HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:53 PM

I'm also a big fan of the Pier 5 condos next to Cherry Street pier. I think it would be pretty cool if the two piers were converted similarly and had a little green space along the waterfront between the buildings.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I feel like the gas station thing has come and gone. He tried and failed fantastically.

The ball's rolling on the development of the waterfront and I feel like the times call for something grand. He does scare me though.

Don't hate me, but I low-key love that Giant on Columbus Ave, tho.
I don't like that the entrance faces the parking lot. Though I wish there was more protected bike lanes for accessing that Giant.

There is so much development potential for Columbus ave but i95 get's in the way. Hopefully in the come years Columbus Ave can go on a road diet, maybe even a waterfront trolley.

I hope those box stores in south Philly can be redone so that it's more walkable down there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:31 PM

These piers could easily be rehabbed and you could build TWO new construction highrise towers in between the piers. There's enough room for it.

Turn on Pier into something similar to Cherry Street Pier... turn one pier into condos or apartments, and build one condo tower and one apartment tower.

If Blatstein proposes ANYTHING but a dense mixed-use development here then he should be black-balled and banned from Philadelphia Real Estate Development.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:37 PM
Chris

Big news!

Philly City Councilmember Allan Domb resigns ahead of expected run for mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220815.html

The two-term at-large Council member and real estate magnate stopped short of declaring his candidacy for Philadelphia’s top job, but he will be the first elected official in the city to resign from his current post to potentially run for mayor. The city charter requires city officeholders quit their jobs to seek another office.

In an interview with The Inquirer, he said he’s considering running because Philadelphia is a “city in crisis.” He said he hasn’t set a timeline for making a decision and will spend the next several weeks talking to residents and business owners.

“Our city needs a leader, a champion,” said Domb, a Democrat. “You have to love people. You have to want the job. We need a mayor who wants the job.”

In his resignation letter to Clarke Monday, Domb wrote that the city is “at a crossroads” and must enact “common sense and practical solutions to improve the lives of all Philadelphians, prioritizing public safety in a meaningful way.”

“Public safety, by far, is the No. 1 issue,” he said in an interview. “If people don’t feel safe in the city, they’re not going to stay here.”

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
I feel like the gas station thing has come and gone. He tried and failed fantastically.

The ball's rolling on the development of the waterfront and I feel like the times call for something grand. He does scare me though.

Don't hate me, but I low-key love that Giant on Columbus Ave, tho.
The site plan is terrible though. They should've extended Dickinson Street and made it a faux Main Street like King of Prussia Town Center. Move the entrance to the Giant to either Columbus Blvd or Dickinson Street, put all the retail buildings fronting Columbs Blvd. and Dickinson Street, with the one parking lot entrance off of Reed Street, and one parking lot entrance off of Tasker Street.

Then, the new construction townhomes and the apartment building facing the river would extend the site to the River and you'd have a walkable stretch to the river and connecting up with the River trail.

Then, the awful suburban crap from Washigton Ave. down to Tasker between Columbus Blvd. and I-95 could also be redeveloped with denser, more walkable development and Pennsport would finally have a worthy waterfront it's deserving of.....

Instead, we're getting another poorly laid out, suburban crap-heap shopping complex on our waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Big news!

The two-term at-large Council member and real estate magnate stopped short of declaring his candidacy for Philadelphia’s top job, but he will be the first elected official in the city to resign from his current post to potentially run for mayor. The city charter requires city officeholders quit their jobs to seek another office.

In an interview with The Inquirer, he said he’s considering running because Philadelphia is a “city in crisis.” He said he hasn’t set a timeline for making a decision and will spend the next several weeks talking to residents and business owners.

“Our city needs a leader, a champion,” said Domb, a Democrat. “You have to love people. You have to want the job. We need a mayor who wants the job.”

In his resignation letter to Clarke Monday, Domb wrote that the city is “at a crossroads” and must enact “common sense and practical solutions to improve the lives of all Philadelphians, prioritizing public safety in a meaningful way.”

“Public safety, by far, is the No. 1 issue,” he said in an interview. “If people don’t feel safe in the city, they’re not going to stay here.”
Really hope this happens! Domb for Mayor 2023! If Maria or Helen Gym win... we're screwed.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Big news!

Love Domb, but I have to say I'm a little worried. His place is on the Council. He was always one of the more level heads.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Love Domb, but I have to say I'm a little worried. His place is on the Council. He was always one of the more level heads.
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that many people are going to resign to run for mayor, not really because they think they are going to win, but because they don't want to be on city council anymore. IMO Domb looks at it like this: either the people elevate me up to mayor or I lose in the primary and gracefully step aside and out of the spotlight. He's done his duty already.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Really hope this happens! Domb for Mayor 2023! If Maria or Helen Gym win... we're screwed.
Yea. I am worried that Gym will run, because she would be a threat to Domb.
The worst case scenario is that she runs and beats him, and their seats are filled with more noisy do-nothing dingbats like Gym, Gauthier and Sanchez.

Domb will bring the city back to center and he actually cares about making Philadelphia better (similar to Nutter).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that many people are going to resign to run for mayor, not really because they think they are going to win, but because they don't want to be on city council anymore. IMO Domb looks at it like this: either the people elevate me up to mayor or I lose in the primary and gracefully step aside and out of the spotlight. He's done his duty already.
He's only been on Council since 2015. I don't want him to step aside yet. Philadelphia needs more centered Democrats.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
He's only been on Council since 2015. I don't want him to step aside yet. Philadelphia needs more centered Democrats.
Is his seat vacant now? How long until it's filled?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:55 PM
Chris

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Is his seat vacant now? How long until it's filled?
Too early to tell the plan. Per the article...

It was unclear Monday if or when he’d be replaced. City Council President Darrell L. Clarke, who can call for a special election to fill open seats, declined to comment.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:57 PM
Midrise

Piers 38 & 40 historic nomination still pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I wonder if those structures are historically protected.
Quote:
The full article says they tried and failed for historical designation. I can't imagine why it failed. They were built in 1914-1915.
The PBJ article is incorrect on that point; I've sent a clarification to the writer as below:
An important clarification to the following point:
"An effort had been made to place the two piers on Philadelphia's Register of Historical Places but that didn't succeed."

The nomination of the piers is still pending, currently continued by PHC staff to the Nov 30th meeting of the PHC's Committee on Designation. The piers are protected from demolition while the nomination is pending.

Nomination: https://www.phila.gov/media/20211118...nomination.pdf

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I don’t want to see him go either but he is almost 70 years old. We will see who else runs but I don’t think he has the worst odds. A lot of people like him.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:28 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The PBJ article is incorrect on that point; I've sent a clarification to the writer as below:
An important clarification to the following point:
"An effort had been made to place the two piers on Philadelphia's Register of Historical Places but that didn't succeed."

The nomination of the piers is still pending, currently continued by PHC staff to the Nov 30th meeting of the PHC's Committee on Designation. The piers are protected from demolition while the nomination is pending.

Nomination: https://www.phila.gov/media/20211118...nomination.pdf
Article has been corrected:
An effort to place the two piers on Philadelphia's Register of Historical Places is pending before the Philadelphia Historical Commission.
[snip]

Correction/Clarification
An earlier version of the story indicated that an effort to put the piers on the Philadelphia Register of Historical Places didn't succeed. That is incorrect. The matter is pending.

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 15, 2022 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:32 PM

^Nice! Thanks for the info Jayfar.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:09 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

2 projects going on at the same time on 1300 N Randolph

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
If he knocked down the historic piers for a strip mall

Thankfully I don't think there's much of a chance for that.

I have long contemplated what should go there and I'm still of the opinion that Philly should go all in on a pair of tourist piers. A mix of a bit of Navy Pier in Chicago with a bit of Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Especially with the impending Penn's Landing remodel that in theory will displace the 'carnival' section of the current Penn's Landing setup. The Delaware riverfront has so so so much untapped potential. Spruce Harbor, Cherry St., and Race St. piers are a fantastic start.
I think the city's in desperate need of a Chelsea Piers-style sports complex. Or a Berlin-style Beach Bar and pool barge.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think the city's in desperate need of a Chelsea Piers-style sports complex. Or a Berlin-style Beach Bar and pool barge.
Both are fantastic ideas imo.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I’ve been calling for, at the very least, a driving range on the Delaware someplace near Center City for 20years…. It would make a killing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development