HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Would argue that 8th and Fig has turned out better than the renders. The glass on this one is of a startlingly high quality. My only complaint is that I would prefer is the balconies were recessed, but that's a minor quibble to direct towards the design of an overall lovely tower.
Absolutely agreed. This tower looks wonderful in person

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Glass always looks better in the renderings. They always glow supernaturally and the structures always looks grander in the renderings, the people smaller. But the difference in glass between reality and rendering in this case is less egregious than the infamous green glass that is almost always used in reality.
Yeah the lighting isn't even the same so you can't really judge render vs reality based on those images. In those renders you have dark masses reflecting a very bright and colorful sky in the golden hour, and the real thing can very well look like that under the right lighting conditions. In fact, if you saw the skyline pic I posted earlier, the entire city can glow supernaturally under the right light .

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 8:46 PM

8th Grand/Hope tower, also by Mitsui, is going in front of the DTLA Neighborhood Council today (10/18/22) and prepared a presentation with amusingly low-res renderings. (Or maybe they're higher and the NC ultra compressed it for upload/email)

https://dlanc.com/wp-content/uploads...tion-10-18.pdf

Timeline update:
Quote:
4Q2022 EIR Published
1Q2023 Zoning Administrator Hearing Officer Hearing
2Q2023 Planning Commission, PLUM, City Council
2024 Commence Construction
2027 Complete Construction
Also noted that expected completion of 8th & Fig is 3Q2023.

Some neat callouts - for example garage conversion to 189 residential units (presumably after DTLA 2040 and depending on anticipated demand)

And "public cafe" planned for both corners on Grand & Hope st

I don't think much in the presentation is really new, but some other pics I liked

City planning application was also uploaded, but you can find that on city planning websites if you want by searching the case number. (CPC-2017-505-TDR-ZV-SPPA-DD-SPR)
https://dlanc.com/wp-content/uploads....-8th-St.-.pdf

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:25 PM

I like the massing and scale of 8th Grand/Hope.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:30 PM

Incredible!

The submitted plan says max height of 592 feet. Is that above ground? Or total building height including any underground construction too?

Also, is this apartments? Condos? Mixed use?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:46 PM
你的媽媽

One of the best disguised podiums I've seen to date. I like the tapering to keep it from being too bulky as well as the MCM vibe. Hopefully they can bring down the parking a bit though given the 7th St/Metro Center station is literally right there.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:52 PM

I love this project. Makes me think of of a stack of LADWP buildings! Can't wait to see it rise.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:54 PM

That's really stunning! Plus, you know Mitsui likely won't value engineer given what we're seeing them currently build.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:41 PM

I've been waiting on this one for a while. Its such a game changer and would make a massive difference in the area. Its beautiful and I love that they are planning to turn the parking onto residential in the future.

Was there any mention of a ground breaking?

Edale, good call on the comparison

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 11:24 PM

^Agreed, has some mid-century inspiration... which is a good thing!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I've been waiting on this one for a while. Its such a game changer and would make a massive difference in the area. Its beautiful and I love that they are planning to turn the parking onto residential in the future.

Was there any mention of a ground breaking?

Edale, good call on the comparison
Just "2024" per the timeline slide. A previous slide mentions 2023. but I'm guessing that's an error or they meant very late 2023 or Q1 2024.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:55 AM

Part of me wishes they would round the corners on Grand/Hope, feels like it would look a little more future proof.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:26 PM

^ As with mitsui's apt proj at 8th & Fig, their other tower at 8th & grand will finally deal with a parking lot I've long wanted to see filled in. Only bad thing about early news of projs like those, however, is now having to wait & wonder if timelines will stay on schedule.

Another parking lot, at 2nd & Hill St, east of Grand LA, hopefully won't be affected by budgets, inflation, supply chain issues. But they're now implying that in just the past several months the size of the colburn concert hall has been downsized.....I hope the writer or publicists are misreading design specs.

Quote:

realdeal.com

The Colburn School, an acclaimed private music and performing arts school in Downtown L.A., has filed plans for a campus expansion project designed by Frank Gehry’s architecture firm. The school plans to build a 76,00-square-foot, six-story educational building, called the Colburn Center, that also includes an 1,100-seat concert hall and a smaller dance studio and rooftop terrace.

Gehry and the school announced the project partnership and unveiled some design plans at a press conference in March, although the project application hadn’t yet been filed with the city. Seljuk Kardan, the school’s president and CEO, then filed the project application in late August, and it was recorded with the planning department last week.

The 76,000-square-foot proposal appears to be a reduction from the plans unveiled earlier this year, which called the project a 100,000-square-foot expansion.

meanwhile, across the street....

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 5:37 PM
DENNAB

Excellent news about Mitsui, great building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:14 AM

Colburn School files plans for expansion project in DTLA

The Frank Gehry-designed project is slated to break ground next year

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
October 19, 2022

A groundbreaking date remains off on the horizon, but the Colburn School has taken an important administrative step toward building its Frank Gehry-designed expansion: filing its plans with the City of Los Angeles.

An application submitted this month to the Department of City Planning offers up new details regarding the long-awaited project, which would rise from a site bounded by 2nd Street to the south, Olive Street to the west, and Hill Street to the east. The new Performing Arts Education Building is described as a six-story, approximately 76,117-square-foot structure which would rise approximately 112 feet in height. Plans also call for the creation of a 6,181-square-foot public plaza at the northeast corner of 2nd and Hill Streets.

The centerpiece of the expansion is a large new concert hall, which would be used for accommodating orchestra, opera, dance, and musical theater performances. According to a plan set included with the entitlement filing, the hall would have seating for approximately 1,077 people. A second, smaller space for dance performances, planned for the third floor, would have seating capacity for 111 people. Other interior spaces include student locker rooms, dressing rooms, management offices, and dance studios.

At the exterior of building, the new street-level plaza would open on to Hill, with room for outdoor seating and a water feature. That space would connect to the higher elevation at Olive Street through a staircase, connecting to a lobby, outdoor gathering area above the 2nd Street tunnel, and a rooftop garden.

Gehry's design for the Colburn expansion has been scaled back from a larger proposal first revealed in 2020. According to the Los Angeles Times, this change reflects budget realities, evidenced by a facade of metal in lieu of shimmering glass.

Earlier this year, the Colburn announced that construction of the project is expected to begin in 2023. The Colburn Center could host its first performances as early as Fall 2025.

Though officially a separate project, The Colburn's expansion would complement the various components of the neighboring Grand Avenue project, which includes Grand Park, the Emerson apartment tower, The Broad contemporary art museum, and the new Conrad hotel and Grand by Gehry Residences across Olive. A future phase of the Grand Avenue Project - a joint effort between developer Related Cos. and the City and County of Los Angeles - would transform the surface parking lot which borders the Colburn Center property to the east. Those uses also expand upon an existing "cultural corridor," along Grand Avenue, which also includes the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Music Center, and the Gehry-designed Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:17 AM

And the renderings:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:26 AM

Black developers refuse to work with De León on $1.6-billion Angels Landing project

Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
October 20, 2022

Black real estate developers behind the proposed $1.6-billion Angels Landing project in downtown Los Angeles said that they refuse to continue working with City Councilman Kevin De León, in light of the secretly taped racist conversation he took part in, saying they now fear he holds a racial bias against them and has been stalling city approvals.

In a letter to then-acting Council President Mitch O’Farrell Friday, two of the country’s most prominent Black builders, Victor MacFarlane and R. Donahue Peebles, called for De León to resign.

They said in an interview that another councilmember should oversee the approval process for the skyscraper residential and hotel complex they want to build on Bunker Hill and complete in time for the 2028 Olympics.

The project, next to the historic Angels Flight funicular railway, is in De León’s district, and it may not receive the go-ahead from City Hall without his support. But De León and former Council President Nury Martinez — who resigned last week for her role in the scandal — have declined to meet with them to discuss the project for several months, they said.

“We knew they were slow-walking us,” Peebles said in an interview. “It’s like we had leprosy.

“We’ve been trying to meet with De León for seven-plus months,” he said. “We could see Biden or Newsom sooner.”

A representative for De León, Pete Brown, dismissed the developers’ objections as a negotiating tactic. He said the councilman does not routinely meet with developers, to avoid the appearance of favoritism or bias. His predecessor Jose Huizar is accused of orchestrating a pay-to-play scheme by agreeing to accept $1.5 million in bribes from developers who sought his favorable votes to support their projects. Huizar has pleaded not guilty to racketeering, bribery and other charges.

Brown said the developers are using the leaked recording to pressure the councilman to agree to terms that may not benefit public interests.

“The notion that any delays of this project are due to the councilmember and not the developer’s inability to provide a proposal that meets the standards of the City of Los Angeles and the California Redevelopment Agency is outrageous,” Brown said.

“Despite this deeply cynical ploy to give themselves a favorable advantage in negotiations, the council office is committed to continue to work with other city offices toward an agreement that brings a mixed-use project to this long vacant site; following our policy of substantially increasing the provision of affordable housing in all major projects.”

De León, who has two years left in his City Council term, has not publicly commented since he expressed regret after the story broke Oct. 9.

The surreptitiously recorded October 2021 conversation captured Councilmembers Gil Cedillo, Martinez and De León discussing redistricting with a top county labor leader, Ron Herrera. While Martinez made the most overtly racist comments, a chorus of one-time allies and supporters are calling on De León and Cedillo to step down, including Mayor Eric Garcetti and President Biden.

The developers say they now suspect racism was a factor in their inability to connect with De León.

In Friday’s letter, they wrote that De León “met with us exactly once on March 28, 2022, for a mere 15 minutes” prior to a news conference the developers held to announce they had secured city land use entitlements and agreements with hotel and building trades unions.

“As two African Americans who have spent their careers championing inclusiveness, we find his actions offensive to ourselves and the number of dignified, qualified, respectable, and proud individuals of our culture.”

The response that it’s not De León’s policy to have direct contact with builders came as a surprise to Peebles, he said.

“Every time we asked to meet with him they said he is not available, not ready to meet at this time or we will get back to you,” Peebles said. “They never indicated it’s because he doesn’t meet with developers.”

The developers acknowledge that De León’s staff has met with them as they try to advance the project and reach agreements on sticking points such as tax breaks for hotel development and a provision for the city to repurchase the property at an agreed-on price if city officials decide to stop the project. But progress on large-scale development typically requires personal contact with top civic leaders and the principals of the project, Peebles said, and is a matter of course in other cities where he builds. De León has not consented to a phone call or meeting in person or online, he said.

“It’s inexplicable,” Peebles said. “He’s either grossly incompetent, negligent or he is saying Black people have too much.”
. . . .

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:54 PM

Thumbs down

Re: KDL.

Truly inexcusable. Not only is the man racist, but he has been worse than completely MIA in this district.

He might tank one of the skyline defining projects through his ineptitude.

I know he literally just said he won't resign, but I hope the pressure on him to goes to an 11.

I cannot wait to put my signature to a recall effort.

I used to think I couldn't dislike a city councilor more than Koretz, but turns out it is my very own councilor.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 4:16 PM
你的媽媽

I was wondering if the news of those councilmembers racist comments would have any effect on any projects or developments in LA.

On a side note, I do wonder how much and how often city councilmembers should be meeting with developers. Seven months is obviously a ridiculously long time to wait for a meeting especially in a housing shortage, while on the opposite end of the spectrum, taking bribes to push certain projects through is also not favorable. I'm sure these folks receive pressure and bribes from developers all the time. What is considered a reasonable and ethical middle ground here?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I was wondering if the news of those councilmembers racist comments would have any effect on any projects or developments in LA.

On a side note, I do wonder how much and how often city councilmembers should be meeting with developers. Seven months is obviously a ridiculously long time to wait for a meeting especially in a housing shortage, while on the opposite end of the spectrum, taking bribes to push certain projects through is also not favorable. I'm sure these folks receive pressure and bribes from developers all the time. What is considered a reasonable and ethical middle ground here?
To completely remove the councilor from being the key cog in the approval process. They treat their district as their own little fiefdom when it comes to development and can either be tempted by bribes but let things move forward encouraging development (huizar) or sit in development for ridiculous reasons like insane amounts of inclusionary housing, nimbyism, labor agreements, public benefits etc (KDL). Neither of these is good, and the middle ground is good which is predicable, standardized, modern zoning that allows by-right development of the scale that DTLA deserves while balancing the “penciling out” of quality projects that aren’t completely value engineer and public benefits like parks and inclusionary zoning.

This is what DTLA 2040 *should* do, but from the public comments I listened into KDL was trying to neuter it from a base + bonus system (like the very successful Transit oriented development structure in LA) to an across the board inclusionary zoning requirement which a huge % affordable which sounds nice in theory… until you realize it will just make it that nothing gets built and DTLA’s progress flounders.

We really gotta get rid of this guy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations