HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 10:27 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 11:00 PM

A bad day to take picture, but I did it anyway.

Peace out..

DSC_01151 by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

DSC_0115 by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

DSC_0169 by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

DSC_0119 by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

DSC_0152 by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 1:20 AM

^great pictures!

^^^I'm skeptical too, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It is right near Ocean Wide which is a similar height and only a block from the Mack Urban site. Plus the company has built a lot of stuff in San Francisco's south side which is what South Park is becoming.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:37 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Crescent Heights is also the developer behind the Palladium towers in Hollywood that the NII and Hollywood AIDS Foundation are trying their damndest to fight. They're also responsible for The Remington on Wilshire, the Regatta in Marina del Rey, and a lot of other projects in San Francisco, Chicago, and Atlanta. So they've got the track record.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:01 AM

^I am hoping for a larger version of their Jasper or NEMA in San Francisco. Slanted roof, dark glass, simple, but some variety in materials, etc. I am just really pumped about this news, this is a bigger deal then any project in LA besides for maybe Angel's Knoll and the Arts District towers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:01 AM

Park Hyatt coming to Oceanwide Plaza

http://urbanize.la/post/park-hyatt-c...ceanwide-plaza

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:59 PM
BANNED

That is mostly good stuff. Of course the best solution is to just kill parking minimums all together.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:21 PM

How Glendale Sewage Turns Downtown’s Newest Park Green

Quote:
DTLA - After two and a half years of work, the $20 million Los Angeles State Historic Park is nearly ready to open. That’s clear to anyone who drives by and sees the green grass sprouting where once beige dirt proliferated.

The property stretches along Spring Street in Chinatown, comprising 32 acres of undulating, picturesque landscape. The delay-plagued project is creating new amenities, including a visitor’s center, and attractions such as a pedestrian bridge offering sweeping views. A wetlands area will anchor the north end of the park.

For now, however, the gates remain locked. The reason is simple: The California Department of State Parks is literally waiting for the grass to grow.

Ensuring that happens amid a historic drought is no easy task.

Many parks, golf courses and other large green spaces have dedicated pipelines for their irrigation systems. That’s not the case here.

If you have seen a tanker truck slowly rumbling onto the park site over the past several months, there’s a good chance that it was filled with water. The State Parks department has been using three trucks to deliver approximately 16 loads a day, every day. It amounts to 60,000-80,000 gallons daily, and it is pumped into storage tanks that feed the irrigation system.

All that water is still only enough for eight acres, specifically the large expanse of turf at the heart of the property. A second phase of watering through the autumn will feed native plant meadows around the edges of the park.

“The turf and plants can’t be transplanted, they need to be established on site,” said Brian Dewey, State Parks assistant director for acquisition and development. “We’re bringing in water, but the key is that because we’re in an emergency drought situation, we can only use reclaimed water.”

The trucks shuttle back and forth between the park and a pumping station about a mile away. The real source, however, lies seven miles away in Glendale.

Tucked into an industrial block on the east bank of the Los Angeles River, just across from Griffith Park, is the L.A.-Glendale Water Reclamation Facility. Reclaimed water is basically water that has been recycled out of raw sewage using a series of filtering processes. It’s not drinkable, but it is a critical resource for uses such as irrigating golf courses or filling toilets.

The L.A.-Glendale plant was the first reclamation site for Los Angeles when it opened in 1976. Today it processes approximately 17 million gallons of sewage a day, resulting in a daily average of 5.5 million gallons of recycled water. Another 8.7 million gallons of treated water is dumped back into the Los Angeles River to keep it flowing.

“We put that sewage through primary treatment, which filters out a lot of solids and particulates, then a secondary biological treatment that reduces the nutrient content,” said Michael Ruiz, operations superintendent of the city Dept. of Sanitation’s water reclamation division. “There’s a tertiary filtering process to make it usable. Altogether, it removes ammonia, heavy metals and pathogens that would kill plants.”

The trucks won’t shuttle water indefinitely. State Parks is building a temporary pipeline to divert water from the widening of the nearby North Spring Street Bridge. The six-inch-diameter steel pipe will run south through the bridge site, then underground and west along Aurora Street to the northeast corner of the park.

Once the bridge is completed, the water main will be extended to feed the park permanently. The cooler weather and expected rains should taper off irrigation amounts in the next month or two, Dewey added.

The park itself was designed with water conservation in mind; in addition to drought-resistant plants, it features an underground cistern, bioswales (or landscaping elements that collect and naturally filter runoff water), and permeable paving on the parking lots, all with the purpose of harvesting rain water.

Using it efficiently is a task suited for computer programs. “The irrigation equipment itself utilizes rain and moisture sensors that are cutting edge and can track water very precisely,” Dewey said.

For now, the waiting and watering continue. L.A. State Historic Park is already looking quite sharp, and it has the sewage of Glendale and the East San Fernando Valley to thank for it.
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/h...1d50a7475.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
That is mostly good stuff. Of course the best solution is to just kill parking minimums all together.
The problem I see with eliminating podiums is they really fix two issues. Most obvious is parking, but they also help with the issue that most people don't want to move into a high rise and live on the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th floor. It really allows developers to maximize the amount they can charge. Can you imagine moving into a 50 story and living on the second floor?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
The problem I see with eliminating podiums is they really fix two issues. Most obvious is parking, but they also help with the issue that most people don't want to move into a high rise and live on the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th floor. It really allows developers to maximize the amount they can charge. Can you imagine moving into a 50 story and living on the second floor?
Yeah Im against banning podiums altogether. If we want to give FAR bonuses to developers who build underground though I think thats good policy relative to the status quo. In the meantime podiums really are a necessary evil, and in the long run the best way to get rid of them is to craft a city where car ownership isn't the primary means of transit.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:15 AM

I don't understand why elimination or reduction of guest parking requirements isn't being explored as one of the options listed. It seems like one of the simplest things to change in our current code. Currently I think guest parking requires 1 space per 10 units downtown and denser neighborhoods and 1 per 4 in others. Eliminate them downtown and within 1 mile of all transit and BRT stations. Make them 1 per 10-20 everywhere else.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I don't understand why elimination or reduction of guest parking requirements isn't being explored as one of the options listed. It seems like one of the simplest things to change in our current code. Currently I think guest parking requires 1 space per 10 units downtown and denser neighborhoods and 1 per 4 in others. Eliminate them downtown and within 1 mile of all transit and BRT stations. Make them 1 per 10-20 everywhere else.
Are you sure about that requirement? My newish apartment building doesn't have any guest parking. Ten50 said that they will have 8 spaces total, which is only one per 18 units.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Are you sure about that requirement? My newish apartment building doesn't have any guest parking. Ten50 said that they will have 8 spaces total, which is only one per 18 units.
Not very sure. How many units is your apartment building? I don't think you need any if your building has less than like 10 or so. Ten50 must have gotten a variance. The rules on development are all pretty flexible downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:25 AM
BANNED

When was that regulation put in place? He could live in an older building that wasn't subject to it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Not very sure. How many units is your apartment building? I don't think you need any if your building has less than like 10 or so. Ten50 must have gotten a variance. The rules on development are all pretty flexible downtown.
Over 200 units.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
ps. forgot to add I miss Hunter on the site.
He was one of the regulars to this thread who helped activate it during those various occasions when a lull developed. Not sure why he has since bowed out.

he sometimes could be quite down on LA....on dtla....& would be the opposite extreme of a booster who sees nothing wrong with the city. That struck me as ironic for a person dependent on, or seemingly enthusiastic about, taking pics of the city. But his photos always enlivened this thread nonetheless.

in the meantime, I'm quite relieved that one of the major gaps of dt has now been filled in....

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:46 AM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:30 PM

^ In Cesar90's video you can see the spire of the Wilshire Grand at night with some lighting... I wonder what the final lighting will look like. Because as of now it only really reaches the first portion of the spire.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:22 AM

I realize that this forum does not like comparisons to other cities (and this image is from an article about Seattle), but this graphic shows that L.A. is doing quite well at the moment.

Article - http://www.seattletimes.com/business...other-us-city/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations