HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:34 PM

Tony Romas announced this morning that they'll be closing their Regina location. Can't imagine it won't be the only restaurant not opening June 8th.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Tony Romas announced this morning that they'll be closing their Regina location. Can't imagine it won't be the only restaurant not opening June 8th.
I'm not surprised to hear this. Any time I've ever been by here, it's seemed like a ghost town inside. Its finest days were about 15 years ago.

I suspect this was coming within a year or two at most even without the pandemic.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. I have been a long time customer and will miss their delicious ribs. It has never been busy when we go. We usually sit in the lounge to eat and it is never too busy. The dining room is pretty empty every time we go. Just curious, where did you hear about it closing?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. I have been a long time customer and will miss their delicious ribs. It has never been busy when we go. We usually sit in the lounge to eat and it is never too busy. The dining room is pretty empty every time we go. Just curious, where did you hear about it closing?
Their Facebook page.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Both of their Saskatoon locations closed over the last 2 years, so this might have happened even without COVID.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Their Facebook page.
Thank you yveseluj. I have heard of Facebook but I am not a user of it.

You are right about wondering what other establishments will close (including retail). I am afraid the carnage is going to be bad. So many were barely hanging on prior covid-19. I am sure chains will also reassess the need for multiple locations.

It is unfortunate that delivery services such as Skip the Dishes, take a huge bite out of the profits. Ask any restaurant manager. It's shocking.

Now, more than ever, please shop local.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:35 PM

Regina restaurant Avenue planning to wait before reopening

https://www.cjme.com/2020/05/22/one-...ore-reopening/

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:41 PM

I was going to say that Avenue isn't opening yet, but isn't gone, but there's the link already.

Bushwakker has a notice on their homepage of intention to re-open at 50% when permitted. Very happy to see that! They are awesome. https://bushwakker.com/

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 5:40 AM

Smoke's Poutinerie

Looks like Smokes is going into the old Michi spoke on Scarth Street downtown. At least, I think it is, unless the pandemic has killed it but the windows are covered in the Smoke's tartan.

Also noticed the second phase of the road work on Victoria Avenue is well on its way. Good year to do it with hardly any traffic downtown.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 7:38 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Looks like Smokes is going into the old Michi spoke on Scarth Street downtown. At least, I think it is, unless the pandemic has killed it but the windows are covered in the Smoke's tartan.

Also noticed the second phase of the road work on Victoria Avenue is well on its way. Good year to do it with hardly any traffic downtown.
Would be nice to see that spot filled.

And I thought the exact same thing about the Vic improvements. If we're looking for the silver lining, it's really a good year for the more disruptive improvements. I've been impressed with the work so far; long overdue on such a main street.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Would be nice to see that spot filled.

And I thought the exact same thing about the Vic improvements. If we're looking for the silver lining, it's really a good year for the more disruptive improvements. I've been impressed with the work so far; long overdue on such a main street.

I’ve already messaged the city hoping they will choose blooming varieties when they start planting the 70+ new trees. Would be amazing in spring time to have that stretch all in colour.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:00 PM

Another article today in the media about Regina restaurants and how many aren't opening on June 08 or won't survive. O'Hanlon's isn't reopening June 08. 20Ten isn't sure if it will re-open at all and had $2k of alcohol stolen in a break in this week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...sask-1.5591580

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:56 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 8:36 PM

New McDonald's

Do I like the proposed location? No.
Do I like going to the Albert & Dewdney location (which is the closest one to where I live)? Absolutely not!
The Albert & Dewdney location has become a scary place for a lot of people. What other McD's in Regina has needed to have security inside and out? I no longer go to this location, and I know a lot of others don't either, especially women.

A better location for the new McD's would have been by the liquor store, but that might not be fair to the Burger King opened in the last few years.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:58 PM

Writing was on the wall, but Hunter Gatherer is closing for good. Really too bad - I was a fan and like that little strip of commercial businesses.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:08 PM
arf

I saw some lights on at The Capital the other day. Looks like work is being done inside of some sort. I know the rumour was they were rebranding and changing menu.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Writing was on the wall, but Hunter Gatherer is closing for good. Really too bad - I was a fan and like that little strip of commercial businesses.
They've been vandalized 4 or 5 times and had a bad fire. Luck was just not with them.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:04 PM

Lancaster Taphouse is opening in the old Capitol location on Hamilton. I assume they're opening a second location here & not moving from their current location in Harbour Landing?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Lancaster Taphouse is opening in the old Capitol location on Hamilton. I assume they're opening a second location here & not moving from their current location in Harbour Landing?
I believe that is true, at least it was pre-covid.
I had heard the HL location was always quite busy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Probably a good move. Pub style seems to be the trend these days. I will definitely try to give them business. Their food has always been good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan