HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Ça va, je suis en forme. T'inquiètes.

J'ai eu le Covid. Récemment, j'ai même eu une infection dans mes yeux qui m'a foutu de la conjonctivite.
Mes yeux sont injectés de sang... Ça me foutait le trouille quand je me regardais dans la glace. Je n'avais pas eu un truc pareil depuis l'enfance.
Je ne sais absolument pas comment j'ai chopé un truc pareil. Je pense que j'ai dû me toucher les yeux alors qu'il y avait quelque-chose de mauvais sur mes mains.
L'ophtalmo m'a donné un antibiotique. C'est pas grave. Ça n'agresse pas la cornée des yeux, mais ça me trouble encore la vue à cause des sécrétions de la bactérie ou du virus.

Je ne suis pas habitué aux problèmes de santé, alors autant te dire que ça m'a sérieusement gonflé.
Mais ça va. C'est en train de guérir.

Je ne suis pas fan des antibiotiques. Je trouve que les médecins en prescrivent trop parce que leurs patients le leur demandent. Mais en l'occurrence, celui-là m'est utile.
Oulala. Bon courage. Au moins tu sembles être sur la voie du rétablissement.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I assume most of the inner city Appalachian enclaves could be characterized as white slum areas.

West Side of Cincy, Southwest Detroit (though mostly Mexican nowadays), South Side of Flint. Probably every Ohio city of some size has an Appalachian legacy enclave.
I would say this is probably true. The South and West sides of Columbus have pretty big Appalachian populations.

Though now gentrifying, Franklinton- the neighborhood due west of Downtown Columbus, is/was a pretty slummy Appalachian neighborhood. I'm sure there are others in Cbus.

Cincinnati has a few Appalachian ghettos. Lower Price Hill is a mix of Appalachians, Blacks, and Hispanics, though I think majority Appalachian. Up the hill in East Price Hill you have the same general mix. Some blocks are slummy, some look quite nice.

I'm sure Cleveland, Dayton, and Toledo have their own similar areas, but I don't know any off hand.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:13 PM

Cleveland might be an example of a city where whites in the city are less likely to have degrees than in the suburbs. West Side of Cleveland is still very WWC and there aren't really any affluent areas in Cleveland proper at all AFAIK.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That's because 'white' is a loose term for Caucasian which basically means anyone with European, North African, Middle Eastern, South Asian and Central Asian (the Caucuses) decent.
Well yeah, particularly in the U.S. context, where the most important part about being white tends to be not being black, with everything else being more or less permissible.

The U.S. has a long history of accepting people of MENA background as being "white ethnic" though - particularly if they were from Christian minority groups and assimilated when they came to the U.S. No one ever really considered Ralph Nader or Helen Thomas to be people of color after all. And a Turk like Dr. Oz is absolutely seen as white.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 10:30 PM

FWIW, Statistics Canada has Arab, West Asian and Latin American visible minority categories. But those who tick off white as well as one of these categories is not considered a visible minority as would be the case with Black and white, or white and Chinese responses. So there's a recognition of their "middling" or contested status.

Last edited by Docere; Feb 14, 2022 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 10:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

My gut says that majority of Detroit's "white" population today probably lives in the yuppie enclaves (Midtown, Corktown, East English Village), where they are probably the majority. There are also a lot of "whites" in the historically upper middle class neighborhoods (Boston-Edison, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest), where they are not a majority but a visible minority.

here's census 2020 white alone % by tract for the city of detroit.

there are 3 tracts in the city that get above 60% white: downtown, and the two out by dearborn.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 14, 2022 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 11:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Well yeah, particularly in the U.S. context, where the most important part about being white tends to be not being black, with everything else being more or less permissible.

The U.S. has a long history of accepting people of MENA background as being "white ethnic" though - particularly if they were from Christian minority groups and assimilated when they came to the U.S. No one ever really considered Ralph Nader or Helen Thomas to be people of color after all. And a Turk like Dr. Oz is absolutely seen as white.
If they pass as white. If someone is Middle Eastern or South Asian and look Middle Eastern or South Asian, they won't really be viewed as white.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 11:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

As my dark and beautiful olive-skinned Sicilian-American wife likes to say, "I may be "white", but I'm certainly not Reese Witherspoon white."

She's heard everything from Mexican to Spanish to Middle Eastern to Indian.

One thing she'll never be mistaken for: Scandinavian.

The lines can get pretty damn blurry.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
here's census 2020 white alone % by tract for the city of detroit.

there are 3 tracts in the city that get above 60% white: downtown, and the two out by dearborn.

The tracts near Dearborn are all heavily Middle Eastern. And the tracts near Hamtramck are lightly populated Hamtramck overflow. Probably Yemeni.

So yeah, it appears Detroit has a tiny European-originating NHW population. When people think of "white Detroiters" they probably imagine hipsters or 90-yo fringe holdouts, but it's just as likely they're Yemeni (who generally don't look "white").

And none of the affluent non-core Detroit neighborhoods appear to have a sizable white minority, at least not as of the last decennial Census. Those are mostly in Northwest Detroit. That's the most prosperous non-core side of town, where abandonment is pretty uncommon, retail strips are at least functional, and most streets and homes are well-tended. 7 Mile & Livernois is probably the epicenter of non-core prosperity.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post

Cincinnati has a few Appalachian ghettos. Lower Price Hill is a mix of Appalachians, Blacks, and Hispanics, though I think majority Appalachian. Up the hill in East Price Hill you have the same general mix. Some blocks are slummy, some look quite nice.
It's amazing that we're now solidly in the 2020s and some of these people are still around in those exact same areas. The numbers have definitely diminished, but there are still a handful of these people on Eastern Ave. and Linwood, even as $1 million houses go up all around them. I guess some of these people own their dilapidated homes and are stubbornly refusing to sell, for whatever reason.

Eastern Ave. (now Riverside) is a very popular bicycling street and it's comical biking past these people and hearing their arguments, barking dogs, etc. They're literally right across the street from millionaires but they are entirely shameless.

We just had a mother and son in jail at the same time for different murder charges:
https://local12.com/news/local/mothe...ths-cincinnati

The son ran over a prominent local attorney who was bicycling and the mom (who is only about 15 years older) shot somebody.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions