HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

At its worst, you got the most memeably Xer genre: rap rock. You could argue that musical pop culture died at Woodstock '99, smothered under a pile of rapey proto-juggalos. The last thing it saw was Fred Durst's stupid, perma-O face. Music sharing came around just when our capacity for innovation had run out.
Nu metal (rap-rock), was really an early Millennial fad, and should not be attributed to Gen X. It's popularity peaked around 2001, and was big from around 1999-2003.

Considering Gen X is usually classified as people born on Jan.1, 1965 until either Dec.31 1979 or Dec.31, 1981 (depending who you ask), and the core audience for Nu Metal were teenagers, mainly born from 1980-89.
There is no way Nu Metal was going to appeal to people in their late 20s and beyond.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 1:02 AM
recession proof

Most of the DJs I grew up with are still making music. Is electronic music more multigenerational vs mainstream rock pop etc?

Friday I went to London trying to find what Molson Ex hates about the place: failed: I love it! Downtown London reminds me of Hamilton c.2008 - cool! Anyway I found it amusing to finally be listening to CHRW (Radio Western) in London rather than the sticks like I used to: all kinds of music from new metal to pop to dance music.)

Today I pulled out my vinyl and listened to the Rolling Stones, Soft Cell, Astral Projection and a bunch of disco.

I didn't really start listening to metal until I came across an excellent metal show on Conestoga College Radio c.2001. I certainly see parallels between metal, classical and dance music. In the early/mid-90s, I'd stay up all night listening to obscure shows on CKLN (Ryerson Radio) and CIUT. I probably listened to college radio more than the CBC after Patti Schmidt took over Brave New Waves.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:01 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The Jeffersons >> The Cosbys

It wasn't even close.

And that toe-tapping, great theme song...
I've been rewatching Three's Company lately. No one can do physical comedy like John Ritter. Change my mind.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Nu metal (rap-rock), was really an early Millennial fad, and should not be attributed to Gen X. It's popularity peaked around 2001, and was big from around 1999-2003.

Considering Gen X is usually classified as people born on Jan.1, 1965 until either Dec.31 1979 or Dec.31, 1981 (depending who you ask), and the core audience for Nu Metal were teenagers, mainly born from 1980-89.
There is no way Nu Metal was going to appeal to people in their late 20s and beyond.
Yeah, late Gen X was into “alternative” in its heyday with rap growing in popularity towards the end of the decade.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I've been rewatching Three's Company lately. No one can do physical comedy like John Ritter. Change my mind.
Three's Company was pretty much my favourite sitcom from the 1970s (its English antecedent was pretty good too), but, boy, it really hasn't aged well ( in terms of being completely anachronistic now).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Three's Company was pretty much my favourite sitcom from the 1970s (its English antecedent was pretty good too), but, boy, it really hasn't aged well ( in terms of being completely anachronistic now).
For many years, the CBC broadcast Three's Company every weekday in a time slot around 5 pm. For millions of Canadians of my generation, watching the show was a daily after school ritual.

I guess that's one way the CBC brought Canadians together with shared cultural experiences!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Nu Metal was made and marketed by Xers. Attributing it to the tweeners who listened to it in the 90s is wrong.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 1:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Nu Metal was made and marketed by Xers. Attributing it to the tweeners who listened to it in the 90s is wrong.

Definitely. There were a few early millennials in bands at the tail end of the genre (such as teen band Kittie) but overwhelmingly the artists were Gen-Xers. A lot more than you'd expect were in their late 20s or even 30s when the genre hit big.

I started with Nu Metal early enough to buy Korn's first album shortly after it was released (basically the first real album in the genre - still holds up), but did so because my friends Gen-X older brother introduced us to the metal and punk bands he listened to. Even in the context of listeners the big target audience was probably the grey zone between X and Millennial which I fit into - usually defined as being born between 79 and 84.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that true of every genre of music? (The artists are older than the audience).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For many years, the CBC broadcast Three's Company every weekday in a time slot around 5 pm. For millions of Canadians of my generation, watching the show was a daily after school ritual.

I guess that's one way the CBC brought Canadians together with shared cultural experiences!
Come and knock on our door. We've been waiting for you.
Where the kisses are hers and hers and his, three's company too.

Come and dance on our floor. Take a step that is new.
We've a lovable space that needs your face, three's company too.

You'll see that life is a ball again and laughter is calling for you.
Down at our rendezvous, three is company, too.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

After school shows of my youth:
Video Link

Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:18 PM
Fake News

Most Brutal Nu Metal Scream:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Can't be done, the change of mind. Nope. Nope nope nope.

EDIT: Ritter was more well known for the sitcoms, but if anyone gets a chance to watch him in Skin Deep, take that chance.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
After school shows of my youth:
This too. I think it was paired with Three's Company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBI6L9eOeRM

Not sure which one was on first.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

After Friday night high school dances, which would end around 11-ish, we'd all rush home and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T53uVuv9Vng

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
After Friday night high school dances, which would end around 11-ish, we'd all rush home and watch this:

Did your dances end with Stairway to Heaven? Ours did.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:31 PM
Fake News

Quote:

We had Much Music video dance parties in my day. I can still remember the girls at my junior high losing their minds when Rick Campanelli came.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Did your dances end with Stairway to Heaven? Ours did.
Indeed they did.

Occasionally it would be "Last Dance" by Diana Ross.

But most of the time it was "Stairway to Heaven".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Indeed they did.

Occasionally it would be "Last Dance" by Diana Ross.

But most of the time it was "Stairway to Heaven".
Fond memories. Nobody knew what to do during the faster part... some continued to slow dance, some got jiggy with it. lol

The last call music of the bar scene thankfully differed... but "Closing Time" became a staple in the late 1990s

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:

I can relate to this, I used to watch Three's Company when I was in elementary school. Even though I'm sure much of it went way over my head.

That is one thing that I suppose has changed since I was a kid in the 80s... back then, in the pre-specialty cable channel era, kids' shows were mostly limited to Saturday morning with a small smattering of kid stuff throughout the rest of the week. When I was a kid, I ended up watching stuff not meant for kids simply because there were no age-appropriate options most of the time. When I was under 10, I remember watching Knight Rider, The A-Team, shows like that. When my parents turned me loose at the video store, I remember picking stuff like Rambo movies, raunchy 80s comedies, etc. I remember watching wrestling which was somewhat kid-friendly in those years but even still not the greatest content.

By contrast, my kids have an endless array of kid content to stream on Netflix, Disney+, etc. Most of it is reasonably high quality even though some shows are so-so. I get usage reports for their profiles and I'm not sure that they ever see anything they aren't supposed to. Mostly cartoons and kid-oriented shows. My son is 8 and has a few favourite youtubers, but most of the stuff he watches on that platform is either pretty wholesome like Dude Perfect (sports trick shots and related antics) or just straight up sports content like NHL/WHL highlight reels.

I guess they don't have those shared experiences like us with the Three's Company, but they are definitely exposed to way less content that isn't meant for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada