HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 2:29 AM

Quote:
I really hate this attitude of "develop now, think later" Its completely myopic.
This is a proposal so I don't think it's fair to describe it as "develop now, think later."

Quote:
Its the idea that every citizen has the right to partake in the best of what the city has to offer without developers absconding with profitable land for their private use, even in the guise of public interest.
Who are these developers that are stealing public land? This project creates new parkland that can be used by all.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 2:31 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSawyer View Post
Who are these developers that are stealing public land? This project creates new parkland that can be used by all.
Re-read my posts and actually figure out what parts of the proposal I'm for and whaich parts I'm against.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 3:25 AM

Well, I re-read your posts and I understand that you don't like the "retarded" placement of the observation tower or the wind turbines but I still don't understand how this plan fits in the catagory of "develop now, think later" or who's stealing public land. IMO, Smith/Gill have created an interesting and relevant iteration of the Burnham Plan.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:12 AM

Bridging The Drive : Bridge Design Competition

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone remembers the "Bridging the Drive" bridge design competiton. It was hosted by the Chicago Architecture Foundation in 2005 and involved pedestian bridges over "53rd Street, the Chicago River, North Avenue, and a pair of bridges, to be considered as one proposal, at 41st and 43rd Streets." Anyways, I was wondering if these ever really had a chance, or are in the works. Something else I noticed that was interesting...The Chicago River bridge is located right where we were holping Calatrava would put the bridge originally designed with the Spire. Pretty neat stuff if this project ever is put to use

http://www.architecture.org/drivesite/index.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:01 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

10/20/07 British School on Halstead:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:46 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6210961.story

Artist battles to hide a work
Fight over restoration highlights tensions between creators and owners over control

By Ameet Sachdev
October 21, 2007

The owners of the skyscraper at the northwest corner of Randolph Street and Michigan Avenue are planning a dazzling unveiling next spring of a restored outdoor sculpture that has been absent from Chicago's public gallery of art for more than two years, a 43-foot, stainless steel column that adds a splash of color to the tower's gleaming white exterior.

But one VIP isn't planning on attending: Yaacov Agam, the artist, who claims that the restoration is not faithful to his original vision of a symphony of colors that appears to change and move as the viewer passes it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:49 PM
The City

I sort dissected this first article to point out the little snippet in bold, which drew some laughs from me. Even after being fired, Tillman continues her quest to keep her former ward dirt-poor and bereft of hope:

Developer sought for 47th, King
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
October 21, 2007
City planners are looking for a retail or mixed-use developer for long vacant city-owned land at 47th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

"This is prime retail space. The idea for a park was conceived over the last 10 years [by former Ald. Dorothy Tillman], and ... it sat vacant, non-productive, a blight in the community while there is tremendous need for retail," Ald. Patricia Dowell (3rd) told the Community Development Commission.

.......Tillman told commissioners that she is prepared to sue the city if they abandon the plan for the park, for which she has used city funds to buy art.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,4491118.story

80 condos planned for project on Cottage Grove
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
October 21, 2007
A mixed-use project with 80 condominiums is planned for long vacant land on Cottage Grove Avenue in the North Kenwood neighborhood.

The Chicago Community Development Commission this summer approved the sale of city-owned property at 4501-4521 S. Cottage Grove Ave. to a developer who will build a seven-story building with 80 condos and 25,000 square feet of retail space, contributing to a considerable retail expansion under way on Cottage Grove.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,6911337.story

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:31 AM
TL;DR

I'm really disappointed with both parties in the Yaacov Agam restoration.

First of all, Agam is being a petulant old fart because Jones Lang LaSalle didn't use his preferred restorer. Second, if Dajnowski is recommended by SAIC and MCA, he's obviously a professional who is certainly capable of doing the work, but he made the idiotic move of neglecting to have Agam approve the colors, even after being contacted by Agam AND his lawyer. By doing so, he embroiled the original artist and the artwork's owner in a heated legal battle and put a huge black mark on his own career.

To be honest, I really don't care if the colors aren't what they were before. Art, especially after it's been exposed to the elements, can not be restored to what it was originally. I'm sure the restoration will be fine - here's to hoping Agam doesn't get a restraining order.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm really disappointed with both parties in the Yaacov Agam restoration.

First of all, Agam is being a petulant old fart because Jones Lang LaSalle didn't use his preferred restorer. Second, if Dajnowski is recommended by SAIC and MCA, he's obviously a professional who is certainly capable of doing the work, but he made the idiotic move of neglecting to have Agam approve the colors, even after being contacted by Agam AND his lawyer. By doing so, he embroiled the original artist and the artwork's owner in a heated legal battle and put a huge black mark on his own career.

To be honest, I really don't care if the colors aren't what they were before. Art, especially after it's been exposed to the elements, can not be restored to what it was originally. I'm sure the restoration will be fine - here's to hoping Agam doesn't get a restraining order.
Well I support the artist...but when I read the article I sort of had two questions....how does a 78 year old person remember the "exact" colors. We are talking "shades" here...and it said that he gave the restorers "paper" models to show the colors.....well he must have some damn assed great paper for the color on it not to change in 30 years.......

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:59 PM

So I heard on the news that Neumann Homes is filing for bankruptcy and has shut down all operations. They're one of the single-family sprawl outfits, so it doesn't really impact the city, but it sounded significant and I wondered what people thought about it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:23 PM
Registered

^ They did do limited work in the city. I don't know the specifics, but I think it's undeniable that a slowdown is underway. I am not ready to call it a bursting of the bubble yet, but we will have to see how far-reaching this is and for how long it will last. I think there is still room for outstanding projects; maybe this will help motivate developers to produce some outstanding designs moving forward, rather than some of the same old junk.

Crain's just reported that USG's profits were down 95%, if that is any indication of the scope nationwide.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:36 PM
Closed account

There definitely is a slowdown but development is not going to die either, it’s just changing directions. For now the new residential market is not that strong so that will fuel stronger rentals. It’s definitely not the death of real estate but it is slower than the boom we got used to. Id expect to see more of what we saw at the far beginning of the boom where smaller buildings were popping up versus all these giant proposals we saw in the last 5 years. In time the big projects they are proposing now such as the Waldorf might meet a very favorable market when they get going for the market but smart developers are thinking years out from now not this next year or two specifically. Some developments we are currently hoping for will get hurt and how they make it is unknown but it definitely will create buyers for other projects when the development they were contracted into couldn’t acquire financing. This will help the other more solid projects as honte was talking about if people dont abandon the downtown market.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Oct 23, 2007 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:15 PM

Yeah I would definitely love to see a flight to quality.
I don't have any data to back it up, but I wonder if the Neumann problem is more the slow market, or more the trend of people moving back to the city?
Maybe the exurbs have finally grown as far as people are willing to sit in traffic?

I see a little bit of a silver lining in that it wasn't a downtown developer that got in trouble, but a tract home company operating out in the collar counties. I'd love to continue the boom AND keep our cornfields.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't have any data to back it up, but I wonder if the Neumann problem is more the slow market, or more the trend of people moving back to the city?
Maybe the exurbs have finally grown as far as people are willing to sit in traffic?

I see a little bit of a silver lining in that it wasn't a downtown developer that got in trouble, but a tract home company operating out in the collar counties. I'd love to continue the boom AND keep our cornfields.

Yeah it is interesting that a developer like that would have problems before an urban developer. I would gather that they got too invested in land, utilities and roads to too many developments that did not get sold before the crap hit the fan. If you tack on the cost of the people employed to do that work im sure it would easily flush them out. From the appearances of all the developments they had in Chicagoland, they were attempting a lot of work just in this area alone. It seems there is a lot more overhead in new single family housing, than just building in an existing neighborhood. I dont think more people from those areas are moving into the city, the last I knew was that many of the people moving downtown were from Lake County actually, but im sure a few come from Dupage/Will as well. It would be great if people embraced the urban lifestyle but we do need those sprawlburbs as well. They add value and wealth to the metro and feed the inner cities growth/value as well. Chicago is still planning many urbanizing developments. Im particulary interested to see what happens around the east bank of the Chicago River south of Sears and north of Chinatown. There is prime land next to the water and it has development pressure on all sides. If it was done right, it could be quite the neighborhood but that would trust that developers take initiative to design for the river.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Oct 23, 2007 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Since when is Naperville an exurb?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Since when is Naperville an exurb?
I think Naperville is pretty much the definition of an exurb.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenIL_LA View Post
There definitely is a slowdown but development is not going to die either, it’s just changing directions.
Apartment rental developers like AMLI and Avalon Bay are thriving in this residential slump. Both are building sleek towers on S. Clark Street. So, yes, let's hope that a downtown rental boom will fill the void until the condo market picks up again.

Oh, and hotels... lots and lots of hotels please!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haworthia View Post
I think Naperville is pretty much the definition of an exurb.
Naperville is more of an 'edge city' than an exurb...quick expressway access and a whole lot of jobs in close proximity. when I think of Chicago exurbs, I think Elburn, Manhattan, Manteno, Huntley, Algonquin, Antioch, New Lenox....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Naperville is more of an 'edge city' than an exurb...quick expressway access and a whole lot of jobs in close proximity. when I think of Chicago exurbs, I think Elburn, Manhattan, Manteno, Huntley, Algonquin, Antioch, New Lenox....
I guess you're right. There are a ton of corporate head quarters out there which provide a lot of jobs. I just have a deep seated grudge against Naperville (I lived there for a combined five months). Exurb is a bit of a four letter word for me thus my temptation to apply it to Naperville.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:13 PM
you know where I'll be

Suburbs slowing much faster than city

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenIL_LA View Post
Yeah it is interesting that a developer like that would have problems before an urban developer. I would gather that they got too invested in land, utilities and roads to too many developments that did not get sold before the crap hit the fan. If you tack on the cost of the people employed to do that work im sure it would easily flush them out. From the appearances of all the developments they had in Chicagoland, they were attempting a lot of work just in this area alone. It seems there is a lot more overhead in new single family housing, than just building in an existing neighborhood. I dont think more people from those areas are moving into the city, the last I knew was that many of the people moving downtown were from Lake County actually, but im sure a few come from Dupage/Will as well. It would be great if people embraced the urban lifestyle but we do need those sprawlburbs as well. They add value and wealth to the metro and feed the inner cities growth/value as well. Chicago is still planning many urbanizing developments. Im particulary interested to see what happens around the east bank of the Chicago River south of Sears and north of Chinatown. There is prime land next to the water and it has development pressure on all sides. If it was done right, it could be quite the neighborhood but that would trust that developers take initiative to design for the river.

If you follow the figures Tracy Cross puts out (see this week's Crain's for the latest - 3rd Quarter), the suburban housing market has been slowing much more dramatically than the city, and if anything this gap is just widening with each passing quarter. Consider this: his firm just reported that on a seasonally-adjusted annual basis, new home sales in the city are now running at over 50% of suburban sales! That is really incredible when you think about it, as I'm sure suburban new home sales have typically been more like 3-4 times that of the city....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development