HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:07 PM

I am not an expert on structural design or construction, but such a slender tower would be very expensive to build and consider such a small amount of square footage built. To make a profit the developer must need to charge a lot on a per square foot basis. Who is prepared to buy in that area at those kinds of prices? Remember 5OH has scaled down because of their uncertainty about the area. I mean come on folks, remember that the residences at the Ritz Carleton had a hell of a time selling their condominiums.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:14 PM

^ I doubt that tower will go through in that form, but I do think something could be said about the fact that whole neighborhood is completely different then it was 10 years ago. Plus Pershing Square is changing and will probably bring a lot of new life to that area, and in reality DTLA is becoming a place for the super rich to live. Look at New York, areas that 10 years ago were in a bad condition are now booming, I think the same is happening to LA right now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:28 PM
life is good

Saw this on the opposite corner this morning (they now have more equipment on site but still doesn't appear to be a full digging contingent - maybe soil testing?)

4th and Broadway downtown la by robb, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^ I doubt that tower will go through in that form, but I do think something could be said about the fact that whole neighborhood is completely different then it was 10 years ago. Plus Pershing Square is changing and will probably bring a lot of new life to that area, and in reality DTLA is becoming a place for the super rich to live. Look at New York, areas that 10 years ago were in a bad condition are now booming, I think the same is happening to LA right now.
Indeed. Prices in my building seem to keep going up and up. Don't forget that dtla has added numerous amenities (restaurants, bars, retail, Whole Foods etc) and continues to add them at a breakneck pace, adding to the desirability of the neighborhood. And the rapid transit expansion (most of which leads to dtla) continues unabated

Last edited by Eightball; Oct 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I found this rendering of the Pershing Square tower on the LA Times.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-57f6e1f4/t...to/750/750x422
It raises the DTLA's architecture game, but I can just see drunk party people falling to their deaths, without some type of guard rail. Also, the fear factor will probably turn off a lot of potential buyers.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:42 PM

Delete

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Holy shit! This is gorgeous!

This better be happening, and not some attempt to sell the lot.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I don't know if this was posted yet, but it's news that will warm our hearts:

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/p...d60a0d643.html
This all sounds great minus the "minimum project size" requirement.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It raises the DTLA's architecture game, but I can just see drunk party people falling to their deaths, without some type of guard rail. Also, the fear factor will probably turn off a lot of potential buyers.
I hate it for Pershing Square, looks flimsy & lego-like, more appropriate for Century City. Instead, build a mixed use (residential/hotel/office/retail) neo Art-Deco tower, similar to a much taller Richfield Oil tower. That would be majestic. 80 stories, 950' roof with a 300' spire, 1250' total. L.A.'s Empire State Building. "Make no little plans"--Burnham.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:28 PM
Ascension

Can you get off this 80 story Richfield kick? It's not going to happen.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:43 PM

^^I agree that it is too thin, but rebuilding the Richfield tower would just be dumb. I think it is a fine proposal it just needs more built around it to balance it out.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:54 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^^I agree that it is too thin, but rebuilding the Richfield tower would just be dumb. I think it is a fine proposal it just needs more built around it to balance it out.
I'm not going to form an opinion on this tower based solely on this very early rendering. It needs refinement yes but the idea of something great is there. I see the influence 56 Leonard in NYC has had on this building.

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/...08_chdem_1.jpg

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 10:15 PM

There are many practical reasons why this will never get made.

1. The foundation work for such a tall narrow tower cannot be done directly under the building. You'd need a wider footprint.

2. The cost of building the foundation and the complex engineering to balance all of that water shifting back and forth in the event of an earthquake would make each unit prohibitively expensive.

3. What lender would fund such a risky project?

4. As pointed out, there are many impractical issues with diving board pools. People falling out of them. Water splashing out below them. Evaporation would mean very expensive to fill. Maintenance would be expensive and difficult.

Clearly this is a publicity stunt of some sort.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:40 PM

Warner music group to move into Ford Factory building in early 2018.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-arts-district

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 12:11 AM

As intriguing as the Jenga tower looks it just screams, "top of the real estate cycle."

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:13 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Ha! Bobcat may be right, but only time will tell. The Fed raising interest rates - which is expected - would start to stack the deck against this financially.

While I'd also be the first to make the comparison to 56 Leonard in NY, we should be very honest with ourselves: CallisonRTKL is no Herzog and de Meuron. Not even close. So let's hope that if this gets built, let's hope they make this their pièce de résistance, and we actually get something we're proud of.

On the topic of the structural feasibility of the building, it's certainly feasible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnspy View Post
1. The foundation work for such a tall narrow tower cannot be done directly under the building. You'd need a wider footprint.
There is a 1,400 ft. supertall under construction in NY at the moment on a lot not much larger than this one, if not a bit smaller. So the precedence is there. NY is not in as extreme of a seismic zone as LA is, but this tower is half the height, so I'd wager the engineering of this has been at least thought through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnspy View Post
2. The cost of building the foundation and the complex engineering to balance all of that water shifting back and forth in the event of an earthquake would make each unit prohibitively expensive.
I won't argue the expense of building this - which is a valid point - but the water in the pools would probably act almost like a bunch of little tuned mass dampers. The water itself won't be attached to the structure, so it will move in the opposite direction, actually making the structure more stable. Now, the water spilling out during a larger earthquake is another matter altogether, but that would be addressed in the permit phase anyway.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ It's not that unique. It's very similar to 56 Leonard in NY. Which in my opinion is not a bad thing. I'd love to see how they pull this off structurally.
Just because there are a few around the globe, doesn't meant that it's not technically unique.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ It's not that unique. It's very similar to 56 Leonard in NY. Which in my opinion is not a bad thing. I'd love to see how they pull this off structurally.
As long as you're willing to ignore the freaking swimming pools sticking out of the side of the building, sure.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Just because there are a few around the globe, doesn't meant that it's not technically unique.
Colemonkee is corret. It isn't unique.. Not even in New York.
Take a look at 432 Park Avenue..

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:36 AM

432 park is a straight box with zero cantilevers. This thing does look a bit like a combination of 56 Leonard(Jenga) and 432 park (windows), but those two buildings don't really look alike at all. Either way this thing is at least somewhat unique, this tall jenga building style with the abundance of cantilevers is a relatively new phenomenon with few examples, many of which are actually u/c. I'll gladly take it, it's more interesting than a plain glass box, which whenever proposed somehow escapes criticism of its originality nearly every time.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
432 park is a straight box with zero cantilevers. This thing does look a bit like a combination of 56 Leonard(Jenga) and 432 park (windows), but those two buildings don't really look alike at all. Either way this thing is at least somewhat unique, this tall jenga building style with the abundance of cantilevers is a relatively new phenomenon with few examples, many of which are actually u/c. I'll gladly take it, it's more interesting than a plain glass box, which whenever proposed somehow escapes criticism of its originality nearly every time.
Sorry, I guess I was not clear enough.

What you wrote made no sense. You find that kind of building everywhere. The base is not a problem at all.
So he was right to help you out. I hope that didn't sound too arrogant.

edit...

It wasn't even you.
So many "new" user here.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Oct 8, 2016 at 3:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations