HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
after comcast finishes the $350 million or whatever upgrade, I am not sure the WFC will still be considered to be outdated.
And, as I said, an equity stake in the arena could be part of the negotiation, which would give them some measure of control depending on what they negotiate.
I hope they do move to market east, I am just not convinced that they will.
I think it was someone else who said that the renovation for WFC does not extend its life. It will still be old and outdated by the time 2031 comes around.

For the Sixers to go so public like this and then chicken out would be stupid. It's happening.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
For the Sixers to go so public like this and then chicken out would be stupid. It's happening.
Just because it's stupid doesn't mean they won't do it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Yeah I wouldn't want to live anywhere near this. This was one of my first concerns for Chinatown and Washington Square West/Gayborhood. I would hate to see the areas potentially get trashed from large crowds
Oh no, thousands of people in Market East at night with disposable income to spend. You don’t move into the ludlow and then be sad that market is getting less sketch after dark. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your concern. Is it just that there’s going to be too many people in that area?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:35 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I think Chinatown and the Sixers stadium can make a collaborative agreement to improve the Chinatown district as well as functioning side by side together with out an issue.

The Sixers Arena being in that area will not destroy the neighborhood any more then the massive Greyhound bus station and 5+ parking lots in the area between Market St, and Arch St.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Chinatown has room to grow, with the Police HQ up for sale, 8/9th and arch parking lots, and the parking lot of Chinatown station. I think it needs to be expanded with the capping of 676.
Chinatown will be the main spot for Chinese population but it needs to grow.
YES. Chinatown has tons of room to grow, and should. This is a great opportunity for Chinatown to become a better version of itself without giving up any current territory.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:26 PM

I prefer the Market St location over the Roundhouse location. Market St needs to be commercial and it’s a great opportunity to get ahead of the looming collapse of the FD. The Sixers arena will not just improve that block but could drive development all along Market. The Roundhouse site is better suited for mixed use or residential. Putting the arena there would pull foot traffic away from Market and do nothing to improve the fate of the FD or the other depressed blocks of Market.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Yeah I wouldn't want to live anywhere near this. This was one of my first concerns for Chinatown and Washington Square West/Gayborhood. I would hate to see the areas potentially get trashed from large crowds
I think you’re dramatically over-estimating a few thousand people’s impact. 18,000 people is about the equivalent of the Comcast Center, CITC, and the Mellon Bank Building’s total occupancy pre-pandemic. Was Market Street and JFK over run by the thousands of hoards when work let out at 5p? Half the people won’t even emerge onto the streets as they’ll be funneled directly below to the various transit platforms.

And Sixers games aren’t Eagles or Phillies games - tix are expensive, the clientele more diverse and cosmopolitan; there’s not a “tailgate” culture where rowdy people show up 6 hours before tip to slosh back hard seltzers. And anyone who’s read Jane Jacobs knows that “eyes on the street” is certainly FAR safer than what it’s replacing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Oh no, thousands of people in Market East at night with disposable income to spend. You don’t move into the ludlow and then be sad that market is getting less sketch after dark. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your concern. Is it just that there’s going to be too many people in that area?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:06 PM

To play devil's advocate, we shouldn't act like the crowd after the win isn't going to at least partially stick around for the massive entertainment complex they're building next door.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
To play devil's advocate, we shouldn't act like the crowd after the win isn't going to at least partially stick around for the massive entertainment complex they're building next door.
But that’s a HUGE win for East Market. You’d have to be delusional to think that is somehow bad for the area. The people that live in the new developments there moved into a place that made no qualms about it’s desire to be Philly’s time square. They won’t riot over the Sixers moving in.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:37 PM

An Addition and a Sonder Coming to Historic Rittenhouse Building

Current building:

Plans for addition:

Quote:
So what the heck is coming? Plans call for an overbuild atop the seven-story building, rising to a total of ten stories. The addition will be set back from the Chestnut Street side as not to disturb current sight lines, though it will be flush with the Ranstead Street side of the building. We don’t have full details as of yet, but we now know that the first two levels of the building will feature CDI Furniture, a Montréal-based furniture company. The remaining floors will consist of 46 short term stay units from Sonder, a company that’s seemingly everywhere in the city these days.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...house-building

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:39 PM

Permits Extended for Gretz Brewery Reuse in South Kensington

Current site:

Plans for the property:

Quote:
It was just about a year ago when we checked in on the Gretz Brewery at 1524 Germantown Ave. in South Kensington. At the time, developer The Rufo Companies had presented updated renderings for the revamp of the decrepit former brewery, a 200-unit, mixed-use proposal with 48 parking spaces. We had hoped that things would be in progress by now, but so far, it appears that no work has taken place. When we checked out the site, it looked quite similar to when we visited previously.

An extension to the zoning permit for the site was granted last week, which requires a construction permit to be pulled by mid-April 2023. Is this good news? Perhaps, as it does indicate a desire to move forward with the current plans. Had the extension not been issued, it may have been due to a lack of interest by the developer to pursue this project and would have represented a return to square one for the property.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uth-kensington

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:46 PM

Update: Renderings for 352-Unit Mixed-use Project at 42nd & Market

Current site:

Project renderings:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-42nd-market

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:56 PM

YIMBY Shares Extensive Renderings And Diagrams For 4701-15 Wayne Avenue In Germantown

Project renderings:

Quote:
Recently, Philly YIMBY shared several renderings of a four-story, 90-unit residential building planned at 4701-15 Wayne Avenue in Germantown, Northwest Philadelphia. Today we more plans and diagrams for the development, as provided in a Civic Design Review package. Designed by Moto Designshop, the building will span 78,065 square feet and offer elevator service, bicycle storage, a landscaped courtyard, a roof deck, and a green roof.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/27143.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 4:01 PM

Self-Storage Facility Proposed At 2258 East Tioga Street In Port Richmond

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/yimb...ensington.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Extended for Gretz Brewery Reuse in South Kensington

Plans for the property:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uth-kensington
This project makes me so happy. So out of the box, but it'll look amazing when complete. We need more of this and less of JKRP.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 4:20 PM
Midrise

Quote:
This project makes me so happy. So out of the box, but it'll look amazing when complete. We need more of this and less of JKRP.
It will be amazing when Rufo finally gets around to *starting* on it. If the timeline plays out like his paintbrush factory adaptive reuse in South Philly, it might still be years from now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 5:40 PM

Construction Progresses At 2046-50 East Lehigh Avenue In East Kensington

Current progress:

Project rendering:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has revealed that construction continues to make progress at 2046-50 Lehigh Avenue in East Kensington. The building, located on the southwest side of the block between between Frankford Avenue and Amber Street, will rise five stories and feature ground-floor commercial space as well as 21 residential units. Designed by Ambit Architecture, the structure will span 21,168 square feet and will feature parking for seven bicycles. Permits list Grit Construction as the contractor and a construction cost of $2.75 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/cons...ensington.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 2:08 AM

Sorry this might be off topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ohmEP5hOKY

PhilaPort has quite a few proposals for expanding the shipping port. Included is rerouting the Most Southern part of Columbus Blvd and adding new i95 ramps. This is what PhilaPort is proposing

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Sorry this might be off topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ohmEP5hOKY

PhilaPort has quite a few proposals for expanding the shipping port. Included is rerouting the Most Southern part of Columbus Blvd and adding new i95 ramps. This is what PhilaPort is proposing
Wow those are some big plans. I’m all for it, there’s nothing else going on down there. I also like a better connection to 95 down there. The current set up is not good

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 12:33 PM

^ It just keeps going. Is shipping to Philadelphia expected to increase tenfold? Did every other port on the east coast shut down?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development