HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 10:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In other irony, the three females in our office have been most cautious about Covid—double masking, sanitizing everything, etc) and they GOT Covid. Meanwhile, I and the other male who have not taken such drastic steps are the two who haven’t gotten it (as far as we know).
I wonder how much of this effect is driven by the more nervous people getting tested more often.

I'm not surprised that omicron being milder has little to no impact on the perceived danger for a lot of people. Many of them got vaccinated, dropping their risk of serious illness by 10-20x, often from a low base rate, and this made little difference to how they live (they tend to think in terms of "doing what we can", or "making people do whatever might help"). No matter the evidence a lot of people won't give up on the idea that children are super vulnerable and all sorts of measures need to be taken to keep them from getting infected, even though a lot of them were already infected and even if you slow the spread their odds of infection will tend toward 100% over time given the way things are going.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 11:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
I kind of wish some school boards outsourced their classes to professors in India. Honestly, there are a ton of Americans that just use schools as expensive daycares and are mad they can't drop their kids off to be babysitted from 7-5pm. Not everyone of course, but it is a segment of the population, unfortunately. Learn From Home could probably provide a better education in some of the Nation's shittiest school districts (I'm looking at you New Jersey) and would weaken the teacher's unions that are more concerned milking tax dollars than educating students. Put it up for vote.
If they did that, nobody would pass! Professor Jhunjhunwala would give those kids 4 hours of home work a day and have a rigorous, and with no half credit or no curve exam compromising of MIT level math problems. And we are talking 5th grade here. The only kids that would find it normal are your East Asian transfers and well, Indian kids.

Now, they would come out smarter, be able to read and write and do math along with scientific analysis. I think its a great idea!

Would love to be a fly on the wall during parent-teacher conference. When Professor Jhunjhunwala tells the parents that their kids aren't applying themselves and the parents flip out.

NJ has great school districts so long as one is not in a city school and especially if its in the inner city.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If they did that, nobody would pass! Professor Jhunjhunwala would give those kids 4 hours of home work a day and have a rigorous, and with no half credit or no curve exam compromising of MIT level math problems. And we are talking 5th grade here. The only kids that would find it normal are your East Asian transfers and well, Indian kids.

Now, they would come out smarter, be able to read and write and do math along with scientific analysis. I think its a great idea!

Would love to be a fly on the wall during parent-teacher conference. When Professor Jhunjhunwala tells the parents that their kids aren't applying themselves and the parents flip out.

NJ has great school districts so long as one is not in a city school and especially if its in the inner city.
The world needs less Kardashians and more Professor Jhunjhunwalas. There are some great school districts in New Jersey, but there are also some that are not so great. Does anyone enroll their child into Camden, Trenton, or Lakewood public schools by choice? And since the parent-teacher conferences would all be on zoom, any obnoxious parents that can't engage in civil dialogue can just be muted. Zoom public meetings should really stay post Pandemic to be honest.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
A friend of mine said yesterday that if you haven’t gotten this strain of Covid yet, then you just have no friends and are kind of a loser.

And that’s probably true. Everyone in London has had Covid in the last 2 months.
Or you just have a really robust immune system.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
A friend of mine said yesterday that if you haven’t gotten this strain of Covid yet, then you just have no friends and are kind of a loser.
You're friend sound like a bit of a Chad.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 6:05 PM

All my Homies have Omni.

Edit: Should've been Homiecron.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 6:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
You're friend sound like a bit of a Chad.
Chad's live in Lincoln Park, Chicago

So unless 10023's friend is an old buddy from Chi-Town, he's definitely not a "Chad"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 6:10 PM
The City

We've got Omni up and down and all over town.

This is how you get immunity the gangsta way. GANGSTA IMMUNITY!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Last weekend I planned meatballs for dinner. One of the main ingredients in my meatballs is a grated Yukon Gold potato and because I'm shredding one potato I may as well make mashed potatoes as a side. I went out to the store and couldn't find Yukon Gold potatoes at Sprouts, Vons, or Costco. I almost gave up, but happened to come across a 1.5 lb bag of small Yukon Golds at Target for $4.49 while shopping for something else. Usually you buy these for $1.29/lb or less.

Then about 4 or 5 days after that, I saw on the news there's a global potato shortage due to Covid-19. In that news clip, they said French fries are almost impossible to find in Japan. Has anybody else experienced a potato shortage where you live due to Covid-19?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
Last weekend I planned meatballs for dinner. One of the main ingredients in my meatballs is a grated Yukon Gold potato and because I'm shredding one potato I may as well make mashed potatoes as a side. I went out to the store and couldn't find Yukon Gold potatoes at Sprouts, Vons, or Costco. I almost gave up, but happened to come across a 1.5 lb bag of small Yukon Golds at Target for $4.49 while shopping for something else. Usually you buy these for $1.29/lb or less.

Then about 4 or 5 days after that, I saw on the news there's a global potato shortage due to Covid-19. In that news clip, they said French fries are almost impossible to find in Japan. Has anybody else experienced a potato shortage where you live due to Covid-19?
I have noticed some shortages on other items. At the grocery store over the weekend there wasn't much in the way of chicken at all. I couldn't find the chicken that I normally buy, which is almost always there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
All my Homies have Omni.

Edit: Should've been Homiecron.
Snoop's got a trunk full of homiecron.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:

The potato shortage in Japan is due to flooding in British Columbia. Back in November we were inundated with atmospheric rivers which flooded a huge portion of our agricultural land with the side effect of forcing everyone in Tokyo to settle only for size small fries at McDonalds.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Or you just have a really robust immune system.
Robust immune system or not, you would have gotten it. You would just be like me, and not know when you got it, but have had a positive antibody test before vaccination (and then another positive test 8 months later, again with no symptoms).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:22 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chad's live in Lincoln Park, Chicago

So unless 10023's friend is an old buddy from Chi-Town, he's definitely not a "Chad"
Chad's have swept their way across the English speaking world with their douchiness. There's also the Kyle variant as well.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:

And that’s probably true. Everyone in London has had Covid in the last 2 months.
I find it very hard to believe that there are no loner losers in London.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
The potato shortage in Japan is due to flooding in British Columbia. Back in November we were inundated with atmospheric rivers which flooded a huge portion of our agricultural land with the side effect of forcing everyone in Tokyo to settle only for size small fries at McDonalds.
The news clip I watched didn't mention any floods as being the primary issue, but you're probably right and I'm sure those floods contributed to the problem. I did some searching and found this from the Seattle Times yesterday 1/9/2022: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...apan-to-kenya/

Quote:
China, Russia, India and the United States are the world’s top potato producers. But last year, U.S. farmers had to destroy a glut of millions of potatoes after lockdowns and stay-at-home orders led to a steep decline in demand, including from restaurants. The U.S. potato crop declined by 2% in 2021, according to a November report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Japan is the United States’ largest oversees market for potatoes, according to the USDA. Japan has more than 3,000 McDonald’s franchises, and relies on potatoes grown in the United States and sent by ship from North America.

McDonald’s in Japan said it was considering flying in potatoes to meet demand until the backup in Vancouver was resolved. But after heavy snow in early January further delayed shipments, the company announced that it would be sticking with its small-order maximum for at least another month.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I find it very hard to believe that there are no loner losers in London.
“Everyone” is clearly hyperbole. But most people have had it, and probably everyone that goes out at night.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The news clip I watched didn't mention any floods as being the primary issue, but you're probably right and I'm sure those floods contributed to the problem. I did some searching and found this from the Seattle Times yesterday 1/9/2022: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...apan-to-kenya/
There's also this article from Canadian news sources:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sma...ding-1.6293768

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:00 AM

Today in Austin/Travis County we have 539 hospitalized with covid. That's an almost 200 percent increase in just 10 days. There are 122 in ICU and 68 on vents. Last August we had a similar (near record high) number hospitalized with 191 in ICU and 116 on vents. I guess this amounts to good news, especially as it relates to patients requiring vents, but I find the number of ICU patients to be a bit of a concern. I know three people who are sick with covid at present. One is feeling quite ill., but he remains at home. He also has a long term HIV infection. My other two friends feel lousy but not in a scary way. As for myself (age 75), I am mostly avoiding crowds, doing mask and dash to the grocery, and not much else. More will be revealed.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:05 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Today in Austin/Travis County we have 539 hospitalized with covid. That's an almost 200 percent increase in just 10 days. There are 122 in ICU and 68 on vents. Last August we had a similar number hospitalized with 191 in ICU and 116 on vents. I guess this amounts to good news, especially as it relates to patients requiring vents, but I find the number of ICU patients to be a bit of a concern. I know three people who are sick with covid at present. One is feeling quite ill., but he remains at home. He also has a long term HIV infection. My other two friends feel lousy but not in a scary way. As for myself (age 75), I am mostly avoiding crowds, doing mask and dash to the grocery, and not much else. More will be revealed.
Instacart and Door Dash are your friend. During the height of Covid around here, that's all we did. Wife still uses them when she doesn't feel like going to the store...which is a lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions