HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Will we have enough hotels? I’d expect all star games coming here as well.
MLB All Star Games and PGA (Newtown Square).

Maybe Virgin Hotels was waiting for this announcement before moving ahead with a Philly hotel.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Philadelphia is a chosen city for the 2026 World Cup Games!

NYC and Boston are the other cities in the Northeast.
DC didn't make it (I'm secretly chuckling at DC).
I'm not surprise DC/Baltimore didn't make it. FedEx is not a good venue.

I know quite a few people are against this but I would say this should be a net benefit for the city and an opportunity to have Philadelphia displayed internationally

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:29 PM

I keep seeing people mention more hotels for the World Cup, but if it's only a few games, would that justify spending millions or tens of millions on new hotels? Maybe in combination with the centennial idk

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:36 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I'm not surprise DC/Baltimore didn't make it. FedEx is not a good venue.

I know quite a few people are against this but I would say this should be a net benefit for the city and an opportunity to have Philadelphia displayed internationally
The Philly FB group is already brewing with how terrible this will be for the city... I understand general concerns, but the incessant negativity is tiresome to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
I keep seeing people mention more hotels for the World Cup, but if it's only a few games, would that justify spending millions or tens of millions on new hotels? Maybe in combination with the centennial idk
Philadelphia is still on the low side for total hotels/rooms available for a city of its size.
Per my limited knowledge, when hotel brands consider expansion into a market, they sometimes plan to be open by a certain event. So no, brands wouldn't pop up in Philadelphia just for the World Cup, but all the events of 2026 could lead to some brands fast tracking their expansion plans (a plan they already likely had in mind).
Virgin may be an example.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:36 PM
PHL

Did the renovations at 146 N 2nd lose their funding or something?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Any new hotels need to get started soon, especially ones with over 100 rooms to meet the 2026 World Cup games here. This will put Philly in national and international spotlight so hopefully there's a cohesive plan and strategy to give people a great experience once this thing happens.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Any new hotels need to get started soon, especially ones with over 100 rooms to meet the 2026 World Cup games here. This will put Philly in national and international spotlight so hopefully there's a cohesive plan and strategy to give people a great experience once this thing happens.
I'm not sure on the brands of hotels are missing at this point? I know we have smaller boutique have been spring up like Pod. I would love if CizitenM opened a hotel here.
Another other brand hotels on the wishlist?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Philadelphia already has the mlb all star game that year on top of the World Cup. We are also rumored to be getting the nba and nhl all star game that year. The city is also planning a large celebration for the 250yr anniversary. Also expect higher than usual conventions because of that. We’ll need more rooms.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:23 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
I'm not sure on the brands of hotels are missing at this point? I know we have smaller boutique have been spring up like Pod. I would love if CizitenM opened a hotel here.
According to - https://www.discoverphl.com/meet/cho...s-and-figures/

There's 37 brands in Center City and the stats for the numbers of rooms broken down by walking distance. I can't think of one, but we have all the major brands. The smaller boutique you mentioned I've not heard of.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:25 AM
Chris

Quote:
The Edition brand under Marriott! One of my favorite hotel chains. I think Philadelphia would be a great expansion city.

https://www.editionhotels.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
Philadelphia already has the mlb all star game that year on top of the World Cup. We are also rumored to be getting the nba and nhl all star game that year. The city is also planning a large celebration for the 250yr anniversary. Also expect higher than usual conventions because of that. We’ll need more rooms.
And the PGA will have some overflow in the city, though hosted in the burbs.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:12 AM

Anyone who thinks that the World Cup game is a negative for Philly lives under a rock.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
According to - https://www.discoverphl.com/meet/cho...s-and-figures/

There's 37 brands in Center City and the stats for the numbers of rooms broken down by walking distance. I can't think of one, but we have all the major brands. The smaller boutique you mentioned I've not heard of.
JW (Marriott)
Fairmont
Pendry
St Regis
Mandarin Oriental
One
Moxy
Motto
Thompson

I'd also love Hoxton Hotel

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
To join in on the debate about this building, I actually agree with TonyTone in that this building is pretty nice looking and generally pretty contextual.
I'll agree this building look pretty good, but I believe the initial complaint against the building was centered around the curb cut/driveway and it is truly terrible.

Why is it so wide? And so ugly? At the ground level so much of this building is this ugly garage door. And the garage door isn't even to a garage! Why even put a door there if you're gonna make it so ugly, couldn't it have just been open? If they wanted to put a door there for "security" it's pretty idiotic because the same area the garage door leads to has a pretty skimpy, easily hop-able fence just a few feet away from the garage door. So I don't really think the door is securing much.

It also seems to not work well at all, and seemingly residents have no way to open it without getting out of their cars. I walk by often and although I can't imagine many cars are actually parked back there, there is constantly one at the garage door blocking the sidwalk, while a resident tries to open the door.

This is a minor retail corridor, but a retail corridor none the less and it is a few hundred yards away from a subway stop. There never should have been a curb cut.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Two very different opinions. I see good points on both sides, but leaning more toward hit pause (for now). Thoughts?

Should SEPTA build the King of Prussia line? | Pro/Con

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/com...-20220616.html
Truly insane that they'd even consider spending 2 billion on this boondoggle when there are so many things septa could do with 2 billion dollars that would grow ridership so much.

They could start by hiring a few more people to clean the stations. I don't know how many people here actually ride the subway often, but while the smell of shit and urine has been a constant hallmark of SEPTA since time immemorial, things have gotten pretty insane as of late. The amount of human shit I've seen in the subway the past few months has to be some type of all time record. Just yesterday a friend told me she no longer feels safe on the subway and is so disgusted by the condition of it that she takes the bus now instead of the subway.

Setting things up so that passengers don't have jump over literal piles of human shit to ride the subway would increase ridership likely 10x more than this stupid line for .005% of the cost.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 11:19 AM

Would be great if we could attract a hotel with with a Relais & Châteaux designation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Two very different opinions. I see good points on both sides, but leaning more toward hit pause (for now). Thoughts?

Should SEPTA build the King of Prussia line? | Pro/Con

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/com...-20220616.html
Richards defending this thing again? Does anyone else actually believe this is the best use of $2B? My god.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Barcade opening second Philadelphia outpost in historic Center City building

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Barcade is taking to Center City to open its second Philadelphia outpost, which the New York-based company aims to debut by early 2023. The hybrid bar-and-arcade concept is headed to the historic three-story Hale Building at 1326 Chestnut St.
This sounds great, but I'm laughing at the sentence from the article where MCGillin's is called a "concept."

Business Journal's reporters always sound like they're from another planet.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Richards defending this thing again? Does anyone else actually believe this is the best use of $2B? My god.
I know very few people within the Authority who are actually excited about this. I don't believe that this is a good use of our money at all. That money could be put towards extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, restoring service to West Chester (a MUCH more sensible suburban expansion), or the enabling projects required to deliver on the Regional Rail Master Plan, among many other superior uses.

IMO, we should've pursued Schuylkill Valley Metro harder than we actually did. I know that the plan fell apart due to the refusal to toll I-80, but it would've been much more useful than KOP Rail.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:30 PM

Speaking of hotels, has there been any progress on the old Family Court building? It would be great to have that converted to a hotel for all of the 2026 festivities.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I know very few people within the Authority who are actually excited about this. I don't believe that this is a good use of our money at all. That money could be put towards extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, restoring service to West Chester (a MUCH more sensible suburban expansion), or the enabling projects required to deliver on the Regional Rail Master Plan, among many other superior uses.

IMO, we should've pursued Schuylkill Valley Metro harder than we actually did. I know that the plan fell apart due to the refusal to toll I-80, but it would've been much more useful than KOP Rail.
At this point, get on board with the push for service to Phoenixville for a fraction of the cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development