting it on 2x speed and fast forwarding it.
I didn't exactly watch it all at one time. Just here and there as I'm doing my IT stuff all day long. I didn't want to skim it in the event that I missed something I may not have noticed on my walk-abouts downtown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Why would I not watch it if it was posted?
Maybe I'm envious you have that much free time to devote to watching a guy videotape his walk.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
Trolling...? I'm not even sure what you mean by that! I am beginning to think that many here are jealous or resentful of me. Is this your personal website? I am not looking for new friends here. If there is some legal issue where only liberals that are asu grads allowed - on this site - that pay for it - let me know. Being virtually deserted in downtown Phoenix is not entirely to be blamed on the pandemic. I have read comments how shocked people were with no one was on the streets. What I wrote were facts. The courthouse square in Prescott has more traffic and people than downtown Phoenix. The pandemic means worldwide.

For the asu sun devil: success and growth takes MONEY!!!! Who do you think can afford to pay for $1,900 a month one bedroom apartments!?! You get all giddy with the new apartment buildings - yet, do you think that someone that hasn't any money can afford to live there!?! If there are no takers - developers will not build!
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Downtown Phoenix was thriving before the pandemic. I know because I worked Downtown for 7 years straight before my job moved out to Encanto Blvd/19th Ave this past Winter. Even since then, I have been walking Downtown nearly daily for my lunch breaks and sometimes in the evening. For the last 3 years, downtown has been very active. Does it feel like Old Town Scottsdale or Mill Ave? Of course not. Those areas have a much smaller footprint to fill with pedestrians and have been well established for many years. But downtown isn't exactly tumbleweeds blowing in the wind either. Do you honestly think they are building all these residential units and towers for no one?

Stop remembering downtown 30-40 years ago or whenever it was you were there. Phoenix has changed IMMENSELY in the last 3 years alone. So much so, if I had moved from Phoenix 3 years ago and came back (just before the virus took it's toll), I would have sworn I wasn't in Phoenix. And yes, the virus HAS taken an immense toll on Downtown Phoenix and nearly every Downtown in the country. I've been to Old Town on the last few weekends and it's as dead as I have ever seen with half the businesses and restaurants closed or very few customers.

And no, this is not a privately owned website or an ASU/hippie/liberal board. It just has forum rules that I suggest you read in the Forum FAQ's section. While you're at it, I suggest you do go and read the definition of "Internet Troll".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest