HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:40 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow, so One Lady Bird Lake would essentially take that big surface lot next to the Hyatt Hotel along the trail?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 6:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Austin is off the chain. I’ve been to Austin about every year or so since the mid 90s and it’s been incredible to see it’s transformation. I was just there a few months ago again and it’ll be nuts to see it again in December when I go back to Texas and then it’ll be super nuts to see to see the skyline and the city in a couple of years.

I remember in the 90s when it was still weird and there was only a couple of “skyscrapers”. Now it’s going to have a skyscraper taller than even JP Morgan Chase in Houston. Never thought that would happen, even with the current skyscraper boom that’s been happening since around 2006 in Austin. I remember thinking that Austin would never get anything taller in the foreseeable future other than the Austonian back when it U/C.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Austin is off the chain. I’ve been to Austin about every year or so since the mid 90s and it’s been incredible to see it’s transformation. I was just there a few months ago again and it’ll be nuts to see it again in December when I go back to Texas and then it’ll be super nuts to see to see the skyline and the city in a couple of years.

I remember in the 90s when it was still weird and there was only a couple of “skyscrapers”. Now it’s going to have a skyscraper taller than even JP Morgan Chase in Houston. Never thought that would happen, even with the current skyscraper boom that’s been happening since around 2006 in Austin. I remember thinking that Austin would never get anything taller in the foreseeable future other than the Austonian back when it U/C.
I agree. I can't think of another city that has transformed as much as Austin except maybe Nashville. It'll be interesting to see the skyline in a few years. By 2030 it could rival Seattle/Bellevue.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

Same, it seemed like a sleepy large college town for many decades. Excited to see what other cities emerge in a similar fashion in the next couple decades.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:58 AM
クラブトクヨ

It’s a crazy development time, with pandemic and economic issues Austin keeps pacing on! Love it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 12:04 AM

Waterloo Park Central

Quote:
Two 37-story residential apartment towers with 921 units and over 772,000 square feet of living space.

28,000 square feet of retail space including a gourmet food hall and indoor live music venue.
30,000 square feet of elevated outdoor plaza that provides an amenity and connects the two residential structures, optimized to both contribute to and enjoy the 12th Street Capital View Corridor.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 2:28 AM

Gotta love those gigantic, impossible to miss parking podiums.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Gotta love those gigantic, impossible to miss parking podiums.
Rather unfortunate as it could be better integrated with the high-rise itself to make it less offensive but it’s pretty average for a sunbelt city. It does include parking for the retail component and outdoor plaza.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:45 AM
クラブトクヨ

Austin keeps growing tall and looking beautiful!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:48 AM
Meh

I like the facade designs. Anything to distract from how ugly I-35 is.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 5:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Incredible times for Austin. And the towers keep rolling on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Well...the rumors of a supertall there are incorrect. In any case - 858'6" is nothing to sneeze at.
Ah, this answers my query. Was getting ready to ask about this but looks like I got my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Rather unfortunate as it could be better integrated with the high-rise itself to make it less offensive but it’s pretty average for a sunbelt city. It does include parking for the retail component and outdoor plaza.
Its good to see high unit count developments. When developers start pitching developments 700...800...900+ units at a clip, that's a good sign. I'd especially look at the rate that they are selling units once they go to market. Your rapid sales or occupancy percentage in a short period is always good sign that more is to come. Unsatisfiable demand!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Incredible times for Austin. And the towers keep rolling on.

Ah, this answers my query. Was getting ready to ask about this but looks like I got my answer.
I can say the super-tall rumor is real. It has been upped from 859’ and from what I know it’ll be the tallest proposal outside of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsCalledTownLake View Post
Hearing construction start in 2Q23 with 4 year construction timeline. That length of time indicates a very tall building. Look for 9/26 design commission meeting.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 3:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Thanks.

Yeah I'm almost in disbelieve of what's happening with Austin. Knock on wood but may the good luck continue!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
True... but DT Austin is getting so dense ( resulting in sky high land prices ) it may be cost effective soon to go underground with parking. Dallas and Houston are also filled with enormous parking podiums but both also have much larger CBD's so more land to work with.

As a Dallas native I hate to say it but the Austin skyline will eclipse both Dallas and Houston in terms of height by 2025 or so when all these towers are completed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
True... but DT Austin is getting so dense ( resulting in sky high land prices ) it may be cost effective soon to go underground with parking. Dallas and Houston are also filled with enormous parking podiums but both also have much larger CBD's so more land to work with.

As a Dallas native I hate to say it but the Austin skyline will eclipse both Dallas and Houston in terms of height by 2025 or so when all these towers are completed.
Don't "hate to say it"... Dallas and Houston both have FAA regulated heights in their downtowns that Austin does not appear to have to deal with.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 9:08 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas and Houston both have FAA regulated heights in their downtowns that Austin does not appear to have to deal with.
I don't believe that is 100% correct. In fact, if I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago a Turkish developer filed a proposal with the FAA for a tower of 1,080'. However, I believe that proposal has died - but, not due to any FAA regulation. And, Houston already has 2 supertalls.

The FAA doesn't directly restrict the height of buildings, but issues a "determination of hazard" when buildings are too tall near airports. At that point, local zoning boards are reluctant to approve construction and buildings can become unaffordable because of higher insurance costs and smaller size.

If I'm not mistaken - as-the-crow-flies distances from a downtown to nearest edge of a runway (using Google Earth):

Dallas - DAL = 4.4 miles
Austin - AUS = 5.4 miles
Houston - HOU = 8.6 miles
Dallas - DFW = 13.8 miles
Houston - IAH = 14.1 miles

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 17, 2022 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I don't believe that is 100% correct. In fact, if I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago a Turkish developer filed a proposal with the FAA for a tower of 1,080'. However, I believe that proposal has died - but, not due to any FAA regulation. And, Houston already has 2 supertalls.

The FAA doesn't directly restrict the height of buildings, but issues a "determination of hazard" when buildings are too tall near airports. At that point, local zoning boards are reluctant to approve construction and buildings can become unaffordable because of higher insurance costs and smaller size.

If I'm not mistaken - as-the-crow-flies distances from a downtown to nearest edge of a runway (using Google Earth):

Dallas - DAL = 4.4 miles
Austin - AUS = 5.4 miles
Houston - HOU = 8.6 miles
Dallas - DFW = 13.8 miles
Houston - IAH = 14.1 miles
Chase Tower in Houston is the only supertall they have and has been deemed as the highest a tower can go in that area. It's original design was to be taller than it currently is, but was cut short due to Hobby flight paths around downtown. The 2nd tallest tower is under 1,000 feet.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Chase Tower in Houston is the only supertall they have and has been deemed as the highest a tower can go in that area. It's original design was to be taller than it currently is, but was cut short due to Hobby flight paths around downtown. The 2nd tallest tower is under 1,000 feet.
A supertall is at least 984’ or 300 meters so Houston has 2.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:30 PM

The Chase tower in Houston was originally planned to be over 1,100', but the FAA wouldn't allow it. I don't know what the exact FAA height limit is for downtown Houston, but I suspect it's not much more than the building's 1,002' height.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
A supertall is not 1,000 ft. And Houston has 2.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations