HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Enough with this already. This project was an awful concept from the beginning. It clearly isn’t going to happen. It’s time to move on.

This needs to be denied and put the final nail on the coffin.
Pretty much. Anyone who passes that lot knows it's not set up as a temporary lot. Enough already.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Isn’t that the block that the catalyst committee wants the arena-library superplex?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 12:44 AM

An auger was attached to the pile driver crane when I went past the Pinkie Road bridge site this morning. I walked over there after supper and sure enough they have their ice fishing holes drilled.

There was no pile driving most of the week and didn't start again until Friday. Both the north / south sides for the bridge footings are done, with the concrete poured for the north side. The auger is off and pile driver back on the crane, so the creek piling should start tomorrow.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Isn’t that the block that the catalyst committee wants the arena-library superplex?
No one knows for sure. The Catalyst committee can't tell me there is widespread public support for this behemoth when information like the proposed location isn't being shared. I'm sure all the landowners downtown know where it's going to the public excuse that they don't want to affect property values/drive up the price is crap. The business community is just not that big.

Sorry, Bedard will be gone in 2 months and the Pats will be back to 1000 fans a game next season if they are lucky. And I can't wait to see full-size semis trying to negotiate the downtown to get to the rink. It's silly.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
An auger was attached to the pile driver crane when I went past the Pinkie Road bridge site this morning. I walked over there after supper and sure enough they have their ice fishing holes drilled.

There was no pile driving most of the week and didn't start again until Friday. Both the north / south sides for the bridge footings are done, with the concrete poured for the north side. The auger is off and pile driver back on the crane, so the creek piling should start tomorrow.
Appreciate these updates, especially the photos!! Is this type of work atypical for this time of year?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Appreciate these updates, especially the photos!! Is this type of work atypical for this time of year?
I've seen bridge concrete work being done during the winter, but I hadn't see a project start during the winter before, aside from small pedestrian bridges (I added some pictures of the 2016 Les Sherman park bridge replacement here: https://imgur.com/a/2AuH5Qz). I think the reason they did it this time was to make it easier to do the pier piles. The welder will be able to stand on the ice to join pipe sections, and they will be able to setup scaffolding to work on the concrete forms.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:49 AM

They were hammering silver coloured piles early this evening. I'm guessing stainless (didn't look galvanized) for the final piece as it will be in contact with water for the life of the bridge. So that work should wrap up tomorrow.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:48 PM

Letter went out to parents/staff last night that Regina Catholic Schools will need to close Holy Rosary school (the one behind the Cathedral) in the next year or so due to structural issues. They also mentioned that this will impact their head office (physically attached to that school). So I assume they will be looking for a new headquarters building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Letter went out to parents/staff last night that Regina Catholic Schools will need to close Holy Rosary school (the one behind the Cathedral) in the next year or so due to structural issues. They also mentioned that this will impact their head office (physically attached to that school). So I assume they will be looking for a new headquarters building.
They've been looking for new HQ for like 5 years. But they should be rebuilding this school, not closing. Stupid decision. (Really the Catholic school system should be banned and converted to public.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
No one knows for sure. The Catalyst committee can't tell me there is widespread public support for this behemoth when information like the proposed location isn't being shared. I'm sure all the landowners downtown know where it's going to the public excuse that they don't want to affect property values/drive up the price is crap. The business community is just not that big.

Sorry, Bedard will be gone in 2 months and the Pats will be back to 1000 fans a game next season if they are lucky. And I can't wait to see full-size semis trying to negotiate the downtown to get to the rink. It's silly.
Oh it's known and that's it: 11th-12th-Smith-Lorne is the proposed site.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
They've been looking for new HQ for like 5 years. But they should be rebuilding this school, not closing. Stupid decision. (Really the Catholic school system should be banned and converted to public.)
I think what complicates any rebuild at that location is that the school is very tiny (I think around 100 students total?) and has two public schools within a few blocks. Any rebuild will take longer than the current building has left, so they'll lose kids to the public system anyway, and probably wouldn't get them back (or many/most).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I think what complicates any rebuild at that location is that the school is very tiny (I think around 100 students total?) and has two public schools within a few blocks. Any rebuild will take longer than the current building has left, so they'll lose kids to the public system anyway, and probably wouldn't get them back (or many/most).
I don't see this city ever building another small school.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I don't see this city ever building another small school.
The Province pays for the schools. They will not pay for small schools.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:18 PM

There are 130 kids in Holy Rosary, up from 95 when they threatened to close it a few years ago. Any new schools will be P3 because the provincial government won't do single builds anymore. I'm surprised they didn't force Connaught into a dual build with the Catholic division. Given that HR could close as soon as this June, there isn't time for a new build.

This year, construction starts for the joint school to replace McDermid/Imperial/StPeter/StMichael at the former Imperial site.

https://leaderpost.com/news/design-p...inas-northwest

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:03 PM

Planning continues for parkade at Regina General Hospital

https://www.cjme.com/2023/02/09/plan...eral-hospital/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Planning continues for parkade at Regina General Hospital

https://www.cjme.com/2023/02/09/plan...eral-hospital/
Nice steady and stable revenue opportunity for an outside corporation that could easily just be done by the province because it’s just a parkade. But we don’t like owning our own infrastructure anymore apparently and like sending our money out of province. The cheapest parking lot downtown is a city owned lot, for example. There’s nothing special about the Impark lots on private land which cost more. This market fundamentalism is so idiotic.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Nice steady and stable revenue opportunity for an outside corporation that could easily just be done by the province because it’s just a parkade. But we don’t like owning our own infrastructure anymore apparently and like sending our money out of province. The cheapest parking lot downtown is a city owned lot, for example. There’s nothing special about the Impark lots on private land which cost more. This market fundamentalism is so idiotic.
SHA has enough on their hands. They know nothing about parking. Leave it to the pros. Let them bear some of the risks as well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:00 PM

Regina's new Micro-hospital is not going to be any architectural masterpiece.

https://www.cjme.com/2023/02/10/cons...t-care-centre/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
SHA has enough on their hands. They know nothing about parking. Leave it to the pros. Let them bear some of the risks as well.
You don't get SHA to built it, you get private contractors. But once it's built, then SHA owns it (and can even contract out the management, if needed). It's the same as how government owns most of its buildings...even though the government isn't in the business of buildings.

No reason to make the parkade more expensive just to make a profit for a third party.

A better example would be saying you want to live in a house (and have the money), but instead of buying one, you pay to have someone build one and then rent it from them. If you're already paying to build it, then why not own it?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:40 PM

I think the biggest risk for the General Hospital parking structure is that those calling for it turn out to have been a vocal minority and many prefer the free onstreet option. Time will tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan