HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:49 PM

Bump, for UofM discussion

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 10:15 PM

WARNING:

I have a better idea. Turn that area into a swamp instead.

Just hear me out.

The UofM says it wants to find ways of attracting students and recognition to the campus. What do you think would make it more likely to stand out among other universities. Some more generic lackluster development which you could find at any other University campus in North America, or take advantage of it's setting on the river and significantly enhance it's natural qualities? Turning that golf course into a wetland wouldn't be that hard at all, seeing that's what the area originally was before hand, and in fact it even apparently had a small coulee going through connecting it to the red river. A dead giveaway that this area was once a wetland is the foundation repairs going on at the 4 year old IGF stadium. Apparently the grounds of a former marshland is not the most ideal place for building giant heavy structure like a football stadium.

I understand if you think it's only gonna end up as a breeding ground for mosquitoes, but the Fort Garry has proven itself numerous times as an area where uncommonly seen wildlife can frequently be spotted. This is a place where a freaking snapping turtle was found walking in the middle of university crescent in broad daylight.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fG_Dh7LblRKFf8

In fact snapping turtle sightings in the river at the U of M are surprisingly common. If we capitalized on this fact already and a put a wetland area right beside it could attract not only snapping turtles, but painted turtles, frogs, snakes, or even a few rare species of salamanders that we have in Manitoba. And we could design the area from scratch to specifically appeal to those animals habitat needs. It would make a great little experiment in wetland restoration, which I'm sure some people working at the university are already studying. It would reinforce winnipeg's status as a "river city" to have a little nature park like that made, and I'm sure a man made wetland constructed from scratch at a university would attract significant media attention from around the continent.

It would also be the perfect way to advertise to students the campuses expertise in ecology and environmental science, which is a pretty fast growing trendy field in the higher education world these days.

The fact that the land is already a green space should give people pause to think more carefully about developing it. They're not making anymore new green space these days. When you develop greenspace it usually means that it's gone forever, and that's just a fact. Unless someone can suggest a development plan that's truly equally as noteworthy as that I will remain firmly unconvinced that it isn't better off being left as a golf course. If the UofM wants to expand I'd prefer if they first focus on parking lot infill and expanding downtown, or even using some of that empty land they have just south of the stadium to expand their campus. The only reason they're interested in building anything on the golf course is because it's a lot of undeveloped land that's all in one place, which makes developers mouths water. But the rest of us know it only encourages incoherent and inefficient uses of land that could of just as easily have been built on any of the generously large parking lots spread throughout the campus. It sounds less "swanky" when a development plan is supposed to take place on equally large amount of area but is more spread out separately among an area I guess.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:35 AM
Ignore these four words.

Now that's thinking outside of the box. I like it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:27 AM

take what they did with destroying the parker wetlands for the "rapid" transit project to the u of m and transport it directly to their front door!
fort whyte alive 2.0

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:55 AM

Looking through the long term Visionary (re)Generation plan, most of the golf course (almost everything north of Markham) will be left as green space. At this point I would assume there are no firm plans with what form it will take but it shows the University does plan for greenspace, and that there is room both for it and a new community

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
take what they did with destroying the parker wetlands for the "rapid" transit project to the u of m and transport it directly to their front door!
fort whyte alive 2.0
parker wetlands right, the made up name for an area that was historically dry prairie with scrub bush.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
parker wetlands right, the made up name for an area that was historically dry prairie with scrub bush.
I'm all for development and you will never see me chained to a tree in protest of anything, but the way this forest was moved down was kinda tragic. It could have been more thoughtfully managed to keep part of the forest as an actual asset to the whole city. If you don't agree with me, go take a walk through the Assiniboine forest and get back to me.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Yer right Jeff. That was just dumb. Even Waverly West kept a lot of forest.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
LOL, the first and most obvious fact about the geography of Winnipeg is that the word "dry" isn't a very good description of the cities environment. While it's true that the yearly amount of precipitation we get isn't that different from any other part of the Canadian prairies, the fact that the red river valley is one of the flattest regions of land on earth AND being the dumping ground of 2 countries spring melts negates that.

The vast majority of Winnipeg was originally either permanent or temporary seasonal wetlands. It was really only the northwest quadrant of the city where you could find the true dry grassland that you would associate with most of manitoba, and that was only because of it's elevation and the numerous streams that drained the area such as such sturgeon & colony creek.

Meanwhile everything south of the Assinniboine and east of the red was too flat for any real streams to develop, so the water mostly sat and accumulated in wet meadows and and forested bush if you were closer to the river.

The parker lands may not have been a full blown swamp but they were enough of a wetland to be filled with the sounds of croaking frogs in the evening. Can you name a place within walking distance inside the city near where you live where you can be guaranteed to see a frog? I live close to Omands creek and it's difficult to come across frogs even there under most circumstances. So naturally, people were kinda pissed when their local neighborhood nature spot they never consented to selling off to developers was sawed down 3rd-world-country-style right in front of their very doorsteps. Just because the protests were hijacked by left wing activists who turned a greenspace preservation issue into a 'native lands' social justice act doesn't make that area any less wet than it already was.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
The parker lands may not have been a full blown swamp but they were enough of a wetland to be filled with the sounds of croaking frogs in the evening. Can you name a place within walking distance inside the city near where you live where you can be guaranteed to see a frog?
Yes, Frog Plain Park on Frog Plain Way.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:39 AM

The development near the water is making the FREAKIN' FROGS GAY!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 AM

bois des esprits is another good example and certain parts of royalwood!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:46 AM

From Winnipeg Construction thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/7433694/m...y-club-u-of-m/

I might be late to the party on this one but this was announced yesterday.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

Seems pretty ambitious in terms of the number of units they want to build. I just hope they don't squander their land by wasting it the way that they did with Smart Park, which always struck me as a bit of a model for how not to develop university land.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:33 PM

Smart Park is a disaster, but luckily everything is sooooo spread out that it could be salvaged and filled in well one day. Problem is UM has WAY too much land to develop now.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:22 AM

They should open a golf course.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:52 PM

Sadly this is being handled by another out of touch developer. They know saying a grocery store is planned for the development sells things. Reality is there is already a Safeway across Pembina from the development, a larger Sobeys a short drive north, a large Superstore on Bison and Save on Foods in building at Bishop and Pembina.

Even looking past the whole groceries as traditional retail is a dying industry argument for a minute, who exactly is opening this proposed grocery store on the Southlands development? Dominion? Metro? Hyvee? Piggy Wiggly? Albertsons? /s

Seriously it was dead before the thought even formed in their head and is 1000x more likely to never happen than a downtown grocery store.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:59 PM

^ When they say grocery store do they mean a supermarket to serve the entire community or just a small greengrocer to provide students an option without having to leave campus? It's been a while since I was a U of M student but from what I recall, the only food options at the time were the various restaurants and cafes, and the tiny convenience store in University Centre.

With the amount of residents they are planning to have on campus, I could see a small store, like a Carrefour City type shop (basically a convenience store with a good selection of grocery basics including produce, bakery and meat items) working out...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:04 PM

I don't know what the critical population needed for a laege grocery chain store to be profitable, but there's almost always a decent sized grocer in smaller towns with 3000-5000 people.

If the U of M is already looking at 2000 units and this development is going up to 10k units, plus residence students, it could be enough people to convince a big name supermarket. Maybe coop might want a presence there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:49 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I don't know what the critical population needed for a laege grocery chain store to be profitable, but there's almost always a decent sized grocer in smaller towns with 3000-5000 people.

If the U of M is already looking at 2000 units and this development is going up to 10k units, plus residence students, it could be enough people to convince a big name supermarket. Maybe coop might want a presence there.
Yes but those towns also serve a hinterland that adds a sizeable percentage of people. This includes more than just farmers but smaller towns from 50 to 100 kilometers away depending on where you are, exactly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan