HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:51 PM

I agree with Sentinel, the performance space segment looks really nice but the rest feels clumsy. Kind of like one of the tech offices you'd see along I-88 out by Naperville. I don't hate it, but the more I look at it the more awkward it feels.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 8:00 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Looks like the Cabrini-Green reds are going to be history by the end of the week.

Assuming they aren't going to leave the last few walls standing for (caution: Chicago Code reference) a Delroy Lindo montage.
The two whites on Division are still standing, right?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I agree with Sentinel, the performance space segment looks really nice but the rest feels clumsy. Kind of like one of the tech offices you'd see along I-88 out by Naperville. I don't hate it, but the more I look at it the more awkward it feels.
I hate the location, but otherwise the building is ok.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There's only 1 white left, I think.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:52 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
1230 N. Burling is the only one left.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 6:34 PM

Does anybody know what the new construction project is on the southeast corner of Erie and Halsted? It's not a busy stretch of road there and the site is kinda obscured by railroad tracks.

Also it's next to a bland industrial building so I'm doubting it's anything exciting but was just wondering if anybody knew.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:26 PM

^^^post 11869 and 11871 on page 594
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...05764&page=594

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Mar 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's really too bad that the area keeps getting little stubby 2-story buildings. I mean, seriously, this is supposed to be one of the best urban districts in the country and we're barely building at suburban densities there?
I budgeted a prior design for this that was much more interesting. I know the demolition cost here was very high because these buildings, which you can see from the overhead pictures spyguy posted, are "landlocked" by the other buildings next to them.

That's a lot of protection of adjacent structures and, coupled with the only access for demolition being in from the front, which has a vaulted sidewalk unlikely to be able to support large equipment, makes it almost all hand-work to bring the buildings down without damaging the other ones left standing, particularly considering that, if I recall correctly, lululemon was built using the next door building's party wall, so that wall has to remain structurally sound and functional the whole way through. All that said, the high demolition costs could easily have contributed to this being only two stories in an attempt to keep overall construction costs low enough to show a strong enough ROI to get a construction loan.

Finally, given the hand-drawn sketch look of it, and the Lagrange-y feel, this looks like something M Development's in-house guy might draw up (he's ex-Lagrange, hence the similarity). If my pure speculation on this from just a sketch is correct, then I will be interested to see, if this is indeed M's building, how long it takes them to get past Reilly. Save for lululemon and the recent renovation of 1009-11 Rush for Ted Baker and another TBD retailer, both no-brainers, he's made shooting them down something of a sport over the past few years.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 5:06 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
if this is indeed M's building, how long it takes them to get past Reilly.
he's made shooting them down something of a sport over the past few years.
Yeah, I've noticed. I have no relationship with any developer, but his attitude toward M, which seemed to me to have some relatively interesting proposals, has really irritated me.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 2:13 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
What are the plans for the Uptown Theater? Wasn't it recently bought and aren't there plans to restore it?
Good to have some news so soon after the discussion.

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4...sic-mecca.html

Fresh hope to turn Uptown into Chicago’s music mecca
By Thomas Conner, Fran Spielman AND STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporters Mar 6, 2011 0

It was just a question, not a promise, but it certainly got the city’s music community and the Uptown neighborhood chattering.

In an interview that aired Wednesday on WXRT-FM (93.1), mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel talked about his favorite bands — and dropped an idea for creating a music district in Uptown.

“You have the Riv [Riviera Theatre], you have the Aragon. ... We have a downtown theater district. Should there be an Uptown music district, given our history with labels as well as the club scene, which is truly, truly unique around the country?” Emanuel asked.

It’s not the first time the question has been asked — a 2000 study by the Washington-based Urban Land Institute said it too — but the fact that the incoming mayor is raising it has sparked hope that now might be the time it finally happens.

“It’s very exciting that he’s thinking about this early on,” said Harry Osterman, the incoming alderman for the 48th Ward, where many of the venues for the district sit. “Culture and music and the arts are very important to our city, and the Uptown area has a long history of that.”.........

The city’s music business could certainly support its own district. According to a 2005 economic-impact study commissioned by the Chicago Music Commission, the city’s music concert, recording and sales business generates $1 billion annually. The city’s music businesses also employ 53,000 people, the study says; only New York and Los Angeles employee more. The year of the study, Chicago ranked fourth in the country for the number of concerts it hosted.

Members of the commission are set to meet with Emanuel this week to discuss several issues relating to local music, including this idea for a music district.

Emanuel’s spokesman, Ben LaBolt said, it’s just one of many ideas the arts and culture committee of the mayor-elect’s transition team will explore.

“There are many longstanding institutions in the neighborhood that could serve as anchors for a music district — from the Green Mill, to the Aragon, to the Riviera, to the Uptown,” LaBolt said............
More in link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 7:57 PM
The City

First the airline, now the hotel?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 9:04 PM

Not sure if this was posted anywhere on here yet but AKIRA is moving into Andersonville. I forgot to post this a week ago when I found out but today I just walked past it and they all in full move in mode. Almost all the furniture, decor, racks of clothing, and accessories are being moved in so I suspect that they will be open in the next day or two. They are going in on Clark Street where the old UrbanNest used to be just south of Foster. Its nice to see businesses like this go into Andersonville. I have been saying for some time now that Andersonville is the next Wicker Park/Bucktown neighborhood in Chicago!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
That's paywalled.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 10:25 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Its nice to see businesses like this go into Andersonville.
I don't think it is.

One of the many charms of Andersonville is its many local businesses. If too many chains move in, with their ability to price out the locals, it makes Andersonville just another pricey neighborhood and not the nice unique one it is today.

If it were majority chains, I'd have no reason to visit Andersonville - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Akira isn't the first, but it's part of a worrisome trend.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Last night I was out and about in the Argyle/Uptown area and was shocked at how busy the area has become. We could hardly find a restaurant near Argyle that didn't have an hour plus wait. It took us three tries to find one that could seat us in under a half hour. Then we were going to go to Green Mill, but it was completely packed and decided to go to Fat Cat which was also pretty packed. Its good to see that kind of business going on in the area. Gives me hope that Uptown could become a hot area over the next few years as more bars like Fat Cat open up and Argyle continues to increase in popularity.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is.

One of the many charms of Andersonville is its many local businesses. If too many chains move in, with their ability to price out the locals, it makes Andersonville just another pricey neighborhood and not the nice unique one it is today.

If it were majority chains, I'd have no reason to visit Andersonville - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

+1. This city is looking more and more like a Roadrunner cartoon every day. Really, its America at large and has been in full swing for a long time. Why do people want the exact same stores in every neighborhood? Dosent that defeat the purpose of why people move to certain neighborhoods in the first place?

Furthermore, Andersonville is already a nice stable neighborhood...hardly "up and coming", I would imagine its on most people's radars. So to ballyhoo that its the "next Wicker Park" is perplexing. If one wants to live in Wicker Park, they already can. Neighborhoods dont need chains to legitimize themselves, I would argue the opposite is true.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 1:05 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
That's paywalled.
Virgin was close to signing a deal late last year to open a hotel in the Chicago Motor Club building. That deal eventually fell apart and now they are looking at other properties downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Gives me hope that Uptown could become a hot area over the next few years as more bars like Fat Cat open up and Argyle continues to increase in popularity.
I have hope too and the idea of an entertainment district in Uptown always made sense to me. But it seems like one step forward, two steps back when it comes to Uptown. Wilson Yard is built but is quite ugly and struggling to attract meaningful new businesses to the area, Wild Pug closes, Goldblatt's is restored then Borders goes out of business, Uptown Broadway is restored then can't find any tenants, BoA renovates a building but then an ugly tarp goes over the Riviera next door, AON moves its workers downtown and that massive office complex sits empty, etc. Add in some poorly maintained stations, the crime, and an incompetent Alderman like Helen Schiller (although Smith could also get some of the blame) and you can see why the area didn't exactly flourish.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 1:24 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is.

I would agree with you if it was Levi's or Gap moving in. But AKIRA is a Chicago based boutique so I like when they expand to the different neighborhoods in the city.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Like the 5 Akiras on North Ave? LOL

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Virgin was close to signing a deal late last year to open a hotel in the Chicago Motor Club building. That deal eventually fell apart and now they are looking at other properties downtown.
That's a damn shame, the building would be absolutely perfect. From time to time, the building is open for maintenance. I took a peak in at the lobby and it's incredible. Truly a hidden gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development