HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
As long as the current Chair of CentreVenture is in position there will be no more buying of hotels or liquor licences.

Downtown is pretty depressing right now I agree. Portage Avenue is 90% vacant. Broken windows everywhere. It’s far worse than the 90’s.
Well if thats CV’s and the Chair’s position on problematic liquor licenses, they are off side with 98% of building owners and businesses in the area. So whom then are they working for? If the view and position of the Exchange BIZ is to deal with this issue what is CV going to do about it other than be an obstructionist? There are a multitude of businesses which produce and sell alcohol which add to the vibrancy of the area. The one or two establishments that cause a hugely disproportionate amount of disruption and social anguish in the area to the detriment of everyone else need to be dealt with. I’m saying close the vendor not bar for starters or take a Bell Hotel approach.

I see nothing wrong with housing at risk individuals in the location. Fill the building with solutions not problems.

If one is not in agreement with this concept perhaps it’s time for the Chair and Board of Directors to reconsider why they are there and perhaps move on. I think six plus years in that role may be enough don’t you?

As for your second comment, I’m glad we can agree on that…

Last edited by Labroco; May 3, 2022 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
"Client" is just the current euphemism for "patient" in healthcare and social services. If you have any friends who are nurses or physicians, you'll hear them use the same.
This has increasingly become an issue of addiction and mental health. I see a along road ahead for these people…

Somehow the community must reinvent Thunder Bird House for those most in need.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the shelters should be forced to clean and sanitize the area as its condition has a huge affect on the health of their clients and yes they call these people clients
Shelters should focus on using their limited resources to providing shelter services. If they can spare their resources to clean up sidewalks and the 'area' great, but given how they're always seeking more funding and saying they don't have the resources to keep up with demand, I suspect that's unrealistic.

When you go to other cities, the City picks up garbage, cleans sidewalks, vacuums or sweeps sidewalks and either the City or the transit authority cleans and repairs transit shelters. I don't know why our City allows things to get so bad. I suspect they'll say they have limited funds and so can only pick up garbage every three weeks or so (that may be hyperbole - I'm not sure what the City's policies on this actually are). But maybe funds from other departments need to be reallocated if they're unable to clean the downtown.

I'm not sure what is in place right now, but perhaps some sort of fund should be established to help small businesses and/or property owners with the amount they have to pay to replace smashed windows.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:42 PM

^ Good point, the City has not been doing a great job with basic maintenance. There was a twitter thread the other day pointing out overflowing litter boxes along major streets throughout the city, of which there are several. Apparently they don't get emptied for weeks at a time.

The BIZ crews used to do a good job of keeping sidewalks downtown tidy... are they not doing their thing anymore?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:57 PM

I totally understand that in certain places, like East Hastings, or Main and Higgins, the homeless population is so large that you'd need City crews going through multiple times a day to keep it clean - unrealistic. But even just the downtown proper has been filthy this winter - sand and dirt everywhere, garbage overflowing from bins, broken bus shelters, broken benches (there's been half a bench at the bus stop at True North for weeks), snow covered sidewalks, just a complete lack of general maintenance from the City.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:02 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's always this way right after the snow melts.

Garbage pick up thru the winter on sidewalks is difficult in the winter, especially when layer upon layer of snow gets added, like this past season. It all comes to roost in the spring - but soon the downtown crews will start up the regular litter pick ups, sidewalk cleaning, etc.

I will agree that emptying the bins, cleaning the bus shacks, and generally encouraging homeless people to move along is very much lacking along major City streets. And it needs to change.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Shelters should focus on using their limited resources to providing shelter services. If they can spare their resources to clean up sidewalks and the 'area' great, but given how they're always seeking more funding and saying they don't have the resources to keep up with demand, I suspect that's unrealistic.

When you go to other cities, the City picks up garbage, cleans sidewalks, vacuums or sweeps sidewalks and either the City or the transit authority cleans and repairs transit shelters. I don't know why our City allows things to get so bad. I suspect they'll say they have limited funds and so can only pick up garbage every three weeks or so (that may be hyperbole - I'm not sure what the City's policies on this actually are). But maybe funds from other departments need to be reallocated if they're unable to clean the downtown.

I'm not sure what is in place right now, but perhaps some sort of fund should be established to help small businesses and/or property owners with the amount they have to pay to replace smashed windows.

I grew up just across the tracks from Higgins and main. Involved in community projects had a garden at thunderbirdhouse one summer.....

The soup kitchens homeles shelters need to do more around their spaces to help make the streets cleaner and healthier it's a public health issue and if we can focus on this and give people God damn dignity it helps allot... specialy when u empower them with the tools. Seen it over and over with the work I did in the area and got ignored for my ideas. Wins bridgeman tride to give people dignity with public washrooms and he got crucified by the city in the beginning.

Also we need to end 9-5 mentality when comes to these kinds of programs.
If u get 1 or 2 hours from a street person who does some work here and their u give them a sens of normalcy and community it helps.....

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:31 PM

As someone who’s moving to Downtown this summer it’s really interesting to see the general sentiment of its current state.

Passing by it often pretty much confirms what y’all have been saying, but on the bright side the rents are pretty cheap. Either way I’ll take it 10/10 times over staying in the god forsaken suburbs of Waverley West any longer.

This is truly a case of selling high and buying low lol.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
As someone who’s moving to Downtown this summer it’s really interesting to see the general sentiment of its current state.

Passing by it often pretty much confirms what y’all have been saying, but on the bright side the rents are pretty cheap. Either way I’ll take it 10/10 times over staying in the god forsaken suburbs of Waverley West any longer.

Cheers welcome downtown.
Become apart of a wave with the new plans for hbc building and all the opertunity for new business to fill the wholes downtowns a canvas ready to paint

Also who needs a garage for projects when there's north forge and skullspace downtown

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:

Congratulations mr. geek.

What part of downtown are you moving into?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:23 PM
keep the good times going

Welcome downtown

I always love to hear when people are moving downtown.

My friend actually just moved downtown over the weekend. He was going to buy a house with his wife, but then the housing market went kinda nuts over covid... as we know.

They chose downtown to be close to friends, work and stuff to do.

I wonder how many others are in a similar situation, and are settling for a new apartment over a house. And I wonder if this will translate to more people downtown post covid?

I for one love living downtown, and I am sure you will enjoy it!

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:36 PM

Thanks ajs, esquire and peg!

I haven't confirmed where specifically I'll be headed but we've narrowed it down to 5 places. Here is the order of preference so far.

1. Roslyn Manor (not Downtown but close enough lol)
2. 300 Main
3. 300 Assiniboine
4. Boyce Lofts on Ross
5. Downtown Commons

I'm definitely open to suggestions though even in other parts of the inner city like West Broadway or St. Boniface, but I am tired of living in the edge of the city that's for sure.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:53 PM

I drive north on Main through the underpass every morning to work. The garbage in front of the Main St project is horrendous. Sometimes I have to dodge it on the street. This morning there was a very stoned citizen dancing and prancing in the intersection at Logan. This is NOT a beer vendor problem. In the 70's it was the hotels. In the 80's it was glue and solvents. Today...it is meth or whatever they can get. This must be an election issue - solving this problem (with the help of the upper levels of govt) so that there can be some dignity (and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel) for the people in crisis, while the rest of us can live safely and prosper in our city. Bus shelters are NOT homeless shelters. Our council and Mayor (along with our premier and her government) must take full responsibility for the mess we have now by not acting quicker to address this. It sickens me. This should be the #1 election issue for October...and the next provincial election.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
I'm definitely open to suggestions though even in other parts of the inner city like West Broadway or St. Boniface, but I am tired of living in the edge of the city that's for sure.
Despite a lot of negative comments recently (from myself included) and real challenges, living in inner city Winnipeg is great. There's a nice selection of restaurants and bars within walking distance and getting on your bike and riding the Assiniboine bike lane to the Forks for drinks with your friends is one of the great Winnipeg summer pleasures imo. I'd personally recommend West Broadway or Osborne Village for proximity to services and amenities (I have a good grocery store, a good variety of bars/restaurants, a pharmacy, a coffee shop, a home goods store all within 5-10 minutes of me). Both neighbourhoods are still close to downtown and transit in both areas is quite frequent and reliable. Further, I find both areas to be a bit 'busier' compared to downtown which sometimes feels a little too quiet on the sidewalks after dark.

That being said, I know some people who moved into the Smith Streets Lofts and my god, those apartments are absolutely beautiful. The double floor windows are incredible. I think if you live around there (Smith Lofts, 300 Main) the proximity to the Exchange District is a real plus. I find because I'm so well served in my neighbourhood, I don't get down to the Exchange as much as I'd like in the winter.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 6:22 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Thanks ajs, esquire and peg!

I haven't confirmed where specifically I'll be headed but we've narrowed it down to 5 places. Here is the order of preference so far.

1. Roslyn Manor (not Downtown but close enough lol)
2. 300 Main
3. 300 Assiniboine
4. Boyce Lofts on Ross
5. Downtown Commons

The Roslyn is such a cool building. I had some friends who lived there while I was in University. Can't really beat the location, other than it's on a fairly high traffic corner.

I live in Wolseley, and it allows me the freedom to walk to and from work in the Exchange, almost daily. Lots of services within walking distance, and driving to anywhere else in the City is convenient.

There are lots of decent apartment blocks scattered throughout Wolseley and into West Broadway that may offer a bit more of a quieter and laid back experience as compared to being right downtown, but you probably can't go wrong in your choices listed.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I drive north on Main through the underpass every morning to work. The garbage in front of the Main St project is horrendous. Sometimes I have to dodge it on the street. This morning there was a very stoned citizen dancing and prancing in the intersection at Logan. This is NOT a beer vendor problem. In the 70's it was the hotels. In the 80's it was glue and solvents. Today...it is meth or whatever they can get. This must be an election issue - solving this problem (with the help of the upper levels of govt) so that there can be some dignity (and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel) for the people in crisis, while the rest of us can live safely and prosper in our city. Bus shelters are NOT homeless shelters. Our council and Mayor (along with our premier and her government) must take full responsibility for the mess we have now by not acting quicker to address this. It sickens me. This should be the #1 election issue for October...and the next provincial election.
Building those benches in front of Main Street Project was not the smartest idea. People sit on this benches and sort through their shit and just dump what they don't want right there on the sidewalk. They don't care, they're high. It's never been as bad as it is now.

Regarding the behaviours, it's all about the meth and opioids. Over 400 dead from overdoses here last year. You'd think there'd be some way out of it but it's been that way in Van for decades now. I have little hope that it will change.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:28 PM

It is a very sad situation for the people that have spiraled into this abyss. Can they ever get real help, I don't know. But the city cannot be the sacrificial lamb. Frankly the problem is just as bad on Portage avenue at Polo Park, and near Canada Life. How can we possibly expect sustained growth with this cloud hanging over us? I would love to live in an interesting, vibrant, safe downtown Winnipeg one day. But in spite of some of the great developments, I think we are going in the wrong direction presently. Again...more-so than potholes, this is the number one threat to our beloved city and must be the number one election issue in October.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
It is a very sad situation for the people that have spiraled into this abyss. Can they ever get real help, I don't know. But the city cannot be the sacrificial lamb. Frankly the problem is just as bad on Portage avenue at Polo Park, and near Canada Life. How can we possibly expect sustained growth with this cloud hanging over us? I would love to live in an interesting, vibrant, safe downtown Winnipeg one day. But in spite of some of the great developments, I think we are going in the wrong direction presently. Again...more-so than potholes, this is the number one threat to our beloved city and must be the number one election issue in October.
If I seem a little down on the city lately, this is why... it felt like Winnipeg made some painstakingly slow progress over two decades from about 1997-2017, but so much of it has come undone over the last 5. And I am not that optimistic that we will regain that lost ground anytime soon... the current trendline for downtown Winnipeg is not great. So many shops and restaurants have closed down over the past couple years, and I'm not sure anyone will be in a rush to open new ones up in those spaces. It feels like any hope of seeing a truly improved and rejuvenated downtown sometime before I retire in the next 15 or 20 years is fading fast, and that is kind of a depressing thought. I never would have imagined that 2015-2017 or so was basically the high water mark for downtown Winnipeg in my adult life.

The situation is pretty dire but there has been surprisingly little public acknowledgment of that fact in the media, among civic leaders, etc., and even fewer ideas and solutions for dealing with it.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:35 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well if thats CV’s and the Chair’s position on problematic liquor licenses, they are off side with 98% of building owners and businesses in the area. So whom then are they working for? If the view and position of the Exchange BIZ is to deal with this issue what is CV going to do about it other than be an obstructionist? There are a multitude of businesses which produce and sell alcohol which add to the vibrancy of the area. The one or two establishments that cause a hugely disproportionate amount of disruption and social anguish in the area to the detriment of everyone else need to be dealt with. I’m saying close the vendor not bar for starters or take a Bell Hotel approach.

I see nothing wrong with housing at risk individuals in the location. Fill the building with solutions not problems.

If one is not in agreement with this concept perhaps it’s time for the Chair and Board of Directors to reconsider why they are there and perhaps move on. I think six plus years in that role may be enough don’t you?

As for your second comment, I’m glad we can agree on that…

I'm not sure you realize this, but CV's mandate is to be a development agency, not to issue or take away commercial licenses from private businesses. If 98% of the business owners want the Woodbine shut down they should lobby the Provincial government....or maybe the BIZ can do that for them.

On a personal level, suggesting that we take away the liquor license for one bar but not the many others in the area because one serves poor people and the others don't is not an idea I support. We didn't get rid of poverty or substance abuse when we bought the St. Regis. We just moved it. Closing the vendor wil not solve the poverty or alcohol issues in the area.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:40 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If I seem a little down on the city lately, this is why...
a little?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan