HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:20 PM

yup, crazy $ but but the #1 guy in CFL supposedly! i heard $900k over 3 seasons, also heard 2 seasons $550k

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:12 PM

Edmonton sucked so hard last year I'm amazed they wouldn't want to go all out to keep such a key piece of their offense. Chris Jones doing his 3-D chess thing?

The Bombers are shaping up to be a beast this season.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 4:38 PM

With the moves at free agency the Bombers are well positioned to have another very strong season. The question is if their core team which is starting to age up is going to be able to stay game condition healthy or might injuries catch up to them.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 10:56 PM

2025 Grey Cup host awarded to Winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:15 PM

For clarity, "reports" have the 2025 Grey Cup being awarded to Winnipeg but it has not been formally announced.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 2:30 PM

It's nice that this Grey Cup will coincide with the Bombers near the top of their cycle, which should generate enthusiasm and ticket sales. Out of the four Grey Cups held in Winnipeg, two were in down years for the Bombers (1998 and 2015) and that really put a damper on things.

I'll be curious to see whether there are any modifications or improvements in store for IG Field. By 2025 it will be 13 years old and potentially due for a few touchups. I would hope that at the very least the turf gets replaced.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:41 PM

If someone said you have unlimited resources to make changes at IG Field but you cannot put a roof over the field what exactly might be worth changing or adding?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If someone said you have unlimited resources to make changes at IG Field but you cannot put a roof over the field what exactly might be worth changing or adding?
Well, the new turf for one thing, that would be the biggie. I'd also switch out the ribbon boards to newer, bigger ones that run the length of the upper deck (kind of like how the arena did). Improve the landscaping around the entrances. Not really my thing but I could see the Bombers potentially wanting to expand the group/party deck type areas. Lighting upgrade to LED. Improve the bike valet area by building a purpose-built facility with proper approaches (right now it is temporary, it was clearly never contemplated when the building was designed). Improved signage... for instance, to this day many people are unaware of the ramps that lead to the upper deck.

I'm sure there are probably some behind the scenes things too like various dressing room/team facility/media area type improvements that could stand to be made as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Simple doable ones I would do are remove the end-zone seating and install all loge areas like the few by the Rum Hut. Properly light the arches. Install complete LED ribbon boards on both upper levels (suites and 2nd deck).

With unlimited money, find a way to expand the concourses. Make the scoreboards much larger filling in most of the space in the end-zones to block the wind.

.....water slides

I have been to about half of the NFL stadiums and IG Field stacks up pretty good for the football viewing experience. Of course the attraction and size of some of the $1b+ stadiums can't be matched but.

....joking about the water slides.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 6:08 PM

^ I was thinking about the concourses too. The trouble is that logistically I'm not sure how you can swing it. An extra 3m all the way around would have made a difference.

I love the lit arches idea. I always thought IG Field hadn't really reached its potential in terms of architectural lighting.

I wouldn't yank all the end zone seating though, the south end zone seats are fine as is.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:09 PM

The one change I might do and somewhat surprised it hasn't been done is make the area over the Rum Hut into a true party deck area. Not sure exactly what it looks like but I picture something like the current Rum Hut but ramped up even more.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:13 PM

^ Just spitballing here, but what about adding a second level to the north end zone concourse? Such that you separate people who are walking through to their sections and those who want to congregate and watch the game in a patio setting? Although that could potentially mess with any capability to add temporary seating to the North End Zone, but not if it's built robustly enough to carry that load I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Might be easier and cheaper to make an overpass flyover ramp for those commuting from one side to the other.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Might be easier and cheaper to make an overpass flyover ramp for those commuting from one side to the other.
Banjo bowl 2 yrs ago it took my wife and I 20 minutes just to make it through the end zone at 1/2 time. crazy!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:27 PM

The just need to control the walkway better in the Rum Hut endzone. Direct the lines for Rum hut horizontally and make directional lanes so people can actually get through. It just gets so packed with people standing around.

That seems like a tall task though for the amount of traffic. Maybe they need to literally move the whole rum hut building out to create more space. Large expense though. The other end zone isn't as bad.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Rum Hut: $8 for a rum and coke.

Bombers fans: shut up and take my money! And yes I will wait 30 minutes for that drink. Actually make it a double, and give me 4 more for my buddies over there.

This is usually my experiences at the Rum Hut, or at least the poor sucker whose turn it is to buy a round of drinks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 10:39 PM

^ Most of the people hanging out at the Rum Hut aren't really there to watch the game. That's why I like my idea of a second-level patio so all those folks can stand around knock back drinks, and stay out of the way of everyone else

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The just need to control the walkway better in the Rum Hut endzone. Direct the lines for Rum hut horizontally and make directional lanes so people can actually get through. It just gets so packed with people standing around.

That seems like a tall task though for the amount of traffic. Maybe they need to literally move the whole rum hut building out to create more space. Large expense though. The other end zone isn't as bad.
That is sort of my thinking. Make the whole "roof" in the north end zone a party deck and relocate the Rum Hut up there. Perhaps give it a strict capacity limit and staff scanning people in and out.

Also pretty sure rum and coke is $10 or even $12 now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:30 PM

Bomber games Rum was still $8 , been that price for a few years now , Jets are $10.75 .

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 12:01 AM

Bomber legend Bud Grant has passed away at the age of 95.

Grant was a legend both as a coach and a player. Finished second in the NFL in receiving yards in 1952. The very next season he signs with the Blue
Bombers and finishes first in the West in receiving yards and does that again in 1956. Retires as a 3-time CFL all star.

He immediately moves into coaching and wins 12 games in his first season as the Bomber coach. He follows this up with 5 division titles and 4 Championships in 5 years as part of the 2nd greatest dynasty in CFL history. Finished with a 102-56-2 record in the CFL. Arguably the greatest CFL coach of all-time.

He signs on as coach of the Minnesota Vikings and almost immediately turns around the franchise winning 11 division titles and taking his club to 4 Superbowls unfortunately losing in all 4 of them. His team finished with the best record in the league 5 times. Overall he had a record of 158 - 96 - 5. Greatest NFL coach to never win a Superbowl.

Oh and for good measure Bud found time to win an NBA championship with the Lakers as a player.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan